License plate collecting with the Wizard

January 4th, 2017 at 2:20:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
Personally, I can't think of an avenue for this. But, seeing how (especially) the very new plates have all gone to hell within <5 years as the screen or film peels right off, I do think and wonder what, if anything, should be sought out and kept for a rainy day when I'm 95yrs old.

Anything that boys love to have and parents like to throw away, will inevitably appreciate in value when the boys grow up and have the money and nostalgia to reconstruct their childhoods' favorites. The trick is to figure out what those favorites will be. It's what we've seen with comic books, toys, and baseball cards.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 4th, 2017 at 2:32:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Wonder if autonomous cars will be separately licensed, and if early versions of those plates.... I've said too much ><

;)

They will be, I linked to it earlier in this thread.

I doubt they will be worth much. I doubt much of anything post-1980 is ever worth much. A few odds and ends, but today's stuff is either junk, everyone saved it in hopes of a payday, or both. I have a bunch of 15-20 year old beer and coke collectibles sitting in my place, all are worth less than $5 each.
The President is a fink.
January 4th, 2017 at 2:58:56 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
EvenBob, don't forget PC on an old plate does not mean Public Conveyance ( aka Taxi ) It stands for PneumatiC tires
January 4th, 2017 at 3:44:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I would totally trust the seller here,
he's sold thousands of plates on
Ebay for years and has no neg FB.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2017 at 4:16:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Wiz, do you ever speculate? Or, to clarify since I may not be using that word properly, do you try to find plates of today that will be worth something down the road?

It used to be that charity base plates, like the ones you pay about $60 extra dollars for, where desirable. Collectors of particular states would try to get each one. However, most states now have so damn many kinds that most collectors have thrown their hands in the air and said "to hell with it," and stopped acquiring new ones. Personally, I go after the special issues in California and Nevada. California doesn't have that many but Nevada is getting ridiculous with about 50 kinds, some of which have been discontinued. I'll pick up new ones I need here and there at the license plate shows but don't go out of my way.

Certain foreign plates are valuable, like Iran. I almost got one last month. Came in second in an Ebay auction.

Generally speaking, if you want your plates to hold their value, the simple older US plates are the way to go. That Nevada 1917 is a perfect example of a plate that will hold value.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 4th, 2017 at 4:16:54 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
I would totally trust the seller here,
he's sold thousands of plates on
Ebay for years and has no neg FB.

Thanks. We've exchanged a few more messages and he seems like a good guy. Was very curious about that fake and who has it and why.

p.s. 40 minutes to go and the price is at $283.
p.s.s. 6 minutes to go and still at $283.
January 4th, 2017 at 4:58:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I take it you won?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2017 at 5:05:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
I take it you won?

I did! I'm pleased to say I got it for $354. I was prepared to go much higher. This makes my day. Thanks again for your advice on this. I truly appreciate it.
January 4th, 2017 at 6:39:26 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
I did! I'm pleased to say I got it for $354. I was prepared to go much higher. This makes my day. Thanks again for your advice on this. I truly appreciate it.

Congratulations Wizard! Please keep us up to date when you take possession. I am sure we would all like to know the story of how it managed to survive in such good condition.
January 4th, 2017 at 7:39:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
Congratulations Wizard! Please keep us up to date when you take possession. I am sure we would all like to know the story of how it managed to survive in such good condition.

I wrote to a friend of mine who knows way more about plates than me. He said that plate was in the collection of a collector in Sacramento, who died two years ago. His grandson is selling off the collection plate by plate.