Anyone find something funny in their DNA test?

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
January 11th, 2018 at 3:39:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 118
Quote: Pacomartin
I'm not saying my family didn't have connections, I'm just saying they weren't Italian.

Is that the Butcher of Belgrave, or
just the village butcher..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 21st, 2018 at 4:26:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 345
I found a article relevant to this:

https://gizmodo.com/how-dna-testing-botched-my-familys-heritage-and-probab-1820932637?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

Salient points:

Quote:
As Adam Rutherford, a British geneticist and author of the excellent book “A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived,” explained to me, we’ve got a fundamental misunderstanding of what an ancestry DNA test even does.

“They’re not telling you where your DNA comes from in the past,” he told me, “They’re telling you where on Earth your DNA is from today.”

And

Quote:
That the data sets are primarily made up of paying customers also skews demographics. If there’s only a small number of Middle Eastern DNA samples that your DNA has been matched against, it’s less likely you’ll get a strong Middle Eastern match.
Donald Trump is a fucking liar
May 27th, 2018 at 1:17:12 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 18
I signed up for ancestry.com and it is great entertainment for me. It was pretty easy to trace some family back to the civil war. One got killed at Andersonville. All kinds of side story's, wedding licenses etc. Hard to quit searching. Pictures of headstones of ancestors, some with recent flowers and flags? Cool beans.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
May 27th, 2018 at 11:22:49 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 118
Quote: petroglyph
I signed up for ancestry.com and it is great entertainment for me.

I went thru that phase and got
so bored with my boring family
I gave up. It's like, if you think
your life is boring, just buy a video
camera. You'll soon confirm it and
the camera will gather dust.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 27th, 2018 at 12:57:58 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 18
Quote: Evenbob
I went thru that phase and got
so bored with my boring family
I gave up. It's like, if you think
your life is boring, just buy a video
camera.
That is probably me, too. I was the youngest in my family, and my dad was the youngest of his, so by the time I was old enough to ask questions,
most were gone. I was a good target for all the genealogy commercials. I signed on for 6 months, and will try to get my fill of it before renewal.

My sister, 15 years or so ago, paid for one of those family tree services and gave me a copy. Not many lines were filled in. It is impressive how much data has been added to the searchable bank since then. With a few clicks, it is pretty easy to acquire a lot more info than what she paid for. I like the photo's of particularly the wedding licenses, they are all signed and dated, and name kin.

Quote:
You'll soon confirm it and
the camera will gather dust.
Good analogy. I've paid for some good cameras in the past. My brother finally shared the old 8mm movies that my folks took. I watched them like you say, and they are stored in a box, gathering dust. The format has changed in over 50 years as well.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
Page 5 of 5« First<2345