No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

November 18th, 2020 at 4:56:05 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Tripdufan
Last three years of Obama netted 1.5 million MORE jobs than the first three years of Trump, BEFORE the pandemic.

How good were those jobs?

This Harvard/Princeton study by Howard Katz, and Obama White House economist Alan Kreuger, found nearly 95% of all the new jobs created during the Obama administration were part time or gig jobs.

“Regardless of the explanation for the growth in alternative work, our findings indicate that workers in alternative work arrangements earn considerably less per week than do regular employees with similar characteristics and in similar occupations. The earnings gap derives more from the fact that workers in alternative work arrangements work fewer hours per week than from the gap in hourly earnings (with the possible exception of employees of temporary help agencies). A larger share of alternative workers are involuntary part-time workers compared with employees in traditional jobs, suggesting that many workers in alternative work arrangements may be “hours constrained.”

As for the deficit. We covered this before. Nancy Pelosi's Congress decides how the money is spent. Not the president. They rejected Trump's proposed budget cuts. Nearly all of the increase in deficit spending during the Trump administration was due to mandatory spending. Federal tax revenues hit all time highs with Trump's tax cuts.
November 18th, 2020 at 5:16:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko
How good were those jobs?

This Harvard/Princeton study by Howard Katz, and Obama White House economist Alan Kreuger, found nearly 95% of all the new jobs created during the Obama administration were part time or gig jobs.

I knew a guy who loved Obama and hated Bush. I asked under who did he have temp jobs and who permanent.

His reply was not PG-13.
The President is a fink.
November 18th, 2020 at 5:32:14 AM permalink
Tanko
Quote: JCW09
Unemployment rates at 50 year lows in 2019 pre-pandemic. Unemployment lower than pre the 2008 financial crisis or before Y2K.
Black unemployment at all time lows of 5.4% in 2019 pre-pandemic (the previous low was 7% in 2000).
A 6.8% increase in family incomes in 2019.
American families employed making more money than ever pre-pandemic.
That is why 56% of Americans felt better off economically than they did in 2016.

Yet, most of them voted against him.

Lots of all time records set in 2019. Record low unemployment across every demographic, including the disabled. Real Income grew 7.9% for Blacks. Official poverty rate for Americans fell to an all time low 10.5%. Four million lifted out of poverty. 1.2 million Black Americans lifted out of poverty. Black poverty rate lowest in history. Number of children living in poverty fell to a near fifty year low. 2.8 million children lifted out of poverty. All of this was achieved in less than three years against a hostile Congress.

Despite those gains under Trump, Biden got nearly 90% of the Black vote.
November 18th, 2020 at 5:52:09 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Yet, most of them voted against him.

Lots of all time records set in 2019. Record low unemployment across every demographic, including the disabled. Real Income grew 7.9% for Blacks. Official poverty rate for Americans fell to an all time low 10.5%. Four million lifted out of poverty. 1.2 million Black Americans lifted out of poverty. Black poverty rate lowest in history. Number of children living in poverty fell to a near fifty year low. 2.8 million children lifted out of poverty. All of this was achieved in less than three years against a hostile Congress.

Just imagine if Donny didn't completely bungle his coronavirus response... He would have easily gotten re-elected!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 18th, 2020 at 6:26:15 AM permalink
Tanko
Quote: ams288
Just imagine if Donny didn't completely bungle his coronavirus response... He would have easily gotten re-elected!

What would you have done differently?

It takes more than ten years to develop a vaccine. The US already has two in less than nine months.
November 18th, 2020 at 6:30:01 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Don't hold superspreader events
Wear a mask
Convince righties to wear a mask
Convince righties to social distance
Convince republican governors to make masks mandatory
Listen to Dr Fauci
Be honest with the American people
Test test test test
Track track track
Go to all the virus taskforce meetings
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 18th, 2020 at 6:33:05 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Don't forget the Asian American vote. The hardest working highest educated demographic in the country. I'm Asian American, makes perfect sense to me to vote Dem
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 18th, 2020 at 6:37:53 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

1.) I wouldn't have "downplayed" the severity of the virus after being briefed on how serious it was. (Thank you Bob Woodward tapes)
2.) I wouldn't have made masks a political football - convincing my cult following that they are ineffective or "politically correct"
3.) I would have pushed hard for a CARES Act 2.0 in the fall. I truly believe this Oct. 6 tweet where he told the GOP to stop negotiating on stimulus cost him the election. Imagine if Americans had started receiving stimulus checks in late October....
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 18th, 2020 at 11:30:35 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Tripdufan
Unemployment and job growth trends that he inherited and actually under performed in. He created 1.5 million less jobs in his first three than Obama's last three.

https://www.thebalance.com/us-deficit-by-year-3306306

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-trumps-economy-went-from-rocket-ship-to-lead-balloon-2019-09-27

When I bring up deficit spending, what I mean is that ANYBODY could deficit spend in what they are classifying as a "booming" economy and get an average GDP. When economies boom, it's time to cut the deficit, not increase it. And as you can clearly see by "actual facts and figures" provided above in a sourced link, Trump ran a deficit in his "greatest economy ever". I would contend that 2.5% gdp, with under performing job growth, WHILE you are deficit spending, AFTER you promised 6% gdp (lmfao), is NOT the "greatest economy the world has ever seen." There was NOTHING special about it. Now, 6% gdp LIKE YOU PROMISED while creating more jobs than your predecessor WHILE also cutting the deficit, sure, you might have an argument for "greatest economy ever."

What would be nice is if conservatives weren't blatant hypocrites. They cried and moaned and bitched about the deficit being the biggest problem America was facing during the Obama years, but yet when they had "the greatest economy ever" with control of the purse strings, they ran an even bigger deficit? Oh kick rocks. You want to be taken seriously on ANY subject, at least pretend to be genuine.

And the reason he lost is because he wasn't honest about this and everything else he ever talked about. I don't mind having an honest discussion with people but we can't have a debate unless we agree on what's not up for debate, the FACTS.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N

You brought up income. It's true that median income was going up before the pandemic. But the trajectory before Trump was on the up as well! So your argument is "it was the greatest economy ever" while mine is "it was above average, not the greatest ever, and for the most part trends he inherited, while bringing trillion dollar deficits back."

Regardless of what you may believe, my mind can be changed. But Trump repeating "we had the greatest economy the world has ever seen" when the facts clearly show we've seen better economies isn't going to do it for me. It reeks of bullsh*t.

TLDR. I just can't read your drivel anymore. Trump, or his policies, or just luck, lowered unemployment amongst the "Black and Brown" communities to record levels. FACT. The stock market is up TRILLIONS of dollars EVEN in spite of the worst pandemic in a century. FACT. My few sentences trumps your blather.
November 18th, 2020 at 12:52:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
TLDR. I just can't read your drivel anymore. Trump, or his policies, or just luck, lowered unemployment amongst the "Black and Brown" communities to record levels. FACT. The stock market is up TRILLIONS of dollars EVEN in spite of the worst pandemic in a century. FACT. My few sentences trumps your blather.

IMO, the general attitude of Republicans about safety, health, environment, and security should make their economic engine more vigorous. In theory anyway, if not every day of every year.

Because you can't maximize something without sacrificing elsewhere. It's the damn law of NATURE! (or physics mostly).

And Trump, by all accounts of his approach to everything he does is the worst of all. By his approach, I mean, the likelihood that he had the facts at hand, or a study of everything he was deregulating or approving, leads me to conclude we were on the road to destruction. The kind of destruction that grows slowly over time like lung cancer, not the kind that rains down like volcanic ash. Because even Republicans aren't dumb enough to do things that show immediate harm.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?