The City on Fire

June 13th, 2020 at 12:40:36 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
I guess you didn't agree with my point last time I made it. Have you ever been harassed repeatedly by someone, or at least bothered by someone repeatedly?

It wasn't the final fight, or whatever that went down. It wasn't just about that final thing.

The killing is just the breaking point of a string of repeated behaviors.

Riots and looting--usually destroying things in the are where many of the people they are supposedly "protesting" to be helped--are criminal acts. Protesting, an act that can easily be done without property or violent crimes, is not the same thing. You act like a thug, you get treated like a thug.

How many people have died as a result of the horrible behavior?

How many people have been hurt?

The message gets lost in the crime spree that many local leaders are complicit in, but I must have missed any liberal here speaking out about the message taking a back seat to criminal activities.
June 13th, 2020 at 12:43:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
I guess you didn't agree with my point last time I made it. Have you ever been harassed repeatedly by someone, or at least bothered by someone repeatedly?

It wasn't the final fight, or whatever that went down. It wasn't just about that final thing.

No I have not.

And, I have no been harassed by the police because I am not a career criminal. When I get a citation for something I accept it (because I am usually in the wrong, and if I am not I can fight it in court).

There is no string of repeated behaviors. The math shows that that there is no racial disparity.

So you don't think black people get stopped more often with no other underlying reason but skin color?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 13th, 2020 at 12:49:13 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

No I have not.

And, I have no been harassed by the police because I am not a career criminal. When I get a citation for something I accept it (because I am usually in the wrong, and if I am not I can fight it in court).

There is no string of repeated behaviors. The math shows that that there is no racial disparity.

So you don't think black people get stopped more often with no other underlying reason but skin color?

No I do not, and the math does not indicate that either.
June 13th, 2020 at 12:53:18 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

Yeah, I'm going to say you fit right in living in Georgia. Do you know when I change a burnt out license plate light? When I get pulled over for it. I think we're going on two years now...
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 13th, 2020 at 12:54:11 PM permalink
rxwine

No I have not.

What was your conclusion on job hiring using the same resume but different names? No discrimination? I remember you mentioned it so I know you were aware of it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 13th, 2020 at 12:57:15 PM permalink
rxwine
The unfortunate thing about studying police reports for discrimination, is who is writing the report. The police. It's not two sided. It's not really even objective by that standard.
June 13th, 2020 at 1:35:51 PM permalink
rxwine
The biggest review of data that I've found is the The Stanford Open Policing project.

Quote:
To date, the project has collected and standardized over 200 million records of traffic stop and search data from across the country.

Again these are police reports written by police, but even still as they explain the findings with an explanation of the difficulties it doesn't ultimately support your view.

Quote:
When we apply the threshold test to our traffic stop data, we find that police require less suspicion to search black and Hispanic drivers than white drivers. This double standard is evidence of discrimination

https://openpolicing.stanford.edu/findings/

Even if stop rates were the same, the search results indicate more discrimination. If you want to be nitpicky you could just say only stop rates matter. But I don't think that helps your non-discrimination argument when they get to searches.
June 13th, 2020 at 1:47:15 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Responding to Gander. You are just wrong in thinking that if you are a totally law abiding Black man you will be treated in all circumstances the same as a totally law abiding White man.

I'm thinking of my last 'pullover'. Years ago, I was in the middle of playing basketball when my f...ing beeper went off and I had to go in for a real life or death emergency. I'm in sweaty shorts and a T shirt and am driving in and am pulled over for speeding. Cop comes over and asks for license and registration and I tell him I'm a doctor on an emergency call and he lets me go. Of course I can't be sure, but I'll bet if I was African-American he does some checking before letting me go.
"Driving while Black", "jogging while Black", etc.. is different than it is when you are white.

Sure, if you are a respectful, law abiding Black man and are pulled over, the situation is extremely unlikely to escalate unless you want it to. But just to know that some of the time the reason you are pulled over is because you are Black must grow tiresome. The extremely rare George Floyd type event doesn't help, either.

The above does not change the fact that the response to this discrimination does not help the tens of thousands of Black lives that will be lost due to uncontrolled Black on Black violence. The BLM movement does NOTHING to address that problem, which is a much larger ACTUAL threat to a Black man, by far....
June 13th, 2020 at 1:48:55 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Mission146
Yeah, I'm going to say you fit right in living in Georgia. Do you know when I change a burnt out license plate light? When I get pulled over for it. I think we're going on two years now...

Not sure what your insinuation is. I have been pulled over repeatedly for lights burned out....

I never get upset over it.

I wish the cops would pull over more people. I hate people driving with headlights out at night.

You are trying to connect cables that are not compatible. The fact that you get away for it for so long is great for you I guess?

Again, you make subtle hints that I am racist for posting fact (crime data from the government). But, make no effort to show data that contradicts it.

Facts:
1. 98.5% of police shootings are justified.
2. Most people shot by police are white.
3. Most black people shot by police are shot by black cops.
4. The amount of unjustified shootings of black people by white cops (merge all of the factors together and you will see how is microscopic).
5. More black people were killed by other black people in the course of this conversation (last 24 hours) than will be killed by white police the rest of the year....

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=84
June 13th, 2020 at 1:57:44 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: SOOPOO
Responding to Gander. You are just wrong in thinking that if you are a totally law abiding Black man you will be treated in all circumstances the same as a totally law abiding White man.

I'm thinking of my last 'pullover'. Years ago, I was in the middle of playing basketball when my f...ing beeper went off and I had to go in for a real life or death emergency. I'm in sweaty shorts and a T shirt and am driving in and am pulled over for speeding. Cop comes over and asks for license and registration and I tell him I'm a doctor on an emergency call and he lets me go. Of course I can't be sure, but I'll bet if I was African-American he does some checking before letting me go.
"Driving while Black", "jogging while Black", etc.. is different than it is when you are white.

Sure, if you are a respectful, law abiding Black man and are pulled over, the situation is extremely unlikely to escalate unless you want it to. But just to know that some of the time the reason you are pulled over is because you are Black must grow tiresome. The extremely rare George Floyd type event doesn't help, either.

The above does not change the fact that the response to this discrimination does not help the tens of thousands of Black lives that will be lost due to uncontrolled Black on Black violence. The BLM movement does NOTHING to address that problem, which is a much larger ACTUAL threat to a Black man, by far....

You know my last traffic stop was by a County cop for me speeding (one of those multi-lane roads where the limit suddenly changes and at 0200 you are not really paying attention when you are the only car on the road). I was super polite and compliant, asked for permission to reach for my license, did everything by the book, cop was a total jerk, I got a ticket (I deserved it not complaining).
Guess what the cop was black. Not once did I say, "Well he treated me that way because I am white".... People see what they want to see....

If I was black and the cop was white I probably would have been trained to perceive the situation differently.....

The point is, I don't buy social studies where people report how they "feel" they were treated based on race.... I get treated poorly plenty, never once do I attribute it to race (and its hard to find somebody more pleasant than me to pull over, I don't argue, cause a scene, I ask permission, etc....)
Racism is a perception that is often unfounded....