Quotes

Page 3 of 4<1234>
February 5th, 2022 at 5:10:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
I figure it's out of bounds for me because it's Rap music.

It's not just the awful music, it's an entirely non-white cast playing historical figures that were all white. If there was a play about plantation life in the Old South and all the slaves were played by white people, you know what would happen. It would never make it to opening night. I do not believe that people eat this stuff up I think they just go along to get along and think it's just as ridiculous as I do. I remember when Richard Pryor went to Africa for the first time and he got off plane when he got back he got down and kissed the tarmac. He said his trip to Africa had totally changed him, he no longer resented his great-great grandparents being brought here as slaves. He said the life they had here would have to have been far better than what he just saw in Africa. Slavery is a bad thing but sometimes so is the alternative. Richard Pryor saw some pretty bad things in Africa, genital mutilation of little girls, people living in absolute poverty. He never forgot it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 5th, 2022 at 5:43:44 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
It's not just the awful music, it's an entirely non-white cast playing historical figures that were all white.

Inverse Al Jolson, and about time.

"Hamilton" has grossed over $612M box office; money talks, BS walks.
February 6th, 2022 at 4:36:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
the thread is 'quotes' so , sticking with that song

Quote:
[BURR]
I watched Hamilton examine the terrain
I wish I could tell you what was happ’ning in his brain
This man has poisoned my political pursuits!

[HAMILTON]
Legacy. What is a legacy?
It’s planting seeds in a garden you never get to see
I wrote some notes at the beginning of a song someone will sing for me
America, you great unfinished symphony, you sent for me
You let me make a difference
A place where even orphan immigrants
Can leave their fingerprints and rise up

https://genius.com/Leslie-odom-jr-lin-manuel-miranda-and-original-broadway-cast-of-hamilton-the-world-was-wide-enough-lyrics

enough!

I believe it is the case we don't know what they dueled over for sure. The wikipedia page just says it was a culmination of rivalry, but I think that it is fair to imagine some particular insult is what would cause a duel. Gore Vidal in his novel 'Burr' theorized Hamilton had spread a rumor Burr was having sex with his own daughter. Is this wht Burr's daughter is mentioned in the Rap lyrics? "This man will not make an orphan of my daughter" [that only says he's not wanting her to face a dead father situation]

How did we get on this?

here is a version you Rap fiends can listen to all you want,

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 11th, 2022 at 7:21:02 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
It's not just the awful music, it's an entirely non-white cast playing historical figures that were all white. If there was a play about plantation life in the Old South and all the slaves were played by white people, you know what would happen. It would never make it to opening night. I do not believe that people eat this stuff up I think they just go along to get along and think it's just as ridiculous as I do. I remember when Richard Pryor went to Africa for the first time and he got off plane when he got back he got down and kissed the tarmac. He said his trip to Africa had totally changed him, he no longer resented his great-great grandparents being brought here as slaves. He said the life they had here would have to have been far better than what he just saw in Africa. Slavery is a bad thing but sometimes so is the alternative. Richard Pryor saw some pretty bad things in Africa, genital mutilation of little girls, people living in absolute poverty. He never forgot it.

What about plantation lives in the, "Old South," and the racial roles are reversed wholesale? I think that would go over like gangbusters with the Left; that's a legitimate big money opportunity, I believe.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 11th, 2022 at 7:31:06 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
Inverse Al Jolson, and about time.

"Hamilton" has grossed over $612M box office; money talks, BS walks.

I've heard about this so much but never seen it
Would love to see it
What little snippets I've seen look great
Can't believe a movie has not been made yet.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 11th, 2022 at 7:37:10 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Spielberg remade West Side Story with the correct ethnic characters playing the parts, but EB calls it a flop.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 11th, 2022 at 11:39:12 AM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: rxwine
Spielberg remade West Side Story with the correct ethnic characters playing the parts, but EB calls it a flop.

He is correct, if the criteria is financial success: WSS is a box office flop of near-staggering proportions.
February 11th, 2022 at 11:46:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee
He is correct, if the criteria is financial success: WSS is a box office flop of near-staggering proportions.

So was Rocky Horror Picture show if you only look at the money it made in the first year.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 11th, 2022 at 11:59:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
So was Rocky Horror Picture show if you only look at the money it made in the first year.

Big Lebowski a total flop when it came out
Loved it
Great movie
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 11th, 2022 at 12:47:01 PM permalink
missedhervee
For the moment the fate of WSS underscores this fact: modern America has little use for big budget movie musicals.
Page 3 of 4<1234>