Things that are overpriced

Page 3 of 9<123456>Last »
May 29th, 2023 at 3:58:33 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
I was walking past a storefront just awhile ago that is going to be opened as a restaurant sometime soon. The thing is, it was a restaurant just a few months earlier which closed. No one was working today (Memorial Day, I guess) but I looked at the permit on the door. Construction cost listed was $120,000. 120k to covert a previous restaurant to a new restaurant. I don't know if that's overpriced.

If they are changing out any equipment it can go up fast. The low end for anything commercial in stainless steel is $10K and it goes up from there. I would think that $120K is very low end for a remodel.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 29th, 2023 at 9:39:23 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
One thing that has NOT gone up drastically in price is weed.

Used to pay fifteen or so for an ounce of Mexican; some dispensaries in Oregon sell ounces of non- "top shelf" outdoor grown cannabis for not much more than that.

Given the price is still good and the quality is orders of magnitude better, I call it a "win-win."
May 30th, 2023 at 2:36:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I was walking past a storefront just awhile ago that is going to be opened as a restaurant sometime soon. The thing is, it was a restaurant just a few months earlier which closed. No one was working today (Memorial Day, I guess) but I looked at the permit on the door. Construction cost listed was $120,000. 120k to covert a previous restaurant to a new restaurant. I don't know if that's overpriced.

That is what a good remodel cost. Tradesmen do not work for free. Restaurant equipment can be pricey. A full blown QSR remodel will go a quarter mil. That is why franchisees balk when places like Burger King want to remodel all their stores.
The President is a fink.
May 30th, 2023 at 4:40:34 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Gandler
Where do you live that Marlboros are 1.64? I live in I think the cheapest State (bottom 3 anyway, within a couple cents of each other) for cigs, and its 3.50-4.50 a pack for Marlboros depending on deals. There are some ultra discount brands (Pryamid, Maverick, etc...) in the 2s, but these are the fringe. I have never seen a pack below 2 dollars.

Even shady Indian Reservations, you could not find those prices.
Do you live in Eastern Europe or Asia?

If you don't mind me asking are you native to Brazil or did you move there?
May 30th, 2023 at 4:47:55 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
If you don't mind me asking are you native to Brazil or did you move there?

I'm a native citizen of the USA and been here a couple of years.

I have a resident card but haven't decided to become a dual citizen.
May 30th, 2023 at 9:08:00 AM permalink
DoubleGold
In regards to the sin tax (tobacco), I suppose obesity tax (gluttony) is out of the question.

Especially, since the mayor of NYC outlawed obesity discrimination.

Why not outlaw all sin discrimination?

Do non-obese citizens pay for obese persons' hospital bills?
May 30th, 2023 at 10:27:06 AM permalink
DoubleGold
I'm thinking a Big Mac tax of $5 and $1 for fries.

-----------------------

Adult Obesity Facts

Page last reviewed: May 17, 2022
The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the United States was nearly $173 billion in 2019 dollars. Medical costs for adults who had obesity were $1,861 higher than medical costs for people with healthy weight.
https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

-----------------------
May 30th, 2023 at 10:51:42 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DoubleGold

-----------------------

Adult Obesity Facts

The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the United States was nearly $173 billion in 2019 dollars. Medical costs for adults who had obesity were $1,861 higher than medical costs for people with healthy weight.

-----------------------

Careful what you wish for (even if being sarcastic) some countries have tried this, and locally some cities through the U.S. have done this. It is rarely effective and just encourages people to exit city limits (sometimes as simple as crossing a street) to buy lunch. And, like all such taxes it hurts the poor the most.
May 30th, 2023 at 10:56:26 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Careful what you wish for (even if being sarcastic) some countries have tried this, and locally some cities through the U.S. have done this. It is rarely effective and just encourages people to exit city limits (sometimes as simple as crossing a street) to buy lunch. And, like all such taxes it hurts the poor the most.

Either way is fine with me.

Just make it an even playing field.
May 30th, 2023 at 1:23:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DoubleGold

-----------------------

Adult Obesity Facts

-----------------------

Obesity is none of the government's business or problem.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 9<123456>Last »