RV life with Terapined

Page 1 of 81234>Last »
September 1st, 2020 at 3:14:38 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Member since: Feb 19, 2014
Threads: 15
Posts: 2265
The last mountain of posts in the 'Stimulus' thread are about Ed's RV experiences. I am interested as apparently a bunch of others.

Question.... if you are traveling around the country and don't stay in any one locale for very long, can you register to vote anywhere? Is there anything to stop you from going to a 'swing' state just so you could vote for or against a particular national candidate?

I'm guessing you are presently registered in Florida, but what if you decide never to go back there? Do you stay a Florida resident forever de facto?
September 1st, 2020 at 3:59:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 128
Posts: 13258
Quote: SOOPOO
The last mountain of posts in the 'Stimulus' thread are about Ed's RV experiences. I am interested as apparently a bunch of others.

Question.... if you are traveling around the country and don't stay in any one locale for very long, can you register to vote anywhere? Is there anything to stop you from going to a 'swing' state just so you could vote for or against a particular national candidate?

I'm guessing you are presently registered in Florida, but what if you decide never to go back there? Do you stay a Florida resident forever de facto?


States have a residency requirement. You cannot just move there and register that day. Which is why same-day registration needs to be banned.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
September 1st, 2020 at 4:34:06 PM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 52
Posts: 6441
I'm a registered voter in FL with my new address in Crestview FL via myrvmail.com where they are located
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 1st, 2020 at 4:45:34 PM permalink
Gandler
Member since: Aug 15, 2019
Threads: 14
Posts: 1728
Quote: AZDuffman
States have a residency requirement. You cannot just move there and register that day. Which is why same-day registration needs to be banned.


I mean you basically can. In most states upon making that your domicile you have to get a DL within 30 days (some as short as 10), and this is where many also register to vote (you sign up when you show your mailing address).

If you ever moved states and changed DLs you would know it's pretty easy and basically instant....

https://www.mymove.com/moving/guides/dmv-change-of-address/
September 1st, 2020 at 4:48:38 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 128
Posts: 13258
Quote: Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
States have a residency requirement. You cannot just move there and register that day. Which is why same-day registration needs to be banned.


I mean you basically can. In most states upon making that your domicile you have to get a DL within 30 days (some as short as 10), and this is where many also register to vote (you sign up when you show your mailing address).

If you ever moved states and changed DLs you would know it's pretty easy and basically instant....

https://www.mymove.com/moving/guides/dmv-change-of-address/


That does not mean you have established time to vote. I have moved many times to 3 different states. The point is you cannot just roll in and say you live at a transient address then vote.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
September 1st, 2020 at 4:50:18 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Member since: Feb 19, 2014
Threads: 15
Posts: 2265
Quote: terapined
I'm a registered voter in FL with my new address in Crestview FL via myrvmail.com where they are located


Lets say you find on your travels that
A. You don't stay anywhere more than a week at a time... and never return to Florida


or

B. You decide you love Las Vegas and decide to stay there.

In either case, why would you be considered a Florida resident? Once you, say, stay in Vegas for a year straight, would you automatically become a Nevada resident? Is it your choice?

Let's say you are making money by working remotely.... can you pick a "no income tax" state and somehow decide to be a resident there by just showing up in your RV?
September 1st, 2020 at 4:57:33 PM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 52
Posts: 6441
Quote: SOOPOO
Lets say you find on your travels that
A. You don't stay anywhere more than a week at a time... and never return to Florida


or

B. You decide you love Las Vegas and decide to stay there.

In either case, why would you be considered a Florida resident? Once you, say, stay in Vegas for a year straight, would you automatically become a Nevada resident? Is it your choice?

Let's say you are making money by working remotely.... can you pick a "no income tax" state and somehow decide to be a resident there by just showing up in your RV?
My problem is proving that I am an American citizen.
I was not born in this country. I entered the country as an infant and an American citizen
My birth was immediately reported to the State Dept in the Republic of China. I have that paperwork.
Florida gave me a hard time, a real hard time even though I have the documents proving my citizenship.
You only have to prove it once in FL so transferring my address and getting new drivers lisc was fairly easy and changing your drivers lisc address in FL automatically registers you to vote in your new county.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 1st, 2020 at 5:03:52 PM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 52
Posts: 6441
A bit of trivia I just learned today
Coke was 1st bottled in Vicksburg of all places
Just checked out a small museum
Before bottling in Vicksburg, the only place to enjoy a coke was at a soda fountain
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 1st, 2020 at 5:05:21 PM permalink
Gandler
Member since: Aug 15, 2019
Threads: 14
Posts: 1728
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
States have a residency requirement. You cannot just move there and register that day. Which is why same-day registration needs to be banned.


I mean you basically can. In most states upon making that your domicile you have to get a DL within 30 days (some as short as 10), and this is where many also register to vote (you sign up when you show your mailing address).

If you ever moved states and changed DLs you would know it's pretty easy and basically instant....

https://www.mymove.com/moving/guides/dmv-change-of-address/


That does not mean you have established time to vote. I have moved many times to 3 different states. The point is you cannot just roll in and say you live at a transient address then vote.


Yes you can in most cases. I have never heard of being told of a waiting period to vote....

In most cases you can register within 30 days of an election.

https://www.mymove.com/moving/guides/dmv-change-of-address/
September 1st, 2020 at 5:22:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 128
Posts: 13258
Quote: Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
States have a residency requirement. You cannot just move there and register that day. Which is why same-day registration needs to be banned.


I mean you basically can. In most states upon making that your domicile you have to get a DL within 30 days (some as short as 10), and this is where many also register to vote (you sign up when you show your mailing address).

If you ever moved states and changed DLs you would know it's pretty easy and basically instant....

https://www.mymove.com/moving/guides/dmv-change-of-address/


That does not mean you have established time to vote. I have moved many times to 3 different states. The point is you cannot just roll in and say you live at a transient address then vote.


Yes you can in most cases. I have never heard of being told of a waiting period to vote....

In most cases you can register within 30 days of an election.

https://www.mymove.com/moving/guides/dmv-change-of-address/



It varies by state
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
Page 1 of 81234>Last »