License plate collecting with the Wizard

April 26th, 2016 at 2:33:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
From this document I would say the
plate has good collector value.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 26th, 2016 at 2:38:25 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
It looks like the plate might have been legal
for a short time, for native Hawaiians, but is
not legal now.

http://hrmakahinui.com/transportation/

Good research! I think Paco would be proud if he dug that up.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 26th, 2016 at 3:24:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
Good research! I think Paco would be proud if he dug that up.

It looks like the Kingdom of Hawaii issued
plates for awhile and Hawaii eventually
rejected them. So it was a valid plate for
a short time. How many can there be out
there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 26th, 2016 at 4:27:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
It looks like the Kingdom of Hawaii issued
plates for awhile and Hawaii eventually
rejected them. So it was a valid plate for
a short time. How many can there be out
there.

I would argue that if they were used unofficially for a while, and then rejected, they were never legitimate license plates in the first place. I couldn't see the state of Hawaii ever officially respecting them.
April 26th, 2016 at 4:59:00 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I would argue that if they were used unofficially for a while, and then rejected, they were never legitimate license plates in the first place. I couldn't see the state of Hawaii ever officially respecting them.
Your take on the situation is accurate. Just because I declare Seachlight a separate nation and start manufacturing license plates does not make them "legal" until the State of Nevada rejects my claim. They were illegal the whole time.

As for collector value?? Perhaps if the feds shoot it out with me, and it gets on the news, there might be something there??
July 28th, 2016 at 9:06:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Here is a license plate I've never seen on ebay before and never openly sold anywhere. A U.S. diplomatic license plate.

Link to auction.

I will be very interesting to see what this one goes for. They change hands so seldomly and secretly that it is hard to put a price on it. However, I will anyway -- $300 to $500. It also wouldn't surprise me if the auction gets taken down early.
July 28th, 2016 at 10:00:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Here is a license plate I've never seen on ebay before and never openly sold anywhere. A U.S. diplomatic license plate.

The plate was in use from 1984 till 2007. It's
no longer valid, I don't the problem is selling
it, Property Of is not on it yet. The TG indicates
it was used in Canada. This is the new one:

July 29th, 2016 at 9:30:36 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89

Link to auction.

It will be very interesting to see what this one goes for. They change hands so seldomly and secretly that it is hard to put a price on it. However, I will anyway -- $300 to $500. It also wouldn't surprise me if the auction gets taken down early.

The Feds are pretty strict about controlling these plates. There is wording in the title change document specifying that the plates cannot be removed from the car unless authorized by the State Department, and that the plates have to be returned to the State Department's Office of Foreign Missions.
July 29th, 2016 at 9:59:30 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
The Feds are pretty strict about controlling these plates. There is wording in the title change document specifying that the plates cannot be removed from the car unless authorized by the State Department, and that the plates have to be returned to the State Department's Office of Foreign Missions.

That is what the seller told me. He gave me the plate in a paper bag so nobody would see that he had it.

I may bust these posts after the auction, because who knows who will read them and ask me for it back.
August 2nd, 2016 at 9:49:13 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Paco, are you sure you put that Hawaii post in the right place?

Two days to go and the Diplomat plate is at $330.50.