Wyoming proposal to ban EVs by 2035

Page 1 of 3123>
January 16th, 2023 at 10:56:01 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
https://www.nbc15.com/2023/01/16/wyoming-weighs-electric-car-ban/

A new proposal by six Wyoming state legislators would seek to ban sales of electric vehicles by 2035. The four senators and two representatives who sponsored the bill explain their aim is to protect the state’s oil and gas industries. They also claim a switch to electric vehicles would hurt the state economy and make it harder for Wyoming to trade with other states. The half-dozen lawmakers argue the country has invested heavily in oil and gas production and those investments have paid off to the tune of thousands of jobs in their state and the U.S.

Wyoming only has a few hundred EVs registered.

The electric production in Wyoming is mostly based on coal anyway.

California produces 33.6 million metric tons of energy-related carbon dioxide in 2020 Electric Power, and 303.4 million metric tons from all sources Commercial, Electric Power ,Residential,Industrial andTransportation for close to 40 million population.

Wyoming produces 35.1 million metric tons of energy-related carbon dioxide in 2020 Electric Power, and 55.6 million metric tons from all sources Commercial, Electric Power ,Residential,Industrial andTransportation for close to 0.6 million population.

So switching all their vehicles to EVs would have minimal improvement on greenhouse gas emissions anyway without changing the primary fuel for Electric production.

Wyoming does have ~170 public charging stations as tourists with EVs do need to traverse the state.

Personally, I doubt WY is ever going to become a hot bed of EVs, and passing a law like this can only hurt the state. I would certainly understand them not passing any state incentives to purchase EVs.

The nearest chevy dealer to me wants $38,000 for a Bolt Euv subcompact electric vehicle, so the $7500 federal tax credit hardly makes me want to trade in my old gasoline powered vehicle where I am burning less than 1 gallon per day. I doubt very much that there will be hundreds of consumers in Wyoming that will purchase EVs because of the new tax incentives.

It is possible to build a new power plant that burns coal to create electric energy, but the federally mandated scrubbers make it not cost effective. But Japan is building dozens of new coal plants since there nuclear power industry was decimated by the Fukushima nuclear disaster on March 11, 2011. Obviously coal is not their first choice, but they don't have a lot of alternatives. So never say never.

Wyoming coal from the Powder River Basin is the type of coal best suited for electric generation, and it won't run out for hundreds of years. While I don't imagine CA building coal plants, it could happen in other states if they are facing rolling blackouts. I think this rather neanderthal measure to pokle the finger in the eye of the POTUS can only hurt WY.
January 16th, 2023 at 11:07:14 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This is a terrible idea. Also, it is crony capitalism. Banning a product to protect a segment of the economy is the definition of corruption.

A lot of car companies want to switch to only EVs by 2035 (for personal vehicles). Outlawing the sale of electric vehicles in 2035 would vastly limit purchasing options.
January 16th, 2023 at 11:54:51 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Nah, they can kill two birds with one stone by drastically loosening or even disobeying and ignoring all current air pollution controls.

then Wyonming should welcome EV's: why?

Because Wyoming could position itself as the new source of electricity to power EV's.

Build massive coal, oil, and natural gas fueled power plants, with the infrastructure to export electricity across this fair land.

Sure, there will be increased air pollution but hey, if it was good enough for grandpa it's good enough for me.
January 16th, 2023 at 12:59:47 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Electric car ban won't pass
It's beyond stupid and absurd
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 16th, 2023 at 3:07:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined

It is possible they want someone to challenge it in court and rule it unlawful to ban a kind of propulsion fuel. Then someone can use the ruling as a precedent to challenge California law.

At present there is less than one thousand EVs and PHEVs registered in Wyoming, but there is 169 public charging stations as presumably some tourists have EVs. There ae at least 4 esla Supercharger locations, and a number of Tesla Destinaion chargers.

My guess is most of the EVs for in state residents are in the expensive resorts like Jackson Hole. or Grand Targhee Resort.

Tesla Supercharger in Gilette Wyoming, the energy capital of the world

January 16th, 2023 at 3:11:42 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Stupid and Absurd will be along shortly to post their support for this great idea.

:D
January 16th, 2023 at 4:01:44 PM permalink
terapined
I visited Wyoming in my RV travels.
Spent a week in Sheridan, a week in Thermopolis and a week in Cheyenne.
2 pics above don't convey what I saw
They herd sheep, like old time transportation and have beautiful horse statues
Some of my pics

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 17th, 2023 at 2:10:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154

the statue plaque suggests the riders were wounded or killed ... in the one instance, evidently by Indians up on a cliff or something !!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 17th, 2023 at 3:18:42 AM permalink
terapined

January 17th, 2023 at 5:13:12 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
recently read about 'counting coup' , which was a weird thing back in those days

Quote: wikipedia page
... the most prestigious acts included touching an enemy warrior with a hand, bow, or coup stick and escaping unharmed, and without harming the enemy, except for the enemy's wounded pride
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 1 of 3123>