SCOTUS Vacancy

February 25th, 2022 at 6:11:03 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote:
According to a source who has been notified about the decision, President Biden has decided to nominate to the Supreme Court Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

Jackson, 51, has served as an assistant federal public defender, a commissioner on the U.S. Sentencing Commission, and on two prestigious federal courts. She will be the first African-American woman in the history of the United States to be nominated to the US Supreme Court.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 25th, 2022 at 6:18:58 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288

It sounds like a good choice to me and I am very apolitical.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 25th, 2022 at 7:32:42 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

Is she supposed to meet resistance from the Republican Senators? Until the Dem Senator with the stroke returns they need at least one Republican to vote to confirm her. I am hoping she gets confirmed easily. Someone has mentioned previously there are no actual qualifications needed for the job, but she seems to check the perceived necessary boxes anyway. If you are unhappy with the way she rules, I’d chalk it up to ‘elections have consequences’.
February 25th, 2022 at 7:50:52 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO

Is she supposed to meet resistance from the Republican Senators? Until the Dem Senator with the stroke returns they need at least one Republican to vote to confirm her. I am hoping she gets confirmed easily. Someone has mentioned previously there are no actual qualifications needed for the job, but she seems to check the perceived necessary boxes anyway. If you are unhappy with the way she rules, I’d chalk it up to ‘elections have consequences’.

Times have changed
You are not allowed to pick a Supreme Court candidate unless you have a majority in the Senate
It's the McConnell rule and it will be used in the future
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 25th, 2022 at 7:51:56 AM permalink
ams288

Lindsey Graham has already tweeted: “If media reports are accurate, and Judge Jackson has been chosen as the Supreme Court nominee to replace Justice Breyer, it means the radical Left has won President Biden over yet again.”

(Lindsey Graham voted to confirm her to the DC circuit only 257 days ago).
February 25th, 2022 at 7:56:03 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Lindsey Graham has already tweeted: “If media reports are accurate, and Judge Jackson has been chosen as the Supreme Court nominee to replace Justice Breyer, it means the radical Left has won President Biden over yet again.”

I have no doubt Mconnell would block if he had the votes
Due to the McConnell rule
I have no doubt future Supreme Courts will only have 8 or 7 members
I have no doubt all future Supreme Court nominees will only be voted on if the same party controls both congress and the Presidency
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 25th, 2022 at 7:58:41 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Lindsay Graham must be dizzy from all the turning he does deciding who to give the next blow job to.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 25th, 2022 at 10:52:58 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine

Lindsay Graham must be dizzy from all the turning he does deciding who to give the next blow job to.

This a big nothing. Graham just wanted his local candidate to win to represent his state. The perception is ‘the left’ worked behind the scenes to sandbag his black female candidate.

As far as no SC candidate will ever be confirmed if the Prez and Senate are controlled by different parties, I really hope not. I accept ‘elections have consequences’. The SC vacancy should be filled by the Prez.
February 26th, 2022 at 6:29:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Is she supposed to meet resistance from the Republican Senators? Until the Dem Senator with the stroke returns they need at least one Republican to vote to confirm her. I am hoping she gets confirmed easily.

Why should the Republican Senators fight this confirmation? Unless there is a pressing desire to have #2 or #3 instead of Jackson.

1) Ketanji Brown Jackson, 51, a recent appointee to the US court of appeals for the District of Columbia circuit, where she has served since June 2021,
2) Leondra Kruger, 45, a California supreme court judge since 2015
3) J Michelle Childs, 55, has rapidly become a serious third candidate after the House majority whip, Jim Clyburn (D), publicly announced his support for her, as did the state’s Republican senators, Graham and Tim Scott. Graham has made clear Childs is his preferred choice. She is a federal judge in South Carolina who has been nominated to serve on the US court of appeals for the District of Columbia circuit. That nomination is on hold while she’s under consideration for the high court.

Republican Senators will only fight if Clarence Thomas (age 73) or Samuel Anthony Alito Jr. (age 71)should happen to die in the next 3 years which is very unlikely. However, in those cases the Senators will try to put off selection of a replacement to see who wins the 2024 POTUS election,
March 20th, 2022 at 4:46:12 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: Pacomartin
Republican Senators will only fight if Clarence Thomas (age 73) or Samuel Anthony Alito Jr. (age 71)should happen to die in the next 3 years which is very unlikely. However, in those cases the Senators will try to put off selection of a replacement to see who wins the 2024 POTUS election,

Quote: CNN
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was hospitalized with flu-like symptoms and diagnosed with an infection, court says.

Hope he’s not an anti-vaxxer!

I’m sure his insane wife is though…