2018 Dead Pool

August 24th, 2018 at 4:54:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
I have thought many times how the Frasier series would never be filmed for a G audience today, way to non pc. Also of note both Niles and Martin were both gay in real life, but were able to joke about gayness on the show.

I used to watch it when it was in its original run, but can't figure out what you mean.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 24th, 2018 at 5:29:29 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
I used to watch it when it was in its original run, but can't figure out what you mean.
They joke as if being gay is an insult to society, and afaik nobody sued anybody over being personally insulted that someone would makes jokes about gay people. That would be to revolting to today's pc audience.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 24th, 2018 at 6:20:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
It's not the same. It's not week by
week in prime time throwing it
in your face that they live that
way and you don't on one of the
big 3 networks.

The difference was the 80s were the first decade in 70 years where it was so out there, and there was so much "new" luxury that it made a show. I never watched it, was boring to me.
The President is a fink.
August 24th, 2018 at 6:25:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ayecarumba
Robin Leach of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" fame. passed away today, just a few days shy of his 77th birthday.

Oh no! This is the first I've heard. He found a good niche for himself and milked it good for a long time. I watched the show quite a bit when it was on. I liked the parodies of Leech on Saturday Night Live.

For what little it's worth (nothing), he died the same day as my guinea pig, which I mentioned at WoV: MARCY -- RIP.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 24th, 2018 at 6:27:13 PM permalink
rxwine
They joke as if being gay is an insult to society, and afaik nobody sued anybody over being personally insulted that someone would makes jokes about gay people. That would be to revolting to today's pc audience.

Still don't see what you're talking about. Maybe AMS would agree with you.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 24th, 2018 at 6:37:57 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Still don't see what you're talking about. lol Now I don't see what you are talking about.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 24th, 2018 at 6:47:51 PM permalink
rxwine
I don't how many variations of jokes on tv I've seen where one person thinks the other person is straight or gay but is not. Been done on every TV show which is from that era and on practically and still is, as far as I know. Other variations include dating people finding out they dating an unknown relative or sister or brother or even their best friends mother..
August 24th, 2018 at 7:04:14 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Still don't see what you're talking about. Maybe AMS would agree with you.

Never seen an episode of Fraiser in my life.

Friends is the same way. Lots of jokes that people would consider “homophobic” today that would never make it on air. Doesn’t bother me though. I still love Friends.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 24th, 2018 at 8:34:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
Never seen an episode of Fraiser in my life..

Totally believe you. Best sitcom ever
on TV, strong and funny and clever
writing till the end. I'm sure it went
right over the heads of many who saw
it. Probably for the best that you never
watched.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 24th, 2018 at 8:43:36 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Also of note both Niles and Martin were both gay in real life, but were able to joke about gayness on the show.

"Isn't it funny that gayness....rhymes with anus."
– Sarah Silverman

Yes Sarah, I think it is.