The Biden Presidency 2021

November 6th, 2021 at 6:19:41 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
(Not all sections quoted)

Quote: Gandler
Well I guess it depends on the State, GA does not have self-service machines (to my knowledge), I do not think NJ did. I do not play the lottery so I could be wrong as I don't really look for them, but from my observations. In some cases I wish they did, because there is nothing worse than being stuck behind one person at a gas station while they buy lottery tickets one at a time, but that is purely a selfish view. In any case that was more of a silly aside (though I do think it causes damage).

But, I am not sure I am on board with the impeachment being a practical function to the same level of ID checks for guns or voting. Being impeached is a legal/political process. Its totally different than following the laws to vote or buy a gun properly.

As for minority voting, I would agree, when it benefits them. For example the GOP seems to love Cuban immigrants because they flock to them. And, to be completely fair there are some principled ones (very rare, I can think of two off of the top of my head) which want felons to be able to vote after they serve their time (which generally benefits Democrats). But, most Republicans view minorities as an obstacle. And, there certainly are plenty of GOP racists, but I agree that for the most part its about political goals.

I know that PA and OH do...and I want to say WV, as well, but I couldn't swear to seeing them in WV. I don't play the lottery either, but these machines are fairly large and fairly hard to miss. You'll still get stuck behind people at the gas station because, when it comes to people buying drawing tickets, they mostly seem to prefer doing it at the counter. From my limited observation, most people who use the machines are using them for Instant Tickets.

Voting is a legal process if you make something a matter of law, so I'm confused as to what you are saying.

Quote:
I can't read it sadly because of the paywall (I guess I am out of free articles for the month).

However, googling it based on the date, I think I have an idea of what happened. And, it sounds like the system worked, the people who committed fraud got caught and were removed. Though this would not have been solved with ID (if we are reading the same case), it looks like their campaign convinced people (who did not speak English) to claim to be disabled and request a mail in ballot. So them scanning a copy of their ID would not change anything.

This (similar schemes) are common in local elections. Politicians often go to elderly homes or homes of marginalized groups (people who don't speak great English, etc...) and "bus them" to the polling station to vote for them, is this any different? Doing it by mail just debatably saves a step (and gas). In many cases this is lauded, "District City Councilman X helps seniors get to the polls on time" etc.... But, when people organize mass amounts of mailings for people who would not otherwise bother voting it suddenly becomes an issue... (I am not saying either one is right, just pointing out the double standard).

They didn't get caught instantly, or anything like that, the losing candidate had to take the whole thing to court. They requested the mail-in ballots, but they weren't even physically present in the state when their vote was cast, though the ballots were going to in-state addresses...at least, as I understand it. My understanding is many of them were in Puerto Rico and had nothing to do with the actual filling out of the ballot. That being the case, it would have been harder to get copies of ID for them, assuming they even had a PA ID in the first place.

Quote:
Well I think we at least agree that religion sucks. And, even more so the belief that religion is an attribute to be admired (which is kind of ironic, because religious people think that every other religious person will be punished, but still hold them in higher regard than atheists, even though logically they should think of them the same since atheists and competing religion both do not accept their prescription).

When you are introducing words such as, "Logically," religious people are generally not going to apply to the statement.

Quote:
I honestly have no clue who Tyra Banks is, but a quick Google search reveals her to be a victoria secret model so my interest plummets. Did she do something illegal?

But, I can concede he played his hand well, but that does not mean I have to respect his play style. There are some impressive bank robberies, that does not make them moral.

Though the third party candidate is interesting. I think that was his Trump card so to speak during the primaries, because he held that over the GOP, basically if he was not nominated he would run on his own so they would be sabotaging themselves. And, he would still look like the "hero who stood up to the system"...

I wouldn't worry about Tyra Banks...she was the host of a very questionable modeling show that did some arguably questionable things. I was going to look for examples, but everything recently is about how the fans and producers of Dancing with the Stars can't stand her...and I barely even know what that show is. As far as I know, she didn't do anything illegal, but some of the stuff on the modeling show was pretty objectionable.

He did sort of hold that over the GOP, but I was meaning if he had run as a TPC in the first place.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 6th, 2021 at 6:19:55 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
Again
What do you exactly want her to do
Who knows, I may agree but I need specifics
This is for private industry to work out
I don't want the govt to dictate business decisions to oil companies.

You would think someone as smart as you would get that laughing in the face of a serious question shows a disregard for the people you serve. Start there--just don't laugh and give a half-assed answer about OPEC controlling the oil supply for the whole world.

Then, show empathy for the people Democrats profess to love--the poor. Gas costing me 50% more is not the end of the world. For someone living on even $15 an hour, the rise in costs means a tank of gas costs an extra hour worth of work.

Obviously, there is more that can be done (build the pipeline, produce more oil here, etc.). Just as obviously, she can't do it herself. She can communicate that she gives a damn and that they are working to make things better, even if it does not happen in the short term.

If you'll defend anything Biden's team does, that is fine. Keep on truckin'!
November 6th, 2021 at 6:40:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ams288
Infrastructure bill passes the House.

Another thing Donny failed miserably at during his presidency (“infrastructure week” became a running joke for years).

Biden got it done.

Quote:
Pelosi held a press conference discussing the legislative agenda for Friday evening, addressing the Democratic infighting occurring in Congress over the infrastructure package and the Build Back Better bill for social spending.

Pelosi took to the House floor in order to articulate the beneficial aspects of the bill, saying that, “it will be one of the most significant legislative undertakings that any of us have ever been part of.”

The speaker claimed that this bill will be even bigger and more effective than the Affordable Care Act, passed by former President Barack Obama.

Pelosi continued, “So if you’re talking about how we want to have immediate and enduring difference for the workers and families, creating jobs, securing middle class tax cuts, lowering costs for families, and making the wealthiest pay their fair share, all the while contributing to reducing the national debt.”

Then Pelosi halted her speech to address apparently laughter she heard from the floor. “Did I hear a laugh over there?” she said.

“Did I hear a laugh from those who added $2 trillion in tax cuts for the richest people in America, 83 percent of it going to the top 1 percent?” quipped Pelosi.

“This is paid for and more than paid for.”
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 6th, 2021 at 6:58:55 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
(Partial quote from rxwine's post)“Did I hear a laugh from those who added $2 trillion in tax cuts for the richest people in America, 83 percent of it going to the top 1 percent?” quipped Pelosi.

“This is paid for and more than paid for.”

There is absolutely no proof of the bill being paid for yet (we'll see how it gets scored by the CBO and others) and the usual legislative cost hiding tactics are in use. The example is saying we will provide a program for three years, yet pay for it over ten years...knowing all along that it will get renewed because new entitlements are hard to take away. This has been used by both parties and it is always a poor way of governing.

There is also a lot of talk about tax cuts for the rich being part of the package (SALT changes, etc.).

They shouldn't have laughed and they need to get to work on helping her out of the Speaker's seat in 2022...if she isn't President by then...
November 6th, 2021 at 7:17:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
There is absolutely no proof of the bill being paid for yet (we'll see how it gets scored by the CBO and others) and the usual legislative cost hiding tactics are in use. The example is saying we will provide a program for three years, yet pay for it over ten years...knowing all along that it will get renewed because new entitlements are hard to take away. This has been used by both parties and it is always a poor way of governing. .

Not sure I agree with your last sentence. Yoyo-ing back and forth between initiatives as administrations, congress or Presidents change isn't necessarily a perfect way either. Especially for things that may have a slow ramp up to succeed.

Wasn't that part of your complaint just yesterday about changing Trump polices.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 6th, 2021 at 9:47:31 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
You would think someone as smart as you would get that laughing in the face of a serious question shows a disregard for the people you serve. Start there--just don't laugh and give a half-assed answer about OPEC controlling the oil supply for the whole world.

Then, show empathy for the people Democrats profess to love--the poor. Gas costing me 50% more is not the end of the world. For someone living on even $15 an hour, the rise in costs means a tank of gas costs an extra hour worth of work.

Obviously, there is more that can be done (build the pipeline, produce more oil here, etc.). Just as obviously, she can't do it herself. She can communicate that she gives a damn and that they are working to make things better, even if it does not happen in the short term.

If you'll defend anything Biden's team does, that is fine. Keep on truckin'!

Much ado about nothing because laughing is nothing
Again
Supply and demand determine prices
You are angry because somebody is laughing and having no empathy
I could care less
I simply don't give a crap
No doubt Trump was laughing when the capitol got attacked and had no empathy for officers or Pence
Am I upset about this
The attack, yes. Trump laughing and having no empathy, no.
Laughing and having no empathy is much ado about nothing
Those that really care about somebody laughing or having no empathy are total snowflakes
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 6th, 2021 at 1:04:07 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Blah blah blah is right
Is this copy and paste or does he spend that much time on a post lol
Did not read, too long
Give us the readers digest version

Blah blah blah is right
Is this copy and paste or does he spend that much time on a post lol
Did not read, too long
Give us the readers digest version

Talk about copy and paste. Very smart again RxED.
You may want to go back and delete your duplicates.
Is it that shaky mouse hand again?
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
November 6th, 2021 at 1:06:32 PM permalink
JCW09
Quote: ams288
Dude likes to brag online about how big his “balance sheet” is. Doesn’t need no free buffet.

Correct
November 6th, 2021 at 1:07:10 PM permalink
JCW09
Quote: rxwine
If you want a free buffet, I'll tell you where to go.

Or I can just tell you where to go, and skip the buffet part.

I am so scared and uncomfortable right now.
LMAO
November 6th, 2021 at 2:43:12 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JCW09
Talk about copy and paste. Very smart again RxED.
You may want to go back and delete your duplicates.
Is it that shaky mouse hand again?

I hit the post button twice
Thats all
But
Why do feel the need to insult me
I'm terapined
Are you mature enough to take part in political discourse without insulting a member
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"