License plate collecting with the Wizard

January 28th, 2017 at 10:04:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
I've never seen a fund-raiser plate in Mexico before, the city, state, or country. I'd like to get one.

I've no idea what a "fund-raiser plate" is.

2010 marked the 200th anniversary of independence and the 100th of the revolution. Plates in the state of Mexico produced in 2010-2011 have a commemorative design. My car is 2011 and has two such plates. No idea whether/how I can keep them when either 1) plates have to be exchanged or 2) I sell the car. But I can look into it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 28th, 2017 at 12:43:16 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. Henry Ford
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/henry_ford.html

Good advice for license plate collectors as well as Super Bowl proposition bettors.
January 28th, 2017 at 12:55:53 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
I've no idea what a "fund-raiser plate" is.

Here in the states you can pay about $50 extra, per year, for special license plates they donate the extra money to a particular cause. For example, education, women's health (nobody cares about men's health), saving endangered species, veterans, and so on.

In your case the state of Mexico is giving them to everybody. They do that here too. A lot of states marked the bicentennial in 1976 with special license plates that everybody got at no extra charge. In some cases they were optional. I don't know whether the optional required an extra fee. In California, where I lived at the time, they didn't do anything.

Image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/118641771408963860/.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 28th, 2017 at 5:07:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I didn't know that. I knew the assembly line, which I think Ford invented, brought down the price of Fords, but I didn't think they were that affordable.

Ford gets credit, but not at all the inventor.

REO was the first automaker, plus the idea was there for the taking.

Ford did take it to the extreme, might be the first to really understand time-and-motion studies. In the end he almost did it too well as he just set it for Model T and when they had to change it was a shutdown large enough to lower GNP for the quarter.
The President is a fink.
January 29th, 2017 at 6:22:32 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Here in the states you can pay about $50 extra, per year, for special license plates they donate the extra money to a particular cause. For example, education, women's health (nobody cares about men's health), saving endangered species, veterans, and so on.

In your case the state of Mexico is giving them to everybody. They do that here too. A lot of states marked the bicentennial in 1976 with special license plates that everybody got at no extra charge. In some cases they were optional. I don't know whether the optional required an extra fee. In California, where I lived at the time, they didn't do anything.

In Florida we literally have hundreds of plates to pick from

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/

I kind of like the old days. Could tell an out of state plate with just a glance
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 29th, 2017 at 6:35:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined

I kind of like the old days. Could tell an out of state plate with just a glance

+1 there. It has gotten totally out of hand.
The President is a fink.
January 29th, 2017 at 7:25:33 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
+1 there. It has gotten totally out of hand.

Its getting absurd
We got Auburn graduates here in Florida that want their own plates
We have Packer fans here in Florida, They want Florida Packer plates
geez, bumper stickers don't cut it anymore?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 29th, 2017 at 7:38:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
Its getting absurd
We got Auburn graduates here in Florida that want their own plates
We have Packer fans here in Florida, They want Florida Packer plates
geez, bumper stickers don't cut it anymore?

I read it years ago and forget the state where you had to actually request a "plain" 2-color plate. I also dislike 3 or more colors, very hard to read some of these plates. I have actually had to read a plate to report a hit and run. Plates need to have contrast.

PennDOT here in PA had the standard that you needed 1,000 or something to do a run and more or less anyone could get one. I think most states had that, then they started deeming some "offensive" so not as easy as before. Still I would kill all of them if I could. But states are not passing up all that marginal revenue. Say $10 or more per plate but maybe $100 in design work and average labor cost to make the plates $0.20 per hour?
The President is a fink.
January 29th, 2017 at 8:59:09 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
I read it years ago and forget the state where you had to actually request a "plain" 2-color plate.

You can do that in both California and Nevada. Specifically, you can request old styles of simple two color plates used in the past. Based on observation, a lot of people are doing it. In California, they call it the California 1960s Legacy.

Original

Replica

Personally, I oppose this. Before, it was quite the status symbol in California to have an original yellow on black license plate, which ran from 1963 to 1968. Now any schmoe can order one from the DMV and put it on any car. In all fairness, you can still tell the originals from the new ones. The new ones, for one thing, look newer. For another, the lettering looks a little smaller and skinnier.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 29th, 2017 at 9:34:45 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Not an official response as I didn't research or nothing, but what I've seen in NY is a lot fewer options. We do have an option for retro plates, and I very often see them sported on the rides in the many car shows I go to. Thinking about it, it's pretty rare to see a classic car with modern plates on it. Many have the mustard yellow and royal blue of the 60's and 70's, as this was the heart of car culture (or at least is around here; not too many rides circa '30 - '50 in these parts =/)

We also offer a selection of what I would call "state sponsored" plates. Things that denote support or membership in DEC (several options in hunting and fishing) and of course a number for the many different branches of service. It is quite common indeed to see plates denoting the different branches, purple hearts, major wars (mostly Korea/Nam) and they're typically numbered to denote battalion / squad, like CAL101 for the 101st cavalry or other such identifying combinations.

That's all I can recall, though. I remember no Twin Towers plates, or Corning Glass plates, or Niagara Falls plates, or any other random garbage. Seems pretty small time and "official" in these parts, which makes sense in the land of anti-fun.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.