Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade?

July 6th, 2022 at 1:47:37 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Interesting
The SCOTUS ruled in the 90s that protesting at the home of an abortion clinic employees was Constitutional
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 6th, 2022 at 2:11:57 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Interesting
The SCOTUS ruled in the 90s that protesting at the home of an abortion clinic employees was Constitutional

It is legal to protest almost anybody in front of their residence (as long as it is a public sidewalk).

There are just some laws that prohibits it for certain judges during certain decisions (so as not to influence).

The right celebrates harassing people at home when it is a cause that they agree with. (as a source look at the COVID thread when almost all of the right wing on the forum celebrated the protests outside the cop's home who arrested people for no masks -I guarantee if BLM was protesting outside of cops homes they would feel different-).....
July 7th, 2022 at 5:46:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'm curious about these laws designed to prosecute or sue someone helping someone get an abortion. Is it typical that one could prosecute someone for going across the border and engage in a legal activity in that state. Imagine prosecuting someone for driving someone else into a marijuana legal state so they could smoke weed?

I understand how you could get someone for bringing it back. But that won't be occurring.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 7th, 2022 at 11:21:54 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
I'm curious about these laws designed to prosecute or sue someone helping someone get an abortion. Is it typical that one could prosecute someone for going across the border and engage in a legal activity in that state. Imagine prosecuting someone for driving someone else into a marijuana legal state so they could smoke weed?

I understand how you could get someone for bringing it back. But that won't be occurring.

I don’t see any way you could prosecute someone for not committing a crime in another state simply because what they did would be a crime in your state. How far could that one be taken?

You go to Vegas, do some dope (bringing none back with you), and get arrested when you get back home. That is absurd.

I cannot see any charges like this being successfully prosecuted. The crime needs to be committed in state to make you liable to state laws.
July 7th, 2022 at 12:44:39 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: RonC
I don’t see any way you could prosecute someone for not committing a crime in another state simply because what they did would be a crime in your state. How far could that one be taken?

You go to Vegas, do some dope (bringing none back with you), and get arrested when you get back home. That is absurd.

I cannot see any charges like this being successfully prosecuted. The crime needs to be committed in state to make you liable to state laws.

Not quite the same because you aren't detained and charged but when a Canadian is crossing the border and is asked if he has ever smoked cannabis if he answers yes he will be refused entry and have his name put on the list of people not allowed into the US.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 7th, 2022 at 2:11:37 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: kenarman
Not quite the same because you aren't detained and charged but when a Canadian is crossing the border and is asked if he has ever smoked cannabis if he answers yes he will be refused entry and have his name put on the list of people not allowed into the US.

Amazing that we have rules at the Canadian border. Do we ask those questions at the Southern border? Everyone would learn the correct answer quickly, of course.

Those entry requirements are a different set of issues. I used to get asked about guns every time I entered Canada. I had a short haircut and was in the military but, other than the hair, nothing to make that extra obvious.
July 7th, 2022 at 4:12:25 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: RonC
Amazing that we have rules at the Canadian border. Do we ask those questions at the Southern border? Everyone would learn the correct answer quickly, of course.

Those entry requirements are a different set of issues. I used to get asked about guns every time I entered Canada. I had a short haircut and was in the military but, other than the hair, nothing to make that extra obvious.

Maybe cannabis is the wrong answer I guess you should say fentanyl it seems to work well at the Mexican border.
July 8th, 2022 at 5:13:55 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
THE HORROR

Quote: Politico
“THE RIGHT … TO EAT DINNER”— On Wednesday night, D.C. protesters targeting the conservative Supreme Court justices who signed onto the Dobbs decision overturning the constitutional right to abortion got a tip that Justice BRETT KAVANAUGH was dining at Morton’s downtown D.C. location. Protesters soon showed up out front, called the manager to tell him to kick Kavanaugh out and later tweeted that the justice was forced to exit through the rear of the restaurant.

Daniel Lippman looked into the incident for us and confirmed that account.

While the court had no official comment on Kavanaugh’s behalf and a person familiar with the situation said he did not hear or see the protesters and ate a full meal but left before dessert, Morton’s was outraged about the incident. A rep for the chain steakhouse sent Lippman this statement:

“Honorable Supreme Court Justice Kavanaugh and all of our other patrons at the restaurant were unduly harassed by unruly protestors while eating dinner at our Morton’s restaurant. Politics, regardless of your side or views, should not trample the freedom at play of the right to congregate and eat dinner. There is a time and place for everything. Disturbing the dinner of all of our customers was an act of selfishness and void of decency.”

I fully support making these 5 justices’ lives a living hell for the rest of eternity.

And if anyone is outraged, remember this SCOTUS has been abundantly clear that Americans are not entitled to avoid passing through sidewalk protests on the way to or from exercising rights of their own.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 8th, 2022 at 7:06:48 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: ams288
THE HORROR

I fully support making these 5 justices’ lives a living hell for the rest of eternity.

And if anyone is outraged, remember this SCOTUS has been abundantly clear that Americans are not entitled to avoid passing through sidewalk protests on the way to or from exercising rights of their own.

So you believe in get in their face anyplace politics and make a persons life a living hell. Sounds like the protest at the Capital was something you would support.
July 8th, 2022 at 7:11:03 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
So you believe in get in their face anyplace politics and make a persons life a living hell. Sounds like the protest at the Capital was something you would support.

The “protest at the Capitol” was an armed insurrection attempt. Not a protest.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman