Should Trans People be allowed to use opposite sex bathrooms?

Thread Rating:

April 20th, 2023 at 8:13:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If you want to draw a correlation to mental disorder and transgender, check out hypertrichosis. As far as I know the condition doesn't automatically cause mental disorder. You could live normally if people would treat you like you are just like anyone else. But we know that is unlikely. Because the condition is extremely visible.

Quote:
Hypertrichosis can cause severe emotional distress for patients, especially those who do not have access to permanent laser hair removal or electrolysis. Self-confidence and quality of life may be extremely low for these patients secondary to societal scrutinization and bullying in patients of all ages. In cases of severe hypertrichosis, it is imperative to arrange mental health care for patients in addition to medical care to address the underlying cause of the hypertrichosis,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK534854/#:~:text=Hypertrichosis%20is%20defined%20as%20excessive,hairs%20in%20androgen%2Ddependent%20sites.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 20th, 2023 at 8:22:19 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
If you want to draw a correlation to mental disorder and transgender, check out hypertrichosis. As far as I know the condition doesn't automatically cause mental disorder. You could live normally if people would treat you like you are just like anyone else. But we know that is unlikely. Because the condition is extremely visible.

(Edited to not duplicate link and picture)

Definitely. I am 100% willing to stipulate that the treatment of family, friends, society (in general) could very well have a negative psychological impact on a transgendered individual. I would suspect that transgenderism, in and of itself, is a form of psychological disorder, but I am willing to be proven wrong on that.

But, I 100% agree with you that people being treated poorly by society, and being ostracized, could lead to psychological disorder and/or exacerbate any psychological issues that already exist. How would it not?

It'll be interesting to study some of these peoples' brains as they start kicking it. It'll be an interesting question to have answered.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 20th, 2023 at 8:38:24 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
The whole transgender thing comes down to expecting society to make you happy not to find your own inner happiness. You have the power to chose to be happy or not. Most people spend their whole life chasing happiness with a basic lie to themselves, 'I could be happy if only (fill in the blank). They of course after they make that change find out they are still unhappy. I need to change my spouse, job, gender, weight etc. etc. The problem is many of these changes that they make to be happy are not easily changed back. If people would reverse this process so many of their problems would disappear, first change is to decide to be happy and life becomes much easier.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 20th, 2023 at 8:39:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Personally, if there is something really different about you that is rare, though it could be called a disorder, I prefer to only address it medically if you think it's a problem for you, not if I think so.

I know the exact answer could be difficult with parents and child, but I'd still rather side on allowing intervention if they decide. It could be a good decision for one and a bad decision for another. I only know the complete ban on trans conversion is 100% no choice at all for one side of that issue.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 20th, 2023 at 11:00:43 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mission146

Being transgender would seem to indicate to me that all is not psychologically well with a person, as would committing suicide.

That statement from you surprises me. I do not assume someone that commits suicide is psychologically unwell.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 20th, 2023 at 11:14:55 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
That statement from you surprises me. I do not assume someone that commits suicide is psychologically unwell.

At a minimum, I think a correlation can be argued for.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 20th, 2023 at 11:53:45 AM permalink
rxwine

Can be logical reasons to commit suicide, though I think I might have tried harder to fit on that door with Kate Winslet.
April 20th, 2023 at 1:00:42 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Maybe by those who are psychologically unwell.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 20th, 2023 at 1:23:23 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154

Highlighting the suicide rates always seems like a spurious position to take, in my opinion. Are we assuming these same people would not be committing suicide if they did not receive the gender-affirming care?
for this person I mentioned, it was not posed as a factor and I can't say in her case. I'll bet the lack of family discussion beyond the few direct people involved is not unique to our family. However, other sources I then, at that time, consulted, said it was one reason we should have all this stuff we didn't seem to need 5 years ago. To be clear, this argument is indeed that undergoing the change will help prevent suicides.

Quote:
My tendency is to think, with or without the gender-affirming care, people with psychological issues are still going to be people with psychological issues. I suppose you can technically have the argument as we would first have to outlaw gender-affirming care, then take a survey of how many people who would get gender-affirming care, were it available, but committed suicide.
It is hard to prove and in fact I am seeing claims now that the suicide rate is still quite high after the transition and perhaps even worse.

Quote:
Being transgender would seem to indicate to me that all is not psychologically well with a person, as would committing suicide. Transgender individuals have a tendency to be psychologically unwell. This does not surprise me.
seems logical to me too
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 20th, 2023 at 2:05:09 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote:
ESPN has been very adamant about keeping politics out of their programming, yet you just saw, late last month, they did a whole tribute, during Women’s Month, for Lia Thomas

well, I missed that they did that tribute completely. I agree that it is an absolute scandal!

there have been several incidents during Women's History Month of trans-women being celebrated instead of women. The perverse nature of that is almost unbelievable. Nothing is too much for the Wokes-in-Chief types that are running these places

https://nypost.com/2023/04/20/outkicks-charly-arnolt-felt-stifled-at-espn/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]