No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

November 26th, 2021 at 8:53:04 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: OnceDear
A lot of Other countries about to get this new variant have multitudes of unvaccinated. At least in their defense. . . Nope. Got nothing. . . Does ignorance count?

Every one of us, un-vaccinated OR EVEN vaccinated. could be the incubator for the next, more deadly strain. We just need to do what we can to avoid catching it,
Test regularly to detect if we do catch it,
avoid giving it legs and
avoid giving it away.

Or we can just ignore it till it goes away. Hint. It's not going away.

That was the New Zealand plan for Covid. Lockdown the country completely and wait it out. Although effective short term they have now changed their plan to opening things up slowly and try and keep numbers manageable, but to let it run. They have decided that Covid isn't going away and their original plan was only delaying the inevitable.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 26th, 2021 at 9:13:20 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

One thing I note, with this situation and that of Evenbob's Wife, and of those friends I know that caught it.... Contagion within the home! .

I cannot keep up with all the people in my wife's family that have covid. Seems like every other day it's somebody new. Yesterday it's her 22 year old nephew he probably got it at church. He takes it home and his wife and kid get it. Luckily I live alone and very seldom go anywhere. And when I do I avoid getting close to anybody for longer than 5 Seconds. I had covid over a year-and-a-half ago but that was the original covid. I watch New York City walking videos everyday and almost nobody is wearing a mass now and the crowds are tremendous. Let's see how that plays out for them in the next month.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 26th, 2021 at 9:33:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
One thing I learned during my Thanksgiving visit, one of my female in-laws has been losing her hair since her covid infection. She wasn't vaccinated.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 26th, 2021 at 9:35:18 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: kenarman

Or we can just ignore it till it goes away. Hint. It's not going away.

That was the New Zealand plan for Covid. Lockdown the country completely and wait it out. Although effective short term they have now changed their plan to opening things up slowly and try and keep numbers manageable, but to let it run. They have decided that Covid isn't going away and their original plan was only delaying the inevitable.
Credit where it's due. Their strategy so far has kept TOTAL covid deaths down to 42, which is pretty spectacular.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/new-zealand/

But with the arrival of Delta, which is now in and circulating, they are pressing for vaccination to 'live with it'

Somewhat similar to UK government policy of reliance on the vaccine, while opening up. Time will tell.

Delta was one game changer. Nu might be the next. If Nu is resistant to the vaccines, or to existing antibodies, we could just need a rethink.

'Tain't over yet
November 26th, 2021 at 9:43:10 AM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: Evenbob
I cannot keep up with all the people in my wife's family that have covid. Seems like every other day it's somebody new. Yesterday it's her 22 year old nephew he probably got it at church. He takes it home and his wife and kid get it.
That's my observation. When one member of a household brings it home, the rest of the family are sitting ducks. Every person I know of that caught it , the entire household got it too.
Churches certainly seem to have a lot to answer for.
November 26th, 2021 at 9:51:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Credit where it's due. Their strategy so far has kept TOTAL covid deaths down to 42, which is pretty spectacular.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/new-zealand/

But with the arrival of Delta, which is now in and circulating, they are pressing for vaccination to 'live with it'

Somewhat similar to UK government policy of reliance on the vaccine, while opening up. Time will tell.

Delta was one game changer. Nu might be the next. If Nu is resistant to the vaccines, or to existing antibodies, we could just need a rethink.

'Tain't over yet

I'm not that worried. Although dangerous diseases aren't rare, ones with just the right qualities to both spread quickly and be dangerous to humans seem to be rare compared to all the viruses spreading and mutating. Because all viruses that spread enough will mutate.

Not only that, they need the quality of spreading without people knowing they are even sick to really get things going. And it also helps if the window of active infection is as wide as possible.

I'm probably wrong though. Hah. But most random mutations are failures if you're expecting to get certain specific qualities. It's like all those monkeys typing. Almost none of it will be Shakespeare.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 26th, 2021 at 9:59:05 AM permalink
Evenbob
That's my observation. When one member of a household brings it home, the rest of the family are sitting ducks. Every person I know of that caught it , the entire household got it too.
Churches certainly seem to have a lot to answer for.

Being around someone who's talking and not wearing a mask and has covid, they are spreading it like crazy. Going to a church where everybody is singing and it's a super spreader. The research shows that singing spreads it like five times faster then just talking. When you sing you take deep breaths and expel a lot of air through your mouth and nose. And covid mostly hides in the nose. Most of my wife's relatives are rabid Christians and are not vaccinated because they think God is going to protect them. So when one of them dies of covid I don't hear a word but when most of them survive they all praise God to the rafters. Like God has anything to do with covids 99% survival rate.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 26th, 2021 at 10:11:05 AM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: Evenbob
Being around someone who's talking and not wearing a mask and has covid, they are spreading it like crazy. Going to a church where everybody is singing and it's a super spreader. The research shows that singing spreads it like five times faster then just talking. When you sing you take deep breaths and expel a lot of air through your mouth and nose. And covid mostly hides in the nose. Most of my wife's relatives are rabid Christians and are not vaccinated because they think God is going to protect them. So when one of them dies of covid I don't hear a word but when most of them survive they all praise God to the rafters. Like God has anything to do with covids 99% survival rate.
Dammit man. I agree with you again.
'Rabid Christians' made me chuckle as I visualised them foaming at the mouth.
November 26th, 2021 at 10:21:47 AM permalink
Evenbob
Dammit man. I agree with you again.
'Rabid Christians' made me chuckle as I visualised them foaming at the mouth.

When you see them alone or in pairs, it's not bad. Get a whole bunch of them together where they're not afraid to act like fools, it's close to foaming at the mouth. The world treats me, an atheist, exactly like it treats them, except they don't see it that way. Because they single out every good thing that happens to them and give God credit for it.. I don't do that, I blame probability and common sense. And of course they totally ignore every bad thing that happens to them. God seems to have the exact same 'plan' for me as he does for them. That is to say, no plan at all. It's like in the death camps in Europe in World War II. The Jews prayed like crazy, they had huge prayer meetings in the camps that did them absolutely no good. Because God had no plan for them, but the Nazis did. And Nazi plans trump God's plans every time.
November 26th, 2021 at 3:42:14 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
So weak. The experts have decided that the Omicron variant is a big threat to the USA. So Biden is banning travel from the 8 South African countries that harbor the variant. But not starting until MONDAY!!!! How can you say it is unsafe but NOT start it immediately? It’s either unsafe, and then start the ban NOW, or it is not that big a deal and it can wait until Monday. Pathetic as usual. Apparently US citizens living in these countries will NOT be prevented from returning. Because, you know, the virus checks on your citizenship before infecting you…. It’s stupidity like this that has AZ and EB not wanting to trust anything our Biden administration tries to sell us.