No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

February 29th, 2020 at 1:08:43 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
What should we make of this minor reporting discrepency?
"The Washington patient who died from the novel coronavirus was a man in his 50s, Dr. Jeffrey Duchin, health officer for Seattle and King County, Washington, said during a US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention news conference on Saturday.

This is the first death linked to the novel coronavirus in the United States.

Duchin said county health officials were made aware of the case on Friday. The patient had underlying health conditions.

“It was a male,” Duchin said. “This case was reported to us yesterday from the Washington State Public Health Laboratories as a presumptive positive, confirmation pending.”
President Trump and other health officials speaking at a White House press conference on Saturday said the person who died was a woman.

I know attention to detail is not a White House strong point, but how could such an alternative fact be reported by trump?

Might there actually be more than one dead? or was someone distracted or inattentive in a briefing?

This from Fox News
https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/videos/531335334426453/?t=99

"President Trump described the patient as a “wonderful woman” and a “medically high-risk patient” in her late 50s, at the news conference. Jeffrey Duchin, chief health officer for Seattle and King County, later clarified that the patient was a man in his 50s with underlying conditions."
February 29th, 2020 at 3:41:56 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: OnceDear
....I know attention to detail is not a White House strong point,,,,
Compared to what?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 29th, 2020 at 4:48:46 PM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: petroglyph
Compared to what?
Compared to say, a chimp typing out the complete works of Shakespeare.
Anyway. I got my answer. The esteemed Director of the CDC fell on his sword.

Dr. Robert Redfield, the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
A member of trump's caronavirus * Task Force: As seen on TV stood behind trump on Thursday and Saturday

https://twitter.com/CDCDirector/status/1233871051685318658

I think I'd earlier implied that the guys on stage were 'Yes-Men'. This one is more like road kill to a bus.
Seems they meant to say
"Mr President, the deceased was a male", but actually said
"Mr President, the deceased was a wonderful woman, a medically high-risk patient in her late 50s. "

All we need to hear now is why she was wonderful, whether 51 counts as late 50s and whether 'High-risk' means 'low-wealth'

* The devil is in the detail.
February 29th, 2020 at 4:55:33 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
some of us on this side of the pond view all this as important to take on with bipartisanship. I would hope the CDC looked at it that way
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 29th, 2020 at 5:18:41 PM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: odiousgambit
some of us on this side of the pond view all this as important to take on with bipartisanship. I would hope the CDC looked at it that way
It should be NON-partisan. His experts should not be fawning yes-men. But they are. Did you actually watch Thursday's presser? Those on stage were lined up to say how delighted they were to serve the great one.
See
at 14:00 for some great fawning.
That's why it's all the more cringeworthy when trumpy stands in front of his Coronavirus Response Team and uses it as a platform to badmouth named Democrats and even his own Fed chairman. Claiming that your stock market.... No, ALL stock markets, are plunging not in reaction to corona virus crisis (no matter how it's managed), but that they are reacting to recent Democrat appearances. Way to encourage Lyin' Chuck to work with him.

This Crisis IS NOT of trump's making. The market falls are not of his making. This is a crisis that could have struck any time, any leader.

But trump owns this. He claimed it. He's the leader that asserts he knows better than anyone, about anything and everything. He stands on stage and contradicts his experts, Talks cr4p about having a vaccine in a few months, setting his 'expert the task of qualifying that. Asserting that he doesn't believe or agree with his experts's assessment of the risks of contagion. He owns those child like assertions. He owns the choice of Pence to lead the task force / control the message, more like.
He's the guy who undermined the CDC by dismantling its structure and lobbying for funding cuts. Now, he says getting experts is easy. For every claim he makes, every assertion he makes... HE OWNS IT.
May your god help you.
February 29th, 2020 at 6:28:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: OnceDear
It should be NON-partisan. His experts should not be fawning yes-men. But they are. Did you actually watch Thursday's presser? Those on stage were lined up to say how delighted they were to serve the great one.
See
at 14:00 for some great fawning.
That's why it's all the more cringeworthy when trumpy stands in front of his Coronavirus Response Team and uses it as a platform to badmouth named Democrats and even his own Fed chairman. Claiming that your stock market.... No, ALL stock markets, are plunging not in reaction to corona virus crisis (no matter how it's managed), but that they are reacting to recent Democrat appearances. Way to encourage Lyin' Chuck to work with him.

This Crisis IS NOT of trump's making. The market falls are not of his making. This is a crisis that could have struck any time, any leader.

But trump owns this. He claimed it. He's the leader that asserts he knows better than anyone, about anything and everything. He stands on stage and contradicts his experts, Talks cr4p about having a vaccine in a few months, setting his 'expert the task of qualifying that. Asserting that he doesn't believe or agree with his experts's assessment of the risks of contagion. He owns those child like assertions. He owns the choice of Pence to lead the task force / control the message, more like.
He's the guy who undermined the CDC by dismantling its structure and lobbying for funding cuts. Now, he says getting experts is easy. For every claim he makes, every assertion he makes... HE OWNS IT.
May your god help you.

Pretty sure Trump hasn't changed one bit. He's still the guy who acts like science doesn't matter unless he thinks it's useful to him or harmful to him. I'm positive he had to be dragged kicking and screaming by facts to do as much as he has done.

Hard to root for a guy who isn't any better than before. Just be thankful he will have little choice.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 29th, 2020 at 7:37:57 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
There is a bet at 5dimes on whether the opening ceremony of the Olympics will go off on time:

Olympic Games Opening Ceremony to start on July 24th 2020 on or before 11:59pm Tokyo Time?

Yes -145
No +105

I am tempted to bet the "yes," but what do I know about epidemiology?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 29th, 2020 at 8:15:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
There is a bet at 5dimes on whether the opening ceremony of the Olympics will go off on time:

Olympic Games Opening Ceremony to start on July 24th 2020 on or before 11:59pm Tokyo Time?

Yes -145
No +105

I am tempted to bet the "yes," but what do I know about epidemiology?

Vote Yes, this virus thing is much ado about nothing..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 1st, 2020 at 12:00:08 AM permalink
quadriga
Threads: 0
The Olympics are the perfect way and the most efficient to spread a virus.

I'd take +110 against -110 on no, the Tokyo Games will not start on time. You'll be booking me.
March 1st, 2020 at 4:05:14 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: quadriga
..... the perfect way and the most efficient to spread a virus.

That would be the Hajj in Mecca, July 28 - Aug. 2.

Olympics July 28 - Aug. 9