2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

April 26th, 2020 at 5:20:51 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
You were too young I guess.

When it was politically good for him he said he threw his medals over the fence.

Years later when that looked bad he said he threw someone else's medals, not his.

He was an attention whore in the military and in politics. He took whatever position was good for him at the time. Just a typical liberal pol.

A hero? Not one bit. He basically said under oath that he committed war crimes for crying out loud.

Compared to Trump?

Complete hero, so is John McCain, so it's not partisan, both volunteered for dangerous duty that they could have easily got out of...
April 26th, 2020 at 5:28:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler
Biden was never in the military. He was a student at the time of the draft.

I was never in the military because my lottery number was too high. My number was in the 340s , don't think they ever got past 100 in the lottery. There were lots of ways not to get drafted besides actually dodging it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 26th, 2020 at 5:33:00 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Evenbob
I was never in the military because my lottery number was too high. My number was in the 340s , don't think they ever got past 100 in the lottery. There were lots of ways not to get drafted besides actually dodging it.

That is different.

Trump actively seeked a medical deferment....
April 26th, 2020 at 5:49:16 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Gandler has no idea what I mean,
he was 10 in 04. lol

🤣🤣

Now I understand why he writes what he does. He's like one of those first-year law students who talks like he's on the Supreme Court lol
April 26th, 2020 at 5:57:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
That is different.

It just ticks you off that you got sucked into joining the military and Trump was smarter than that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 26th, 2020 at 7:07:02 PM permalink
Gandler
It just ticks you off that you got sucked into joining the military and Trump was smarter than that.

lol I am in the Army Reserves and I love it.

Best choice I made.

My only regret is not joining right out of high school (or in high school, if I could go back in time I would do split ops where you do basic the summer between junior and senior year of HS, and then do rotc in college) .

I drill two days a month, best part time job you can have. I get paid to do most things people pay to do (certifications, travel, education)....

I am sorry that you have such a negative opinion of the American Military, it's a great organization and a great experience. And, does a lot of good for the world...
April 27th, 2020 at 3:03:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
That is different.

So what? Lots of people did.

If he was a Democrat the liberals would make a hero out of him for doing so.

Notice the liberals who complain about this did not vote for their hero McCain.
The President is a fink.
April 27th, 2020 at 4:44:42 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Biden was never in the military. He was a student at the time of the draft.

"Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden received five student draft deferments during the Vietnam War, the same number of deferments received by Vice President Dick Cheney, and later was disqualified from service because of earlier asthma."

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Biden-deferred-disqualified-from-Vietnam-duty-3196927.php

"In all, Trump secured five deferments from the Vietnam War draft, four of which were because he was still studying at college. The fifth and final deferment was granted on medical grounds after a doctor signed Trump off as having bone spurs in his heels."

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-vietnam-war-draft-urges-youth-join-military-1447665

Looks like both candidates have similar records regarding Vietnam. Both asthma and bone spurs are disqualifying conditions and either could have been "made up" to get disqualified. Asthma was often self-reported (and people disqualified for it) while I was working at Military Entrance Processing Stations. Both could easily have been faked with a friendly doctor. Heck, all my HS sports physicals were signed by a doctor I was never examined by...he just came to the window and signed them as a favor to my parents.

The difference between my time processing entrants and that of the time frame these two grew up in was that the ones I worked with wanted to be in; in the Vietnam era, many did not want to pass.
April 27th, 2020 at 4:58:32 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
lol I am in the Army Reserves and I love it.

Thank you for your service.
April 27th, 2020 at 6:25:13 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

Why the hostility towards military service?

Are you one of those folks that denigrates military service overall but wants to send the military in to conflicts when necessary?