Deadpool 2020

March 23rd, 2020 at 10:40:55 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Mike, I think that he did die with dignity. The fact that it was not immediate and he had dementia does not diminish the 'dignity' aspect of his death. You said he developed dementia years ago, but that picture is from 6 months ago. Look at his smile. If he had loved ones and friends who cared, that is where the dignity comes from.

I have a friend and ex partner (anesthesiologist) who is on that same path. He is still at least mostly coherent, but needs help with many tasks. His death, whenever it comes, will be with dignity.
March 23rd, 2020 at 10:49:58 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Is there a reason you left his
age out?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 23rd, 2020 at 11:13:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: SOOPOO
Mike, I think that he did die with dignity. The fact that it was not immediate and he had dementia does not diminish the 'dignity' aspect of his death. You said he developed dementia years ago, but that picture is from 6 months ago. Look at his smile. If he had loved ones and friends who cared, that is where the dignity comes from.

I have a friend and ex partner (anesthesiologist) who is on that same path. He is still at least mostly coherent, but needs help with many tasks. His death, whenever it comes, will be with dignity.

Thank you for your comments. It could have been much worse, like how my father went.

As to that picture, he was very happy to see me. We went out and had ice cream. However, on a normal day I'm told he just sat in his chair most of the day doing nothing. Sometimes he would forget which was his room and sit in somebody else's chair. However, it was the last three months that got much worse. He no longer could speak and had physical health issues. It did not help at all that his decline happened during the CV, when medical resources are spread thin. Also, none of his friends were able to visit, because they were afraid to fly or were elderly and didn't want to risk leaving their homes.

Maybe in my obituary, if you could call it that, I'm still expressing thoughts left over from my father's death.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 23rd, 2020 at 11:15:05 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Is there a reason you left his
age out?

To be honest, I'm not sure what it is. He got up there though, you can tell just by looking at him. He was still practicing home repair into his 70's.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 25th, 2020 at 8:10:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
However, it was the last three months that got much worse. He no longer could speak and had physical health issues.

I'm beginning to see that very few people get out by passing quickly in their sleep. I think you probably brought him a little more dignity to the end of his life then he might otherwise have had. At least he had a few afternoons for ice cream and to chat about a hobby.

Kudos for your warmth.
March 25th, 2020 at 8:42:40 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Having been present for likely more than 1000 deaths during my career, by the discussion here you all might classify nearly all of them as 'not dignified'. I think that is unfair. A death is a death. It should not be judged as dignified or not dignified.

The life lived can be judged as dignified. Not the death.
March 25th, 2020 at 8:47:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Not sure if this has been looked at again, but I remember reading about a study looking at whether dying people really can suspend their death to make it to a special event. It was claimed, but no real evidence people could hold off their death to attend the special event.

edit, not actually attend, but be alive and aware.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 25th, 2020 at 12:47:59 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: SOOPOO
Having been present for likely more than 1000 deaths during my career, by the discussion here you all might classify nearly all of them as 'not dignified'. I think that is unfair. A death is a death. It should not be judged as dignified or not dignified.

The life lived can be judged as dignified. Not the death.
Not if you die by auto- erotic asphyxiation.
March 26th, 2020 at 11:30:05 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Mark Blum, a veteran character actor who starred in the films "Desperately Seeking Susan" and "Crocodile Dundee," as well as the recent TV series "You," has died due to complications from the coronavirus. He was 69.

Couldn't tell you who he is, but I do remember the movies. DSS was one of the rare Madonna movies (who is not a very good actor IMO) but stars Patricia Arquette.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 26th, 2020 at 1:24:16 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Fred "Curly" Neal, the face of the Harlem Globetrotters for 22 years, died Thursday morning in Houston at the age of 77, the team announced on Twitter.

"For those who say the game has evolved? I say what's old is new again!" Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas tweeted Thursday. "... Curly Neal and Marcus Haynes taught me how to dribble."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28958864/globetrotters-legend-fred-curly-neal-dies-77