The Smoking Thread

May 1st, 2021 at 3:04:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Tobacco was perfect for a stone age culture. Not very harmful as a drug, not hallucinogenic and didn't cause psychotic episodes, but great for passing around a peace pipe. You didn't have factories making cigarettes, so the idea that you could chronically irritate your lungs during all waking hours for 4-5 decades was not an aspect of usage. Most people died by their late 30s so the problems of long-term usage, such as it was, were not really encountered anyway.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 1st, 2021 at 5:35:05 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I hate cigarettes. But.... making it illegal to make them taste better (menthol) is a ridiculously stupid idea. Either make it illegal, or allow companies to make it desirable.
May 1st, 2021 at 8:22:09 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: SOOPOO
I hate cigarettes. But.... making it illegal to make them taste better (menthol) is a ridiculously stupid idea. Either make it illegal, or allow companies to make it desirable.

How about mixing tobacco with cannabis?

I wonder how that combo would taste?
May 1st, 2021 at 9:40:12 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee

Very popular in Europe
I think they do it to make pot go farther
Europeans think it's weird Americans smoke pot pure
They are very aware not to share their mixture with Americans
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 1st, 2021 at 1:18:55 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Whoa, I'd never heard that.

Do any shops sell it pre-rolled, or is it all DIY?

Gotta check out Amsterdam some day ...
May 2nd, 2021 at 4:16:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee

I often wondered why people did not do that if no other reason than you can smoke it in plain sight. Just get those cigarette tubes with the little machine to fill them. I assume they still sell them.

Maybe the differing burn temps could be an issue?
The President is a fink.
May 2nd, 2021 at 5:35:22 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Mission146
I'd recommend not trying to catch up in one day! JK

As I understand it, didn't you smoke clove cigarettes when you smoked with friends anyway? I thought you mentioned that once.

Yes, sometimes they were clove cigarettes.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 5th, 2021 at 6:19:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
Or, maybe the really smart people have no desire to live past 60.

It's more of that some really smart people are really really stupid about certain things. The really smart people I've known, most of them think they're going to live to a hundred no matter what their habits are. They are that conceited.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 6th, 2021 at 3:32:18 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
The more I think about the menthol ban the more I am upset by it. Now, I rarely smoke, and virtually never Menthol (maybe Red Camel Crush for the novelty factor, even if I never crush or at the very end) so it has not personal effect on me. But, the idea of banning flavors does annoy me. Now, the flavors that I do like such as Peach Blast cigarettes, cloves, certain other infused fruit flavors, have been long banned (which should be undone in my view). But, as a society we are keeping a product legal (cigarettes), knowing the harm, but restricting individual flavors as if that makes a difference.

"Flavors are added to tobacco products to improve flavor and taste by reducing the harshness, bitterness, and astringency.
However, the use of flavors in tobacco products raises important public health questions. For example, FDA is aware of early reports that some flavors could help adult cigarette smokers switch to potentially less harmful tobacco products. "
https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/products-ingredients-components/menthol-and-other-flavors-tobacco-products

I like this segment of their publication because it acknowledges that flavors in other less harmful tobacco products help people choose a harm reduction model (I pointed it out, because of fears that this flavor ban will eventually be applied to smokeless tobacco and nicotine products). Though, they already banned flavored vapes (leaving only tobacco and menthol flavors, which is silly because those are artificial flavors to begin with, making a vape taste like tobacco).

If the FDA feels that cigarettes are harmful, they should just outlaw them. This nitpicking of flavors is dangerous because I fear it will bleed over into tobacco products that I enjoy.
May 6th, 2021 at 4:19:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks like menthols will still be available from reservation territory.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?