KNathan's Corner

Thread Rating:

August 21st, 2019 at 4:41:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Think of the metaphors and euphemisms in that post.
August 21st, 2019 at 4:45:02 PM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
Quote: Fleastiff
Think of the metaphors and euphemisms in that post.

No, not a metaphor. My face is burning.
August 21st, 2019 at 4:58:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I am about halfway done with my semi-annual refrigerator purge. The stuff that gets out of date when you live alone......
The President is a fink.
August 21st, 2019 at 5:26:50 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
I am about halfway done with my semi-annual refrigerator purge. The stuff that gets out of date when you live alone......

That stuff doesn't get so bad here, the poorhouse holds frequent inspections of microwaves, stoves, refrigerators and the like. I've been on the new air filter list for two months now.

The worst violators don't let the inspectors in and no one wants to press the issue so they just wait until its obviously Medical Examiner time and then hire hazmat crews to gut the entire apartment.
August 24th, 2019 at 4:29:29 PM permalink
KNathan
Quote: KNathan
So filled out my Jury Duty Paperwork. I have been put in a pool of possible Jurors and they MIGHT select me. I will possibly help decide someone's fate. Ironically , in The Murder Mystery Game where I attempted to book someone I KNEW wasn't the Criminal due to being fatigued, him being the last suspect and him having a filmsy Alibi. But deep down inside I know in real life, I wouldn't just book someone I know wasn't the Criminal due to being fatigued.

And, I have been officially selected for Jury Duty. ....:/ Drats.... I have to report to the Courthouse on Monday! :/
August 25th, 2019 at 7:15:21 PM permalink
KNathan
Any tips for me for tomorrow's Jury Duty? :/ :) I guess what I just did could be considered a nervous smile.
August 25th, 2019 at 7:25:58 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: KNathan
Any tips for me for tomorrow's Jury Duty? :/ :) I guess what I just did could be considered a nervous smile.

I think you should be proud to serve on a jury and happy to serve your country.

However, if you want to get out of it, after they explain the facts of the case, say that your mind is already made up. For example, if it is a criminal trial, say you trust the police and if they said "he did it," then that's good enough for you to render a guilty verdict.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 25th, 2019 at 7:55:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I think you should be proud to serve on a jury and happy to serve your country.
However, if you want to get out of it, after they explain the facts of the case, say that your mind is already made up.

Well the judge is looking for people who are just trying to get out of jury duty. If you are too blunt he is going to give you the third degree.

(1) I said once that the defendent looked like he had been told by his attorney to pretend like he is taking notes. But I didn't see him write a thing and he was just giving the evil eye to every juror. I told the judge I couldn't feel imagine him as innocent because he was obviously play-acting.

(2) In the case of a grandmother on trial for kidnapping her grandchildren, I said that I thought the state must believe they have a solid case. My reasoning was you don't bring family members up on a charge that serious with a multiple year prison sentence and considering the cost of a jury trial if there was any sort of acceptable plea bargain. In that case the defense lawyer dismissed me. I think he was looking for grandparents who had done some action "for the good of their family" that could empathize with this woman who was just trying to keep her family together. Since I was childless, I didn't fit the bill.

The judge can dismiss anyone he feels that is biased, but he is the toughest to convince. The lawyers get 5 dismissals apiece where they don't have to give a reason. Everyone tells you not to use your personal feelings, and make your decision based solely on the law. Jury nullification is illegal, but every defense lawyer is looking for jurors who will nulllify the law.
August 25th, 2019 at 7:59:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Well the judge is looking for people

My wife and 2 of her sisters
have been called 4 times and
been sent home every time
because they weren't needed.
Jury trials are very uncommon
these days, too expensive.
You go there and sit for hours
and they tell you to leave.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 25th, 2019 at 10:38:01 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I usually tell them that innocent until proven guilty is just a legal fiction, no different than a 90 year old woman being able to conceive, a corporation being a person or a judge being sober. I also say if they want to know about bumper stickers they can go out and look, I won't tell them though.