2018 Dead Pool

February 21st, 2018 at 9:49:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I really did not have much of an opinion on Billy.
He seemed like an ok guy.
Franklin on the other hand I cant stand
A fake Christian filled with lots of hate
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 21st, 2018 at 10:19:41 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: petroglyph
That reminds me of those hard sell condo's in LV. Listen to the hard sales pitch until you weaken and think about buying a condo, next morning is all screaming, what did I do?

Exactly!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 21st, 2018 at 10:28:39 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
One bad thing is I've never liked the tactic of the "alter call" to get converts. His crusades.

Billly's crusades weren't nearly as
much fun as the Catholic crusades.
He didn't force nearly as many
Jews into Xtionity and as the Catholics
did..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 21st, 2018 at 12:57:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
Billly's crusades weren't nearly as
much fun

I sometimes tried to watch his talks when they would broadcast them when I was a kid. It was really an hour of boredom. And I don't find that to be true of all religious speakers.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 21st, 2018 at 1:26:28 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
I sometimes tried to watch his talks when they would broadcast them when I was a kid. It was really an hour of boredom. And I don't find that to be true of all religious speakers.

agree

I didn't hear anything bigoted, but couldn't listen for long so maybe I missed it
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 21st, 2018 at 4:08:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
From my reading, Billy was very hard core "Jesus or eternal hell" in his younger days but moved towards the center in his later years. I don't think he emphasized the controversial topics like homosexuality in his later years but may have addressed him if put on the spot in an interview.

My favorite televangelist, by the way, is Gene Scott. He probably wasn't known outside the Los Angeles area but when I was a kid he would have seemingly endless sermons about the end times and who knows what else. Sometimes he would say something like he wouldn't stop until $x was raised over the phone lines. He was known to get quite angry at times. Here is a little clip.

direct link

He is only my favorite for the entertainment value.
February 21st, 2018 at 4:25:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
He is only my favorite for the entertainment value.

The world is full of Xtion nut cases,
that religion does that to people.

This is my fave ex preacher, the first
30 seconds are a hoot:

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 21st, 2018 at 5:01:24 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I didn't know he was an ex preacher. He was great as Al Bundy's guardian angel on Married With Children.
February 21st, 2018 at 5:10:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
I didn't know he was an ex preacher. He was great as Al Bundy's guardian angel on Married With Children.

Sam was a fire and brimstone Evangelical
preacher from when he was a kid. He
wised up and dumped organized religion
as an adult.

February 21st, 2018 at 5:18:04 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
From my reading, Billy was very hard core "Jesus or eternal hell" in his younger days but moved towards the center in his later years. I don't think he emphasized the controversial topics like homosexuality in his later years but may have addressed him if put on the spot in an interview.

My favorite televangelist, by the way, is Gene Scott. He probably wasn't known outside the Los Angeles area but when I was a kid he would have seemingly endless sermons about the end times and who knows what else. Sometimes he would say something like he wouldn't stop until $x was raised over the phone lines. He was known to get quite angry at times. Here is a little clip.

I remember Gene Scott but a much older version then the above
Lived in Maryland and his show would be on late late nite TV
I considered him somewhat of a goof ball
He played sax sometimes
Sometimes he would play some religious song video over and over and over. At the end of the below Video, Gene says play it again. That was typical and funny. They played it over and over. lol
A bizarre late nite TV show that was so out there, I watched it sometimes cause it was kind of weird preaching
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gene+scott+songs+video&view=detail&mid=E711E320E670A62C3D04E711E320E670A62C3D04&FORM=VIRE
I think I made a small donation once just to get on the mailing list
Pre internet. He seemed pretty interesting. Only way to learn more about the guy was to get on the mailing list
I had a supervisor back then that was very religious, I asked her about Gene Scott. She said she saw the late nite show and said the guy needs a lot of help. lol
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"