1 vote (5%)
3 votes (15%)
2 votes (10%)

20 members have voted

May 26th, 2020 at 10:13:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
Thinking about not banking it but just setting it aside. Never know what may come up.
Might come in handy on my future RV adventures

Paypal is nearly as good as cash and much safer to carry around. You need to send for PayPal Cash Card which is free to use. Make sure you send for the correct one as PayPal offers at least three kinds of cards (PrePaid and Credit are not free).

To Deposit the Money put cash onto paypal for $3(walmart) - $4 at drug stores for any amount from $20 to $500 per day. Obviously if you are turning $3000 at Walmart it will take you six days and cost $18.

To use the money, and you can turn it back into cash in multiples of $20 for free at most 7-11s and at 33,000 surcharge-free MoneyPass ATMs throughout the country.
https://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.html

PayPal is easy to use online, and you can use it as a Mastercard with no credit limit in stores.
May 26th, 2020 at 10:28:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
My pop up has treated me well. A lot of minor issues but that's no big deal

That's because you've never
lived in it full time. It was designed
for a few weekends a year, not
365. And they're ALL severely
under powered, the engine
was not designed to haul
that much weight around full
time.

I'm looking forward till when
reality slaps you on the kisser.
Gleeful about it, actually. You'll
see.. lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 26th, 2020 at 10:43:02 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
was not designed to haul
time.

see.. lol

Do you understand that his pop-up does not have a motor? Also, the RV he is looking at buying doesn;t have a motor.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 26th, 2020 at 10:51:25 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
If I had to pick the biggest
sucks about RV living,
besides the huge number
of low life's that do it,
it would be these. Everytime
you drive one, it's like a
mini earthquake to the RV.
They're designed to be
used a few times a year,
not full time.
Cheap stuff is cheap stuff. Many of the better quality units use the same diesel engines and Big Allison automatic transmissions that are used in commercial trucking. Same thing for the frame and other steering components. A little research before buying into the complaints and durability is a good idea.

The ones that I am leery of are the ones powered with ten cylinder gas engines, and the frame and suspension are lighter duty. If you get one with Freightliner or Cummins drive train, you are essentially driving an over the road light duty semi truck. Those are made to withstand road abuse for hundreds of thousands of miles.
But that's the drive train, that's the only place I can see your associates being forced to the side of the road with a 2400 dollar bill? Yeah, tires are expensive, really expensive. They have air ride suspensions that will allows semi's to pass and vice versa without undue wind sway.

How else would you suggest someone that wants to do a lotta lotta traveling, seeing all the national parks and sites America has to offer, coast to coast travel and board? You either spend your nights eating out, or you take the means with you and eat/sleep as you do at home. With most of the creature comforts you expect.

No, internet, tv, nothing is as nice, as in a home you have made comfortable over years of living there. Where would you sleep making that kind of journey? I've had plenty of surprises in hotels. You obviously like your own cooking, and I don't like eating out. So what's the answer, other than fixing rv's sucks?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 26th, 2020 at 10:56:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Most things are a matter of planning and being prepared where possible.

There's also the learning curve which makes things easier as time goes on. Unless you keep making the same mistakes which is not the idea.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 26th, 2020 at 11:00:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Terapined could be one of the trail hikers that EB likes to watch. I don't know how easy it is to sleep in the wilderness every night, but it certainly doesn't need too much major machinery maintenance.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 26th, 2020 at 11:22:33 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
was not designed to haul
time.

see.. lol
You haven't looked at the turbo diesels that they are putting even in moderate priced rv's lately. Four and five hundred turbo charged diesel power is what is being used in freight hauling, and good motorhomes. Don't use a gasoline engine to haul anything with commercial sized weight. Putting gas engines in motorhomes was a ruse.

Were the complainants towing a vehicle? Towing an extra 4k pounds should be allowed for in the horsepower purchase. It sounds like these folks that jumped out of city life into an RV didn't have much experience. Was it their first year RVing, before they quit? Lots of people should not ever get behind the wheel of a motorhome, and that is a fact. If they've never driven anything bigger than an Impala, then jump into a 35-40ft. mh and tow a rig behind, no wonder they would hate that. Small steps.

I hauled equipment on a Freightliner for a utility. It only had 430 horsepower, but even hauling a hydraulic trailer with both a JD 450 bulldozer and a case backhoe on the trailer, I could still pass cars in town, with ease.

Years ago, there was always a motorhome ahead of a line of cars. I don't see that very often anymore. Maybe it's the driver checking out the sites and not the machines ability?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 26th, 2020 at 11:49:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
Terapined could be one of the trail hikers that EB likes to watch. I don't know how easy it is to sleep in the wilderness every night,

Most of them stay in a motel
at least once a week for 1 or
2 days. It's the only way to keep
your sanity. Setting up camp
and tearing it down and eating
crap food gets real old real fast.

It costs an average of $1000 a
month to hike the AT or
the PCT. Al lot of that is for
motels and restaurant meals.
They call them zero days
because you make zero progress
on the hike.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 26th, 2020 at 4:08:17 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph

How else would you suggest someone that wants to do a lotta lotta traveling, seeing all the national parks and sites America has to offer, coast to coast travel and board? You either spend your nights eating out, or you take the means with you and eat/sleep as you do at home.

I don't plan on eating out much
I plan on doing a lot of cooking. Its healthier and usually tastes better
I know what I am getting into because I spent 2 1/2 weeks last year in my camper and loved it
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 26th, 2020 at 4:24:45 PM permalink
Evenbob

I know what I am getting into because I spent 2 1/2 weeks last year in my camper and loved it

LOLOLOLOL!!! I love talk like that,
thinking 18 days in a confined
space is the same as 365+.
This just gets better and better..

In a local mall every spring
they had an RV show. If we
happened to be in the mall
we would tour them. These
were the monsters, the ones
for $200K and up. We were
always appalled that people
would take one of these over
a house. Everything was so
mini and so cute. Small stove
and fridge and sink. Small
everything in the bathroom.
A huge bed that would be
a nightmare to make every
day. I was always claustrophobic
by the end. Shudder..
Page 18 of 21« First<15161718192021>