Administrator
Threads: 239
The auction closed at $450 and 40 bids.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 31st, 2016 at 8:51:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Another diplomatic plate has come up at Ebay. I don't know if it is the same seller as before. I suspect somebody may have a bunch of them and is slowly flooding the market.
September 1st, 2016 at 2:08:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Another diplomatic plate has come up at Ebay. I don't know if it is the same seller as before. I suspect somebody may have a bunch of them and is slowly flooding the market.

No renewal stickers? Is there a way they know it is for Greece?
The President is a fink.
January 3rd, 2017 at 11:42:06 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
It has been a few years since I've added a really good license plate to my collection. The collection is probably feeling neglected. However, closing tomorrow is a 1917 Nevada plate in very nice condition for its age and plate quality (which is poor for early Nevadas). 1917 is one of the six early years I'm missing from my collection. Very tough year to find in presentable shape. I would feel confident in saying that even with a bit of rust, this is one of the best 1917 Nevadas out there.

So, I put in a sniper bid. A pretty high one. As of this writing, with 29 hours to go, the bidding is at $205. I predict it will go WAY higher. Hopefully not too many other serious Nevada collectors know about it. It will make my day if I could get this plate at three times the current number.
January 3rd, 2017 at 11:46:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
It has been a few years since I've added a really good license plate to my collection. The collection is probably feeling neglected. However, closing tomorrow is a 1917 Nevada plate in very nice condition for its age and plate quality (which is poor for early Nevadas). 1917 is one of the six early years I'm missing from my collection. Very tough year to find in presentable shape. I would feel confident in saying that even with a bit of rust, this is one of the best 1917 Nevadas out there.

So, I put in a sniper bid. A pretty high one. As of this writing, with 29 hours to go, the bidding is at $205. I predict it will go WAY higher. Hopefully not too many other serious Nevada collectors know about it. It will make my day if I could get this plate at three times the current number.

Interesting only five places for digits/letters. Wonder how mans cars were even registered in NV that year?
The President is a fink.
January 3rd, 2017 at 12:15:19 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
It's a "Dealer" plate, (which, I assume, is why it starts with a "D"). Are these non-standard plates worth more or less than plates for regular vehicles?

To my untrained eye, it looks almost too good to be genuine for something 100 years old.
January 3rd, 2017 at 1:38:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Interesting only five places for digits/letters. Wonder how mans cars were even registered in NV that year?

I don't think over 100,000. I don't recall ever seeing a six-digit number for Nevada that far back. Hardly anybody lived in Nevada at the time. Silver mining was probably the main industry, thus the state slogan. I could probably dig up an exact answer but it would require a fair bit of research.

Quote: Ayecarumba
It's a "Dealer" plate, (which, I assume, is why it starts with a "D"). Are these non-standard plates worth more or less than plates for regular vehicles?

To my untrained eye, it looks almost too good to be genuine for something 100 years old.

For more recent years, dealer plates are worth more. Going that far back, probably a little less. While the dealer plates are far fewer than passenger vehicles, the basic passenger plates are most sought after by people seeking to do a "state run," meaning one plate for every year, or at least style, for the given state.

Also, antique car owners help to prop up values and a dealer plate would not be as of much use to them if they couldn't put it on their antique car, unless the owner were a legitimate car dealer.

Yes, that plate is in unusually good condition. I seriously asked myself if it was a repaint but I don't think so. The color is perfect and if it were a repaint the owner probably would have done something about the rust too. Plus it has the little holes in the paint that are typical for a plate almost 100 years old. In other words, repaints look too good.
January 3rd, 2017 at 2:04:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I don't think over 100,000. I don't recall ever seeing a six-digit number for Nevada that far back. Hardly anybody lived in Nevada at the time. Silver mining was probably the main industry, thus the state slogan. I could probably dig up an exact answer but it would require a fair bit of research.

I agree on how few people. I was just thinking out loud, don't trouble yourself unless you care to find out.

Quote:
For more recent years, dealer plates are worth more. Going that far back, probably a little less. While the dealer plates are far fewer than passenger vehicles, the basic passenger plates are most sought after by people seeking to do a "state run," meaning one plate for every year, or at least style, for the given state.

Also, antique car owners help to prop up values and a dealer plate would not be as of much use to them if they couldn't put it on their antique car, unless the owner were a legitimate car dealer.

I was not aware they had dealer plates that far back, but I guess they were needed. That would make it very rare as there could not have been more than 1-200 dealer plates made in that year for NV, if that. As to use for antique owners, not sure if it would matter for a YOM/EOM plate, but I can say I doubt many owners would want a dealer plate as from experience those owners want realistic plates, a dealer plate would not look "right."
The President is a fink.
January 3rd, 2017 at 4:20:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
I was not aware they had dealer plates that far back, but I guess they were needed. That would make it very rare as there could not have been more than 1-200 dealer plates made in that year for NV, if that. As to use for antique owners, not sure if it would matter for a YOM/EOM plate, but I can say I doubt many owners would want a dealer plate as from experience those owners want realistic plates, a dealer plate would not look "right."

Yes, in most states they go way back. They were often identified with just a D and a number. In the case of Nevada, they evidently do not have separate numbers for the dealer plates. Yep, the main people who like dealer plates specialize in them. I never got into them. I do have a 50-state set of motorcycle, handicapped and highway patrol plates. This may be the only known 1917 Nevada dealer plate out there.
January 3rd, 2017 at 6:23:24 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Yes, in most states they go way back. They were often identified with just a D and a number. In the case of Nevada, they evidently do not have separate numbers for the dealer plates. Yep, the main people who like dealer plates specialize in them. I never got into them. I do have a 50-state set of motorcycle, handicapped and highway patrol plates. This may be the only known 1917 Nevada dealer plate out there.

This is disturbing:

Why would this replica happen to be a "D" plate, much like the one in the auction?