The Smoking Thread

May 6th, 2021 at 4:25:05 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Looks like menthols will still be available from reservation territory.

I have never actually bought cigarettes from an Indian reservation (I have issues with that concept).

But, do they have other flavors that are banned in the U.S.? Like the old infused flavors that were around before the first flavor ban?
May 6th, 2021 at 5:02:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler

If the FDA feels that cigarettes are harmful, they should just outlaw them. .

This will not happen because half of Congress has been bought off by big tobacco. This is the 'swamp' that Trump always talked about. Everybody in Washington is bought off buy some big interest and Trump was not. So of course he had to go. Even if it meant obviously rigging the election.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 7th, 2021 at 4:42:45 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
This will not happen because half of Congress has been bought off by big tobacco.

Big Tobacco MO and BTI pay high dividends. 7% and 7.6% respectively. They are also into cannabis, which they've turned into a health food.
May 7th, 2021 at 8:54:34 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

If the FDA feels that cigarettes are harmful, they should just outlaw them. This nitpicking of flavors is dangerous because I fear it will bleed over into tobacco products that I enjoy.

(Quote clipped, relevance)

It might bleed into more than just tobacco products.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 7th, 2021 at 8:59:08 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
This will not happen because half of Congress has been bought off by big tobacco. This is the 'swamp' that Trump always talked about. Everybody in Washington is bought off buy some big interest and Trump was not. So of course he had to go. Even if it meant obviously rigging the election.

I don't always like being results-oriented, but sometimes I do. I really don't care what they rigged as long as the result is that Trump is gone.

Gandler will be pleased to know that these Skoal Mint Pouches have been treating me just fine the last few days. It turns out that I have a greater need for nicotine than I thought, particularly when I'm getting work done.

That said, I have cut down on my caffeine intake a little bit simultaneously. I see a gym membership (again) in my near future to see if I can trim off a few pounds.

Not to worry DRich, I have no delusions of immortality or even significantly better than average health...I just see no reason not to lose a few pounds. Covid didn't really do my abdomen any favors---and my abdomen could have used a favor or two before that.

6'3", 243, in case anyone was going to ask.

ADDED: Problem is, it's all in my gut. If you ignore my gut, I'm actually reasonably well-built, if not on the thin side. My legs are tree trunks, but that's still all muscle. Last thing to go, dontcha know?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 7th, 2021 at 3:23:26 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Mission146
I don't always like being results-oriented, but sometimes I do. I really don't care what they rigged as long as the result is that Trump is gone.

Gandler will be pleased to know that these Skoal Mint Pouches have been treating me just fine the last few days. It turns out that I have a greater need for nicotine than I thought, particularly when I'm getting work done.

That said, I have cut down on my caffeine intake a little bit simultaneously. I see a gym membership (again) in my near future to see if I can trim off a few pounds.

Not to worry DRich, I have no delusions of immortality or even significantly better than average health...I just see no reason not to lose a few pounds. Covid didn't really do my abdomen any favors---and my abdomen could have used a favor or two before that.

6'3", 243, in case anyone was going to ask.

ADDED: Problem is, it's all in my gut. If you ignore my gut, I'm actually reasonably well-built, if not on the thin side. My legs are tree trunks, but that's still all muscle. Last thing to go, dontcha know?

See you are turning to the dark side. A lot of people bash dip, but it can be quite enjoyable, especially pouches because they are clean and easy. And, there are endless flavors to try. I like dip (and snus, and nicotine pouches) because it gives you a constant flow of nicotine, and you can easily scale up or down (by more or less pouches), as opposed to cigarettes which is a very set limit of consumption for a very set limit of time. Also, the fact that (at least legally, if not socially) you can still dip virtually everywhere is a massive plus.

I also like mint (which I know sounds counter intuitive since I dislike menthol cigarettes), but mint is good (Skoal Smooth Mint is very good, but its hard to find, and I think they stopped making it in pouches for some stupid reason). My favorite mint pouches are Copenhagen Mint, I think it is better than Skoal Mint (and usually cheaper as there is almost always a promotional can for .50-1 USD off), and you have the luxury of living in PA, so you are free of dip taxes, so your prices are awesome to begin with. Though Skoal has many great fruity flavored pouches as well, Skoal Apple Pouches being one of my favorites. Peach is actually my favorite flavor, but it does not come in pouches for some annoying reason (Timberwolf Peach is actually an excellent peach and its like half the price of Skoal, but they also don't make Peach Pouches, I don't know why Peach is one of those flavors that just nobody makes in pouches).

I do not like Wintergreen however, I have always found it gross. I don't like the taste, the smell or the feel (it burns my lip). I have never understood why Wintergreen dip is so popular, I don't know the stats but it must be either the #1 or #2 dip flavor (Skoal was actually Started as a Wintergreen only Tobacco during WWII, "Skoal Original" is hard to find, but is a Fine Cut Wintergreen, which aside from the historical novelty, I hate, Fine Cut is messy, far worse than long cut, and, well my position on Wintergreen is pretty clear). Even Copenhagen Wintergreen (which is probably the most bearable Wintergreen for the main fact that it is more of a secondary flavor and not overpowering), I can only rarely take. Wintergreen just never has been appealing to me, I don't even like other products that are wintergreen scented or flavored, something about it, is just off, its like stale Christmas, and in dip I have just always found it downright gross.

I am not going to judge you for your gut. This past 1.5 years, I have been very sedimentary, doing virtually nothing (while eating crap food and drinking far more beer than I should), so I am not in peak condition either and my gut is sprouting as well. I really need to get back into running or something now that the pandemic is ending.
May 8th, 2021 at 3:43:22 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The gut. Oh yes, the gut.

Recently I read about why it is that old men wind up pulling their pants up so damn high. Turns out they are in shriveling-up stage, their bodies shrinking away in every area except one: the gut. The gut is hanging in there! Ultimately the choice is to cinch up the belt below this blob and have the pants falling down or cinch it up above the blob. The latter will win out.

I'm eally looking forward to that!!! [not]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 8th, 2021 at 5:27:47 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: odiousgambit
The gut. Oh yes, the gut.

Recently I read about why it is that old men wind up pulling their pants up so damn high. Turns out they are in shriveling-up stage, their bodies shrinking away in every area except one: the gut. The gut is hanging in there! Ultimately the choice is to cinch up the belt below this blob and have the pants falling down or cinch it up above the blob. The latter will win out.

I'm eally looking forward to that!!! [not]

Haha! I think maybe I'll try to avoid that a little while longer. Mainly aesthetics...I guess I can be vain.
May 8th, 2021 at 5:38:41 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
See you are turning to the dark side. A lot of people bash dip, but it can be quite enjoyable, especially pouches because they are clean and easy. And, there are endless flavors to try. I like dip (and snus, and nicotine pouches) because it gives you a constant flow of nicotine, and you can easily scale up or down (by more or less pouches), as opposed to cigarettes which is a very set limit of consumption for a very set limit of time. Also, the fact that (at least legally, if not socially) you can still dip virtually everywhere is a massive plus.

You make good points. I think I'm still not inclined to dip in public, but it's good for at home and when I'm driving. I really don't see myself using anything besides Skoal Mint Pouches because Mint was the only flavor of dip snuff I ever liked....and Renegades, I guess...which I think were Wintergreen (though I do not like Skoal Wintergreen), but they don't make Renegades anymore.

I inquired about the price of a pouch of Levi Garrett and it was almost ten dollars!!! What the hell happened!? I remember it being more like three dollars, but I guess that was nearly twenty years ago. A can of Skoal pouches is a little under $5, so that's good, and they last for almost three days in my case, which is about how long a pack of smokes would last me....2.5 days.

Quote:
I also like mint (which I know sounds counter intuitive since I dislike menthol cigarettes), but mint is good (Skoal Smooth Mint is very good, but its hard to find, and I think they stopped making it in pouches for some stupid reason). My favorite mint pouches are Copenhagen Mint, I think it is better than Skoal Mint (and usually cheaper as there is almost always a promotional can for .50-1 USD off), and you have the luxury of living in PA, so you are free of dip taxes, so your prices are awesome to begin with. Though Skoal has many great fruity flavored pouches as well, Skoal Apple Pouches being one of my favorites. Peach is actually my favorite flavor, but it does not come in pouches for some annoying reason (Timberwolf Peach is actually an excellent peach and its like half the price of Skoal, but they also don't make Peach Pouches, I don't know why Peach is one of those flavors that just nobody makes in pouches).

I remember you saying that, so I don't know what's going on with the price of a pouch of chaw here....ten dollars!?

I might give the Copenhagen pouches a try, but when I did non-pouch dip, I do remember Copenhagen being WAY too strong for me...so I'll probably stay away from those. Perhaps if I see someone dipping Cope pouches one day I'll ask if we can do a one for one trade.

I never liked any of the fruit flavors whatsoever, except there was one Cherry flavor that I thought was okay, but I'm not even 100% sure it was Skoal that made it. In any event, I'm not using any kind of dip that doesn't come in a pouch---too messy.

Quote:
I do not like Wintergreen however, I have always found it gross. I don't like the taste, the smell or the feel (it burns my lip). I have never understood why Wintergreen dip is so popular, I don't know the stats but it must be either the #1 or #2 dip flavor (Skoal was actually Started as a Wintergreen only Tobacco during WWII, "Skoal Original" is hard to find, but is a Fine Cut Wintergreen, which aside from the historical novelty, I hate, Fine Cut is messy, far worse than long cut, and, well my position on Wintergreen is pretty clear). Even Copenhagen Wintergreen (which is probably the most bearable Wintergreen for the main fact that it is more of a secondary flavor and not overpowering), I can only rarely take. Wintergreen just never has been appealing to me, I don't even like other products that are wintergreen scented or flavored, something about it, is just off, its like stale Christmas, and in dip I have just always found it downright gross.

I am not going to judge you for your gut. This past 1.5 years, I have been very sedimentary, doing virtually nothing (while eating crap food and drinking far more beer than I should), so I am not in peak condition either and my gut is sprouting as well. I really need to get back into running or something now that the pandemic is ending.

I could never stand Fine Cut, either. It's a complete mess. Just a bunch of little pieces everywhere that break apart and get stuck in your teeth. That's why I like the pouches, no need to smile at yourself in the mirror to make sure there are no little pieces hiding in your teeth.

I'll definitely have to do something that involves the gym. I do plenty of walking, but clearly, that's no longer enough. A steep enough incline also gets me winded these days, which is probably inexcusable for someone who hasn't even touched forty yet.
May 8th, 2021 at 6:04:30 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Mission146
You make good points. I think I'm still not inclined to dip in public, but it's good for at home and when I'm driving. I really don't see myself using anything besides Skoal Mint Pouches because Mint was the only flavor of dip snuff I ever liked....and Renegades, I guess...which I think were Wintergreen (though I do not like Skoal Wintergreen), but they don't make Renegades anymore.

I inquired about the price of a pouch of Levi Garrett and it was almost ten dollars!!! What the hell happened!? I remember it being more like three dollars, but I guess that was nearly twenty years ago. A can of Skoal pouches is a little under $5, so that's good, and they last for almost three days in my case, which is about how long a pack of smokes would last me....2.5 days.

I remember you saying that, so I don't know what's going on with the price of a pouch of chaw here....ten dollars!?

I might give the Copenhagen pouches a try, but when I did non-pouch dip, I do remember Copenhagen being WAY too strong for me...so I'll probably stay away from those. Perhaps if I see someone dipping Cope pouches one day I'll ask if we can do a one for one trade.

I never liked any of the fruit flavors whatsoever, except there was one Cherry flavor that I thought was okay, but I'm not even 100% sure it was Skoal that made it. In any event, I'm not using any kind of dip that doesn't come in a pouch---too messy.

I could never stand Fine Cut, either. It's a complete mess. Just a bunch of little pieces everywhere that break apart and get stuck in your teeth. That's why I like the pouches, no need to smile at yourself in the mirror to make sure there are no little pieces hiding in your teeth.

I'll definitely have to do something that involves the gym. I do plenty of walking, but clearly, that's no longer enough. A steep enough incline also gets me winded these days, which is probably inexcusable for someone who hasn't even touched forty yet.

I have not bought chewing tobacco in a long long time (not a fan). But, that sounds pricey. Even the Skoal sounds pricey for PA. Is your city one of those city that does city level tobacco taxes? I just can't see 10 dollars for a pouch of chew (unless you are speaking of one of those massive extra size pouches whatever they are called).

But, yeah fine cut is terrible. Some people like it because the theory is (and it makes sense) that you absorb more nicotine as there is more surface area contact. But, its not worth it to me, not even long cut, I will stick with pouches.