Stock picks

February 19th, 2021 at 9:05:21 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
My bitcoin over 1600
That's up 60% for me :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 20th, 2021 at 9:09:06 AM permalink
terapined
Get ready for the Biden boom
I'm ready. Got all my moola in place to grow grow grow

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/this-week-in-bidenomics-get-ready-for-the-biden-boom-190552832.html

Voting Dem shows you can stay warm in the winter and make money
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 20th, 2021 at 11:47:35 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Get ready for the Biden boom
I'm ready. Got all my moola in place to grow grow grow

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/this-week-in-bidenomics-get-ready-for-the-biden-boom-190552832.html

Voting Dem shows you can stay warm in the winter and make money

I’m ready. I want my share of the two trillion he is pulling out of the hat. A little will go to ‘the poor’, most will go to us.
February 21st, 2021 at 7:08:47 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
I’m ready. I want my share of the two trillion he is pulling out of the hat. A little will go to ‘the poor’, most will go to us.

I am all for giving all of it to us unemployed people. Maybe at that point my status could change from Unemployed to Retired.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 21st, 2021 at 10:41:14 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: DRich
I am all for giving all of it to us unemployed people. Maybe at that point my status could change from Unemployed to Retired.

I am not opposed to targeting funds to help the unemployed who can prove they are unemployed because of the pandemic. Whole Foods needs people here. The Y is advertising for child care help. Burger King all shifts. Small store has $14.75 starting salary on window. Show me you are incapable of doing those jobs and then take government money.

With your specific situation, I am SURE there are many who are only 'unemployed' until the unemployment benefits expire, then they become retired.

Anyway, the Biden policies of trying to pump money into the already recovering economy will likely help the stock market, of course at the expense of the country's solvency.
February 21st, 2021 at 11:14:37 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I am not opposed to targeting funds to help the unemployed who can prove they are unemployed because of the pandemic. Whole Foods needs people here. The Y is advertising for child care help. Burger King all shifts. Small store has $14.75 starting salary on window. Show me you are incapable of doing those jobs and then take government money.

With your specific situation, I am SURE there are many who are only 'unemployed' until the unemployment benefits expire, then they become retired.

Anyway, the Biden policies of trying to pump money into the already recovering economy will likely help the stock market, of course at the expense of the country's solvency.

I would say that Ohio is the only state for which I have any real knowledge of the unemployment system, which goes through counties' locations of Job and Family Services and is directly paid into by companies in the form of, "Unemployment Insurance."

My understanding of the way that it works is that, whilst on unemployment, one must apply for no fewer than three jobs per bi-weekly period...or maybe it's monthly. There's no real requirement to take, "Any available job," just one that you apply for x number of jobs during the timeframe. The reason for that, based on my understanding which is mostly from having managed a hotel and talked to them, is threefold:

1.) Employers pay into the Unemployment Insurance program, so the amounts paid into it are employer (rather than individual taxpayer funded).

More than that, the Unemployment Insurance program actively encourages employers to retain as many employees as possible. The reason why is because Unemployment Insurance tax payments are only based on the first $9,000 an employee makes per year...so the fewer employees you have (more retention and more full-time jobs----or fewer part-time positions with more hours as opposed to more positions with fewer hours) the less in total Unemployment Insurance payments you will make.

2.) Unemployment only demands that people apply within a comparable industry, as long as they are meeting the required number of jobs applied for in each particular timeframe. The reason for this is because they understand that it sometimes doesn't behoove people to get into an entirely different industry knowing they are just going to quit when something in their industry of experience (which will probably pay them better) becomes available.

Secretarial work, for example, generally pays better than fast food. So, unemployment recognizes that an unemployed secretary might take a fast food job...but is probably going to quit as soon as she is offered a secretarial position. IOW, it is frequent that nobody really benefits from her taking the fast food job.

3.) Unemployment also doesn't demand that anyone apply for jobs that offer substantially less pay, again, as long as the person is at least applying for the minimum number of jobs. The first reason is that this could actually hurt your resume', but the second reason is that Unemployment recognizes that one should not have to be forced into a job at one's own detriment.

Example: Employee made $17/hour as a supervisor at some retail location. Employee's position is terminated due to no-fault of the employee. Employee will get the equivalent of $8.50/hour from Unemployment for the next six months. Employee has absolutely no logical reason to take a fast food job that pays less than $8.50/hour. None whatsoever. Why would you work forty hours a week (as opposed to zero) for less money?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 21st, 2021 at 5:05:16 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
\

I am sure there are still lots of people collecting unemployment because they are getting more than when they were working. I am getting about $700 a week which is nice but not nearly enough for me not to be looking for work. If I was taking home twice that ($1400) a week I would have much less incentive to be looking for work.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 22nd, 2021 at 5:20:30 AM permalink
SOOPOO
President Biden ( not exactly sure if he actually has authority....) said you do not have to take a job if you feel it is unsafe due to COVID-19. So a laid off fast food worker, now could just not take an available fast food job.... because the FAST FOOD WORKER decided it was not safe to do the job OBVIOUSLY the government feels is safe, per whatever protocols are in place.

As far as your last point.... it IS the PROBLEM with the ‘extra’ federal unemployment payments. Laid off FF worker makes more by not working.... so they just continue on the dole that you and I are borrowing for....

As far as the businesses paying into the UI system... sure, they pay something.... but NO WAY they are paying the full load during the pandemic. It will fall on all who pay taxes to keep this afloat.
February 22nd, 2021 at 5:38:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
President Biden ( not exactly sure if he actually has authority....) said you do not have to take a job if you feel it is unsafe due to COVID-19. So a laid off fast food worker, now could just not take an available fast food job.... because the FAST FOOD WORKER decided it was not safe to do the job OBVIOUSLY the government feels is safe, per whatever protocols are in place.

As far as your last point.... it IS the PROBLEM with the ‘extra’ federal unemployment payments. Laid off FF worker makes more by not working.... so they just continue on the dole that you and I are borrowing for....

As far as the businesses paying into the UI system... sure, they pay something.... but NO WAY they are paying the full load during the pandemic. It will fall on all who pay taxes to keep this afloat.

First Paragraph: I don't know what authority he purports to have over that, but I guess if they did that and did NOT simultaneously extend unemployment eligibility and had not increased the payments, (i.e. your unemployment expires at the normal time) then I wouldn't have a huge problem with that.

If that creates a supply deficit on the labor side of the equation, I'm not exactly heartbroken, because the market will dictate that the fast food places have to pay more to get workers (at least temporarily) which is fine because there is a bona fide increased risk with working. Not only that, but the fast food establishments haven't exactly suffered over the last year...I imagine they are one of the only food service market segments doing extremely well...retail grocery aside.

Second Paragraph Just to clarify, I was never in favor of increasing the Unemployment benefits by $600/week, or whatever it was, for precisely this reason. We discussed this, though it's understandable that you wouldn't remember, and we both stood on the side that it creates an incentive not to work.

My #3 in the previous post was meant just to refer to how unemployment normally works. When it comes to normal unemployment amounts, I don't think anyone should be forced into taking a job that pays less than they would be getting from unemployment.

Third Paragraph I haven't really looked into that, but it stands to reason that you are right. I guess I should have specifically clarified that I was referring to how unemployment normally would work.

In any event, I was against the weekly increases to the unemployment, was against extending the length of time that one can collect unemployment and am opposed to all forms of stimulus that go to either individuals or businesses.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 24th, 2021 at 8:36:54 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: DRich
Anybody want to guess where GME will be in one month (3/3/2021). I will guess $27.

GME back in play
Closed at 91