Ukraine conflict

March 3rd, 2022 at 8:37:24 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Tanko
He intends to use his nukes against the West. Especially the US.

Good, let her rip.

What, you think we cannot defend and respond?

If Putin launches nukes against the west we'll retaliate, as he knows damned well, and Russia will cease to exist.

Of course Vlad Dracula could be crazy enough to do it, especially if he feels cornered, suicidal and depressed.
March 3rd, 2022 at 8:51:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee

Of course Vlad Dracula could be crazy enough to do it, especially if he feels cornered, suicidal and depressed.

Hmm, Count Vladula, the impaler.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 3rd, 2022 at 9:02:01 AM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: rxwine
Hmm, Count Vladula, the impaler.

Or simply "Dracula."

For those unfamiliar with the amazing historical figure "Vlad the Impaler:"

https://www.nbcnews.com/sciencemain/vlad-impaler-real-dracula-was-absolutely-vicious-8c11505315

March 3rd, 2022 at 9:34:24 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Good, let her rip. What, you think we cannot defend and respond?

First strike has the advantage. We might not be able to respond effectively.

Nuclear detonations cause Nuclear Blackout. A disruption of radio communications and radar, that lasts for hours, spread over hundreds of miles, due to ionized air, caused by explosion.

If we were able to launch a retaliatory strike, the missiles could lose their guidance and land anywhere.

Quote:

He is crazy enough.

This missile was fired, possibly by a submarine 35 miles off the California coast in 2010. The USAF claims to have no idea who fired it. One theory is, the missile was fired from a Chinese sub, as a warning to the US.
March 3rd, 2022 at 9:59:49 AM permalink
missedhervee
We would be able to respond with nukes if attacked.

There's simply no way they could paste us with nukes without us learning about it and responding before the nukes fell upon us.

Unless, hypothetically, a nuke in a suitcase was used in DC to take out the entire government initially, followed by an immediate massive attack; with the president, VP etc. vaporized I can see definite issues with trying to mount a retaliatory strike, as the chain of command would be decapitated and the launch codes gone.

I suspect our enemies have this very scenario in mind.
March 3rd, 2022 at 10:24:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Russia supposedly still has a "Dead Hand" system in place. It enables the nuclear system to act even if the command structure has been destroyed.

I imagine our missles have multiple tracking systems. Cruise missles can follow the landscape with a visual system. Doesn't need the satellites.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 3rd, 2022 at 11:52:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
We are hearing quite a bit about a much slower pace for the invasion than Putin expected. I suppose that is correct, but I don't know if we can assume it is truly stymied to the point it won't succeed on a delayed timeline. Could be, there's an 'all of a sudden' collapse of the Ukrainian military.

If the Russians had known for sure the resistance would be stiff, I don't think they would be so spread out. The invasion seems to be going better in the South, coming up from the Crimea. But Blitzkrieg it is not.

Animated Wikipedia Map,

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 3rd, 2022 at 12:17:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Putin gives me the impression, that if he survived a nuclear attack, he would announce a success. (through what, I don't know, a megaphone I guess, since there likely wouldn't be much a broadcast system left)
March 3rd, 2022 at 12:19:33 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Fascinating video about Putin
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 3rd, 2022 at 12:27:07 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
We would be able to respond with nukes if attacked.

There's simply no way they could paste us with nukes without us learning about it and responding before the nukes fell upon us.

Unless, hypothetically, a nuke in a suitcase was used in DC to take out the entire government initially, followed by an immediate massive attack; with the president, VP etc. vaporized I can see definite issues with trying to mount a retaliatory strike, as the chain of command would be decapitated and the launch codes gone.

I suspect our enemies have this very scenario in mind.
Do you think they gave her the real codes? I think those are held more privately with some upper military echelon . They don't pass the football back and forth every few years like everyone thinks. When a POTUS is sworn, the codes are already in a secure place .
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW