1 vote (5%)
1 vote (5%)
3 votes (15%)
2 votes (10%)

20 members have voted

May 26th, 2020 at 5:10:01 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I will say it's beneficial to have a home base or basecamp somewhere.

Thinking about it, although I lived in rv's, several different ones, I had a function to do most of the days. I worked, mostly more than 8 hour days often 6 days per week. Than usually spent an hour or two cooling off in a bar. By the time that was done, I was ready to shower and rest and get up and go again.

I've also spent a total of many months camping out, seeing the sights. But mostly only went to rv parks to for a dump station and refill the necessary's. For making and breaking camps hunting, fishing, rock hunting etc. Nothing beats a hard sided camper. I used to tent, and it took hours to set and break down, bugs, dirt etc.

I got great service from my ten or so different rv's over the years. But a home base is good, necessary really. Mail was always a hassle for me. Payments are all online these days, but the really important mail, comes via USPS. Friends get tired of storing your stuff eventually. But taking a few years and rv'ing is great. It doesn't have to be permanent. I have a friend that travels by RV so he doesn't get hassled for his dog. Have you ever had lousy neighbors and been tied to the residence next door? That sucks. Freedom was pretty important to me. How else you going to see the "Mother road"? I think toyhaulers are pretty neat.

365 will wear on a guy, but it doesn't have to be ugly. Take a couple months a year and stay in a nice place, or fly somewhere. One of my favorite things has always been, leaving town.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 26th, 2020 at 5:27:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Mail was always a hassle for me. Payments are all online these days, but the really important mail, comes via USPS. Friends get tired of storing your stuff eventually.

Law firms will usually provide this service. I knew a guy was going to RV with his wife in retirement, probably that means now. He said they had a law firm that would do it for him. A young firm would love the business.
The President is a fink.
May 26th, 2020 at 5:40:24 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Law firms will usually provide this service. I knew a guy was going to RV with his wife in retirement, probably that means now. He said they had a law firm that would do it for him. A young firm would love the business.

Yeah there are many places that offer mail services that allow you to get a real street address as well (required for some stuff).

Some will scan it automatically so you can view it online. Some require you to pick it up in person (which if you are traveling constantly kind of defeats the purpose).
May 26th, 2020 at 5:44:03 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I had a friend letting me use his address of a PO box, he left town for a while and didn't check it. I had a jury notice sitting in his box and I ran past the date. IDK if I was lucky or not, my wife knew the people at city hall. But it was enough to skip a beat.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 26th, 2020 at 5:55:09 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I got a buddy that says I can use his address for important stuff and for residency purposes.
I've also heard of mail forwarding services I could purchase
May also camp in his backyard before starting out.
Yea, the popup got a little tiresome setting up. Gonna love a hard sided. Can easily take a comfortable nap at a rest area
I got to look into extending my Lisc sticker on the back of my truck. expires Dec. Have to return RV lisc tomorrow so will ask if I can buy a 2 year sticker this early. Don't see why not, more money to the taxman.
I'm heading west 1st because I've never really driven west. Taking a southern rout.
Its all a general plan. spend winter in AZ, then head east through middle of country via route 66 then toward FL.
I have hand carved Asian furniture I need to come back for. Coffee table, 2 chests and 2 end tables. None huge so it wont cost a lot to store.
Got to come back for those and deliver to my nephew in Baltimore. He really wants them.
Who knows, I may travel only a few months and find paradise and stay there, may keep travelling. I don't really know what's in my future. I may live at a stop for a nite, few nites, week, month, a few months. who knows. Play it by ear.
I'm the perfect person for this. I live in a big place yet rarely utilize it.
If I'm home and not sleeping or working, I spend 100% on my time in the kitchen. I have a kitchen table with my laptop, rolling comfortable chair. Put my feet up on another kitchen chair and I have a good sized TV in there. I rarely watch the big screen in the living room. I like cold drinks and food a chair roll away. Totally happy just staying in my kitchen whenever home watching TV, surfing internet, reading, video games.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 27th, 2020 at 7:28:56 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Evenbob
I'm looking forward till when
reality slaps you on the kisser.
Gleeful about it, actually. You'll
see.. lol

Why can't you just be happy with Ed's decision to retire and his plan to at least try seeing more of the country in the way that he believes he will like? I know that he is on the other side of politics, but I wish everyone here success and good things in spite of what they might say about me or my comments. Being a keyboard warrior allows people to say things they would not say in public; it is just part of the deal. I don't have to agree with their positions on issues to wish them well; I just hope that they lose the elections. The really bad people don't exist here for very long....
May 27th, 2020 at 8:43:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Yeah there are many places that offer mail services that allow you to get a real street address as well (required for some stuff).

Some will scan it automatically so you can view it online. Some require you to pick it up in person (which if you are traveling constantly kind of defeats the purpose).

You would probably get an address from them and they would handle your mail. You would only need one for your drivers license, unless you live in AZ and it lasts to age 65 no matter what. Tax bills and correspondence. Registration and insurance for the ruins vacations vehicle and your car. Few other things. Most mail is junk mail, er sorry Face, LOW VALUE MAIL.

Mostly in college but a few other times my parents got my mail. But they never quite got the hang of looking at the return address to see what was important and what was not.
The President is a fink.
May 27th, 2020 at 9:38:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: RonC
Why can't you just be happy with Ed's decision to retire and his plan to at least try seeing more of the country in the way that he believes he will like?

Because I can't stand 'Ed', duh.
Isn't that fairly obvious?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 27th, 2020 at 10:16:17 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
Why can't you just be happy with Ed's decision to retire and his plan to at least try seeing more of the country in the way that he believes he will like? I know that he is on the other side of politics, but I wish everyone here success and good things in spite of what they might say about me or my comments. Being a keyboard warrior allows people to say things they would not say in public; it is just part of the deal. I don't have to agree with their positions on issues to wish them well; I just hope that they lose the elections. The really bad people don't exist here for very long....

Let him be filled with hate
I don't care
On the flip side
Even though I disagree with EB
I would never hope something bad happens to him or any conservative on this site.
A lot of conservatives put up some great posts such as Petro. Kernar, Soo, Ron, drich ect
This would be a boring place if everybody agreed. I love the logical point counter point.
I wish all members on this site, even Shrek (so filled with hate for the left, sad), good health and I hope you all find happiness in your lives
I'm searching for my happiness, its a life long quest for all of us
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 27th, 2020 at 10:40:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
Let him be filled with hate
I don't care

Yeah, I'm the one that's the
hater. LOLOLOL!!!
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 19 of 21« First<161718192021>