License plate collecting with the Wizard

April 10th, 2015 at 7:04:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Are the Wheaties plates from the 50's
considered in license plate collections?
I remember them, it was fun to get in
a box of cereal.

Yes. Some collectors are very serious about them. The Disabled Veterans key chains too. However, I never got into either so can't speak to the values very well. It wouldn't surprise me if they are going down in value because the younger collectors have no personal connection to them and thus aren't interested in buying them.

Quote: AZDuffman
I didn't either, but turn it upside down as others have said.

:-)
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 10th, 2015 at 8:15:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The link I posted, the guy wanted $200 for all
48 plates. 4 bucks apiece ain't much.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 8th, 2015 at 1:51:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I have found what has to be the new Holy Grail for Wiz! I don't see then as being easy to come by so lets hope he does not resort to boosting one.................

The President is a fink.
June 30th, 2015 at 6:08:25 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I have found what has to be the new Holy Grail for Wiz! I don't see then as being easy to come by so lets hope he does not resort to boosting one.................

Wow, never even knew this type existed. I try to get every Nevada base plate too. Gotta love the Mobias strip too. I found more information about it at Nevada DMV Issues First Autonomous Vehicle Testing License to Google.

In other license plate news, check out the photo on this auction. Best license plate photo ever.
November 30th, 2015 at 8:55:45 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Oooo: I really want to win this auction. Not only am I a license plate collector but Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies.

What holds me back from a big bid is other collectors don't ascribe a lot of sentimentality to plates. In other words -- a plate is what it is and who owned it doesn't change the plate. I think it is worth more as a piece of memorabilia. Also, a good thing about eBay is that when you win an auction, you know that there is somebody in the world willing to pay about 1% less than whatever you paid.

So, my question is how high to go. With just under six days to go it is already at $305. I think it will go for around $1,000. It is hard to justify it as an investment but easy just because I like it.
November 30th, 2015 at 9:40:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
I think it will go for around $1,000. It is hard to justify it as an investment but easy just because I like it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reserve
is well over $1000. You see these
clowns all the time on Pawn, they
bring in something used as a prop
in a Steve McQueen or John Wayne
movie and think it's worth 10 times
it's actual value. If it was mine, I'd
put at least $2000 on it and if it
didn't sell, $1000 next time. It's a
game to see how high the bid goes,
then lower the reserve next time
to near that amount.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2015 at 3:04:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I see one problem, note the the yearly renewal has been removed. Can this plate be documented?

Personally I would not get too crazy on this one as the plate did not spend much time onscreen. Not talking 853-OKG or the like.
The President is a fink.
December 1st, 2015 at 8:05:50 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I see one problem, note the the yearly renewal has been removed. Can this plate be documented?

Good point! In the picture with Harvey Keitel you can see the rear license plate with a yellow registration sticker. I suspect that the license plate in the auction is the front license plate for the car, which do not require the stickers. It also seems to me the license plate in the auction is rustier than the one in the picture.

This indeed depresses the value but I'm still interested.

Regarding ridiculously high reserves -- I hate that. If you're going to have a reserve, at least disclose what it is so as to not waste bidders time.
December 1st, 2015 at 11:05:37 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Perhaps some provenance? Pulp Fiction Chevy Owner's Blog
December 1st, 2015 at 11:39:17 AM permalink
Evenbob
It is awfully rusty for a 20 year old
Calif plate, it looks like NY plate
from the 50's.