No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (16.66%)

18 members have voted

November 3rd, 2020 at 5:29:28 AM permalink
Joeman
Threads: 0
Happy Election Day, everyone! I was going to post this over on WoV, but Wiz seems to have a tight grip on the banhammer regarding political posts these days. (I'm not begrudging this. I like the kinder, gentler WoV.)

I'm curious who is voting today (vs early voting), and how the lines at your polling places are? The early voting locations near me had been packed -- there was a line of cars a half mile long (no joke) Saturday morning at the local early voting center. So, I decided I'd just vote on election day. I figured that with so many people voting early or mail-in, the election-day crowd would be about the same as usual.

My plan was to get out to the polls early and hopefully score a spot in the front of the line. I asked Mrs. Joeman if she wanted to tailgate in the parking lot beforehand, since our opportunity to do so at the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party this Saturday had been canceled. She just gave me that "Ya, right. Wait are you serious?" laugh.

I still ended up bringing breakfast and a folding camp chair with me. I arrived at 6:30, and was 7th in line. I counted 48 people in line when they opened the doors at 7:00. I was done by 7:10. The line outside as I was leaving was about as long as when I had entered.

I would say, based on a very small sample size, that it was one of the larger crowds, but slightly less than what I experienced in the 2008 election.
November 3rd, 2020 at 5:57:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Joeman
Happy Election Day, everyone! I was going to post this over on WoV, but Wiz seems to have a tight grip on the banhammer regarding political posts these days. (I'm not begrudging this. I like the kinder, gentler WoV.)

I'm curious who is voting today (vs early voting), and how the lines at your polling places are? The early voting locations near me had been packed -- there was a line of cars a half mile long (no joke) Saturday morning at the local early voting center. So, I decided I'd just vote on election day. I figured that with so many people voting early or mail-in, the election-day crowd would be about the same as usual.

There was a line about 30 people but it was a "doorbuster" line at 0700. My guess is by now is is at most a 15 minute wait. I only waited 20 minutes, got there at opening because I walk that time of day anyhow.
The President is a fink.
November 3rd, 2020 at 6:08:33 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I voted in September. There was no line at the drop box when I put my ballot in it.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 3rd, 2020 at 6:26:02 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
There was a line about 30 people but it was a "doorbuster" line at 0700. My guess is by now is is at most a 15 minute wait. I only waited 20 minutes, got there at opening because I walk that time of day anyhow.

Man do I regret not doing mail in. The polls here in south east PA are an absolute disaster.

My polling place was changed 3 times over the last month. Finally they settled on the smallest building possible with no parking on a busy road.

No place to park. People filling up the lots of local businesses and getting towed. The line was wrapped around the building and down a busy road.

The geriatric poll workers seemed like they didn’t even know where they were, and were completely confused by simple things like the alphabet. It seemed like they were getting 1 voter out every 5 minutes.

I waited in line nearly 3 hours to vote.
November 3rd, 2020 at 8:51:20 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: gamerfreak

I waited in line nearly 3 hours to vote.

To me my vote isn't worth waiting in line for more than 15 minutes. I would have left.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 3rd, 2020 at 9:13:03 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: DRich
To me my vote isn't worth waiting in line for more than 15 minutes. I would have left.

I probably just would have not voted if I knew it was going to take so long. But once I commit to something I rather just go through with it.
November 3rd, 2020 at 9:17:28 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

You vote? No you don't. C'mon, man..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 3rd, 2020 at 9:25:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

1978 to 2006 always voted on election day and very short wait
2008 voted early for Obama and that was about 2 hours
2010 to 2014 voted early and no wait
2016 to 2020 voted by mail
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 3rd, 2020 at 9:29:59 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2020/11/03/report-trump-fan-who-rammed-suv-while-following-biden-bus-also-threatened-san-antonio-protesters

This is what we need to worry about tonight, Armed convoys ramming cars off of the road (as has happened) and setting up armed checkpoints to shut down highways (also happened).

If Trump loses, things will get very ugly (especially if he starts telling his militia fans that it was an unfair election). I could also predict he will try to claim victory after defeat or long before the votes are properly counted.
November 3rd, 2020 at 9:58:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler
I could also predict he will try to claim victory after defeat or long before the votes are properly counted.

Who cares if somebody declares
victory or defeat, it's meaningless.
You Libbies act like it's some kind
of binding contract.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.