License plate collecting with the Wizard

Page 55 of 58« First<52535455565758>
April 17th, 2020 at 8:34:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I put in a sniper bid on that 1916 Hawaii, but I doubt it will I'll get it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 18th, 2020 at 1:02:26 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Wizard
I put in a sniper bid on that 1916 Hawaii, but I doubt it will I'll get it.

Six hours to go. Price still holding at $1825.
April 18th, 2020 at 7:36:16 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
It closed at $3383. My bid was the third highest at $2750.
April 18th, 2020 at 8:04:36 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This is a totally off topic comment. But, after all of these years of seeing your posts on liscense plate collecting it has always been in the back of my mind:

What is the legality of owning old liscense plates?

I have moved a lot, and always have to surrender old plates to the state from which they were issued either in person or by mail.

Is it actually legal to possess defunct plates? Or is there a special year (like with firearms) that before that year there are basically no restrictions as they are deemed antiques?

I am not trying to bash your hobby, I am genuinely curious the actual laws?
April 18th, 2020 at 8:37:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler
after all of these years of seeing your posts on liscense plate collecting it has always been in the back of my mind:

Years? You've been here 8 months.
And please don't claim you were
an avid lurker for years, nobody
but nobody does that. The 2nd
week you were here I accused
you of being somebody who
was nuked because you knew
everything about everybody.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 18th, 2020 at 9:11:10 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
Years? You've been here 8 months.
And please don't claim you were
an avid lurker for years, nobody
but nobody does that. The 2nd
week you were here I accused
you of being somebody who
was nuked because you knew
everything about everybody.

You realize I came here from WOV where this topic has been discussed.... I only made an account here to carry over some political discourse from there after the ban..... My WOV account is from 2014, I have been following the Wizard of Odds for some time before that (before I learned of the sister site with a forum).....

Also, yes, I have known about this site before the political ban, but it was not worth making an account because it was so dead, and most discourse was still happening there....

I have one account on both sites, its just me Gandler (same name), sorry to disappoint....
April 19th, 2020 at 4:04:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
This is a totally off topic comment. But, after all of these years of seeing your posts on liscense plate collecting it has always been in the back of my mind:

I have moved a lot, and always have to surrender old plates to the state from which they were issued either in person or by mail.

Is it actually legal to possess defunct plates? Or is there a special year (like with firearms) that before that year there are basically no restrictions as they are deemed antiques?

I am not trying to bash your hobby, I am genuinely curious the actual laws?

That depends on the state. NY I was supposed to turn them in but kept them, told them I lost them in a move. PA and AZ you just keep them if they expire. In PA you are supposed to turn them in if they are still valid but enforcement is lax. I sold a car and kept the plate, nobody bothered me. But in NY I had to fight about it because I forget exactly but I think I could not cancel my insurance or transfer the title to AZ without the turn in.
The President is a fink.
April 19th, 2020 at 6:26:48 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

Some states are a PITA. In NY, you can't cancel your insurance until you turn them in, requiring you to go through some song and dance including paying for state property if you "lose" them. Once that is settled, though, there is no penalty for simply having them. Many have displays in the garage (even I have them, as they make great exhaust patches) and they've got some popularity with a certain group of tuner kids who use them as wide body kits / fender flares / go-fast wings.

If you can own them in the People's Republic (albeit with effort), I imagine it only gets easier from there.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 19th, 2020 at 10:39:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
My only experience involves driving off to live in new areas with old plates. Then taking the plates off and getting the required new ones.

Of course, staying in the same area, you just get new stickers nowadays.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 19th, 2020 at 10:45:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
My only experience involves driving off to live in new areas with old plates. Then taking the plates off and getting the required new ones.

Of course, staying in the same area, you just get new stickers nowadays.

PA got rid of the stickers to save money. Word is they may bring them back because people saved their own money not buying them.
The President is a fink.
Page 55 of 58« First<52535455565758>