Seinfeld fans

Page 4 of 4<1234
August 17th, 2015 at 8:52:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
I thought Paco meant dated in the techniques and methods used in the media itself, not the surroundings.

Yes, I should have been more clear. The technical details of The Goldbergs seems so much more dated than I Love Lucy.
The Goldbergs and I love Lucy were on the same network, and the roughly the same time and day, only a year apart.
CBS The Goldbergs 9:30 Monday 1950-1951
CBS I Love Lucy 9:00 Monday 1951-1952

Presumably the details of the story would be a little different since the Goldbergs were set in pre WWII America.

====================
Here is an interesting bit of trivia.
NBC moved Seinfeld in it's fourth season from Wednesday Night to Thursday Night (after Cheers) where it went from #42 to #1.
NBC started a different show Thursday Night after Cheers, and switched to Wednesday where it went from #11 to #77.
This show was more or less a contemporary of Seinfeld. Seinfeld pilot premiered in summer between seasons #1 and #2 of this show, and Seinfeld's second season with four episodes was shown in the summer between seasons #2 and #3. What is the name of the show?

Despite having 90 episodes this sitcom has not been shown since 2004.
August 18th, 2015 at 6:29:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
What is the name of the show?

If the photo is of that show, then "Dear John."

I recall seeing it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 18th, 2015 at 8:22:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
If the photo is of that show, then "Dear John."
I recall seeing it.

It comes under the "nobody knows anything in show business". You have Bob Ellison, who created Mary Tyler Moore, and what was the most popular show on NBC, Cheers. Ellison teams up with Judd Hirsch (popular star of "Taxi" from 5 years earlier) to create a Cheers like sitcom to follow Cheers. Ratings are not doing well for a this plum time slot. Eventually the show begins spinning towards the bottom. They move it to Wednesdays, then to Fridays and finally to Saturdays (the death night). Finally they are airing shows in the summer and the last 4 episodes never get aired. But they make it to 90 episodes. But it is finally pulled from syndication because it is not very popular.

At the same time Seinfeld gets a summer pilot and just barely gets four more episodes for the following summer. Then 12 episodes for a winter replacement. Finally it gets a full season of 23 episodes. Then it is moved behind Cheers and it loses only a few percentage points of total audience and begins to beat Cheers in the ratings for the age 50 and under.

As Jerry Seinfeld said, beating the show on before you is almost unprecedented in television. TV business is all about retaining the biggest share possible of the preceding show. The audience almost never gets bigger.
August 18th, 2015 at 8:33:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
It comes under the "nobody knows anything in show business".

It's very hard to make a hit show when success depends on it being popular. I suppose all network shows aim, or at least aspire, to be a hit. using a known formula is reasonable, but when does the public want more formula and when are they ready for something new? Do they even know it?

Many of the people involved in producing Seinfeld tried to follow it up with a similar formula in "It's like, you know." It wasn't bad at all, there were good jokes, good vague premises, even good acting, but the characters somehow never meshed. To be fair they added some conventional elements, like the guy lusting after the girl but nothing ever really happens.

Oh, best exchange in the show, to me:

Arthur: I asked for no mayo.
Waiter: I didn't believe you.

Also, no one really knows anything about which hot college prospect will make an elite QB in the NFL, or even a good backup QB.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 4 of 4<1234