License plate collecting with the Wizard

December 1st, 2015 at 6:26:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
It's a crime in NY, to the surprise of absolutely no one.

Yeah, they gave me a huge hassle when I kept mine after I got plates in AZ, had to tell them I lost them! The insurance company would not transfer my coverage or/and my finance company got upset, I forget which except that I had to scream at a few people to get it done.
The President is a fink.
December 1st, 2015 at 6:36:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
There are places in Calif that have winter
and use salt on the roads. I looked it up
and 3000 miles of Calif roads use salt in
the winter. How come none of us thought
of that.

I was thinking of saying that but didn't feel like doing the research. I've been to places like Weaverville that I bet get really nasty weather in winter. Lake Tahoe for that matter.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 1st, 2015 at 6:39:16 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Yeah, they gave me a huge hassle when I kept mine after I got plates in AZ, had to tell them I lost them! The insurance company would not transfer my coverage or/and my finance company got upset, I forget which except that I had to scream at a few people to get it done.

A friend of mine gave me his old license plates from Greece recently. Then he went back there and tried to sell some land there or something and the government demanded to know where his license plates were and held up the sale until he could produce them. So, I gave them back to him, not wanting to hold up whatever he was doing.

California is much more relaxed about their license plates. They don't care what happens to old tags no longer on the road.
December 2nd, 2015 at 12:44:56 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
The California black plates with gold letters can be ordered as vanity items from the DMV.
December 3rd, 2015 at 8:27:37 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
The California black plates with gold letters can be ordered as vanity items from the DMV.

Can you put them on any car, or only those made during the years they were originally made (1963-1972)?
December 3rd, 2015 at 8:37:10 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Wizard
Can you put them on any car, or only those made during the years they were originally made (1963-1972)?
They are vanity items, so I assume you can put them on any car. I saw one on a new Corvette.
December 3rd, 2015 at 12:03:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
They are vanity items, so I assume you can put them on any car. I saw one on a new Corvette.

I don't like that rule. Those old yellow and black plates were a real status symbol for those who still had them. Now anybody will be able to get them over the counter for an extra $50.
December 3rd, 2015 at 12:30:51 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Wizard
I don't like that rule. Those old yellow and black plates were a real status symbol for those who still had them. Now anybody will be able to get them over the counter for an extra $50.
Yeah, it looked odd on the new car. If I had a 69 Camarao SS, I would be very happy though. I think there is a rule that you can't get a sequence that could be an existing plate, so at least the original black plate holders still have their three alpha + three number status.
December 4th, 2015 at 7:19:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
$460 and reserve not met. If the reserve
isn't $500, I bet it's 1000. Ends Sunday.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 4th, 2015 at 8:29:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
$460 and reserve not met. If the reserve
isn't $500, I bet it's 1000. Ends Sunday.

Ends Sunday at 7:00 PM PST. I lowered my sniper bid when AZD showed me that the license plate in the auction is likely the front plate on the car, which as far as I know, was never seen in the movie.

I'm pretty sure I won't win but the question is will the winning bid meet the hidden reserve. I think it will close around $800 and not meet the reserve. I'll never know, but it wouldn't surprise me if the reserve is something like $999,999 and the owner was just fishing for information on what he could get.