Humanity colonizing the galaxy

Page 1 of 41234>
June 28th, 2021 at 9:58:48 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Elon Musk and many others believe mankind should build the tools to leave this earth and then find and colonize other worlds.

He's building some of the tools, which I think is, in a word, FABULOUS!

What better use for billions of bucks than to plow it into human destiny?

Of course, what will happen if and when we run into another sentient life form from another planet, and they deem us unworthy of ascension?

Just gotta roll dem bones and hope for the best.

Go deep ... into space.
June 29th, 2021 at 2:51:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
Elon Musk and many others believe mankind should build the tools to leave this earth and then find and colonize other worlds.

Not possible. To even reach the end of our solar system takes a generation. To even get to any kind of object period let alone one you can land on will take several generations past that.

Mankind will be gone in about 1,000 years so what is the bother.
The President is a fink.
June 29th, 2021 at 5:54:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Although there aren’t solutions to a number of difficulties, one can argue that we continue to advance possible solutions. 3D printing for instance can give us the ability to replicate parts over immense distance, including enabling technical solutions solved on Earth to be transmitted to Mars for instance.

. Baby steps.

Humans continue to do things some thought impossible. Until that stops there’s always hope for more.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 29th, 2021 at 6:02:40 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Elon Musk thinks and says a lot of things which sound great, but will never happen. The more that I read about him the he seems about hype.

500k passenger tickets to Mars by 2026? I would be surprised if SpaceX even gets unmanned flights to Mars by 2026.....

If you go back to the mid 2000s he hypes his companies by making vast promises about whatever will be accomplished by Year X (many have long past) and they never come true.

The more I look into him his followers seem more like a cult than actually legitimately excited about company X.

Tesla is good, but most of his more inspirational companies repeatedly miss dates by many years (and show no signs of making those benchmarks on the near future).

Sorry, there will not be passenger flights to Mars in 2025 (well not from SpaceX), and certainly not for 100-500k tickets....

I don't think Space Force should have awarded SpaceX the launch contracts either, but that is another topic.....
June 29th, 2021 at 6:08:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman

Mankind will be gone in about 1,000 years so what is the bother.

People like you will die for not implementing knowable solutions. That#’s just sad. If you had died from covid that’s exactly what I would have pointed out. The vaccines were available. You aren’t going to die from the cost of reducing the carbon footprint, but you have a better chance from not doing anything about climate change.

At least I will probably die from out of some out of control science.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 29th, 2021 at 6:19:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
People like you will die for not implementing knowable solutions. That#’s just sad. If you had died from covid that’s exactly what I would have pointed out. The vaccines were available. You aren’t going to die from the cost of reducing the carbon footprint, but you have a better chance from not doing anything about climate change.

At least I will probably die from out of some out of control science.

Statistically you will probably die from heard disease. I will die from something. Probably like my dad I will fall and crack my head bad. Or some kind of cancer. It is what it is.

"Climate Change" as I have pointed out many times the biggest fraud of our time. You cannot change what the sun is doing to the planet.

But no matter what, mankind will be gone in 1,000 years. The "planet" will go on changing its climate without us.
The President is a fink.
June 29th, 2021 at 6:33:35 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
Not possible. To even reach the end of our solar system takes a generation. To even get to any kind of object period let alone one you can land on will take several generations past that.

The closest star, Proxima Centauri, is 4.26 light years away. Your statement might be true at speeds today, but who is to say we can't get to 10% of light speed, making the time there 42.6 years.

Here is a question -- Does the aging process slow down in hibernation?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 29th, 2021 at 6:42:55 AM permalink
rxwine
We already know simple organisms can be revived from the permafrost after thousands of years. You could possibly get a human to survive in embryo form through the same idea.
But so far, that’s as close as we could come,

Now I feel obligated to mention Ted Williams frozen head.
June 29th, 2021 at 7:17:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard
The closest star, Proxima Centauri, is 4.26 light years away. Your statement might be true at speeds today, but who is to say we can't get to 10% of light speed, making the time there 42.6 years.

Here is a question -- Does the aging process slow down in hibernation?

186,000 miles per second--It's a law we can live with!

We have proven that time slows as speed increases by taking an atomic clock on a spaceship I saw it on some History Channel thing I forget when. Looked like BTTF when Einstein skipped a minute. Honestly I get *that* time is relative to where you are but the *why* is harder.

As to aging, I do not think it would slow if you were on such a ship traveling. Keeping it simple, your heart beats at X rate over Y time. It has Z beats before it finally conks out for good. But you said "hibernation" which is similar but different.

Hibernation IMHO would slow some things but not others. Your heart will still need to beat even if say 4 beats a minute. Your muscles will flat out start to rot. You will still be making blood and your brain still needs to work. Thus you could have a fairly young person with many "old person" problems.

Back to the 42 year trip. Assuming the big things happen, namely there is an actual planet with a survivable environment, look at all it will take. Whatever they travel in will need to be a "mother ship" many times the size of the current space station. You would need to sent up almost constant supply ships to follow it as there is zero way to carry all the food, water, and medical supplies needed. Even if they hibernate they need that when they get there. IOW, logistics are pretty impossible.

Rounding to 45 years we are talking something set up in 1976 lasting until today. Making something that will last in absolute zero for that long not easy. The beer can be kept cold but how about the moving parts?

I am just a realist on it I suppose.
The President is a fink.
June 29th, 2021 at 7:20:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
Elon Musk thinks and says a lot of things which sound great, but will never happen. The more that I read about him the he seems about hype.

Of course he is, remember Tesla has not made a profit on the cars yet. He is one of those "idea guys" who should be in charge of the lab not be CEO.

At the rate he is going he will be a guest in Allenwood, PA if he does not learn to keep his mouth shut about the financial markets. He does not grasp that AZDuffman on a minor forum talking about Tesla is allowed, a corporate officer doing it on Twitter not so much.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 41234>