The Trump Arrest thread

September 27th, 2023 at 2:18:56 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: RonC
I wish Trump would disappear from the stage.

I did read the posts about use restrictions on Maralago but the difference in valuation between $18 million and $300 million is huge. I think that the value is somewhere in the huge gap between the two numbers.

I do know appraisals for tax purposes are often lower than market values here. Not sure how it plays out in Florida or with use restrictions, but the difference between tax appraisals and actual sales figures is as much as 50% here. Not for the new owner, though...they get a huge jump in the tax appraisal in the first tax year of ownership.

The value is probably somewhere in there. The assessor tasked with assessing the property was probably bribed.

That's the bed that was made, so that's the bed he sleeps in on this one.

Still, I don't think they'd go after most people for the same exact fraudulent action. The true value probably is somewhere in the middle of that range, even with the use restrictions in place, but probably on the lower end of the range, accounting for those.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 27th, 2023 at 2:23:41 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
I'm fine with the idea. Just like a traffic cop couldn't possibly stop everyone he sees for speeding, our justice system couldn't process every crime that is detected.

Do high profile people get the impression that they are treated special in many cases? Specially good that is? Probably. "Do you know who I am" is not a bad thing to dismantle once in awhile if you do have a violation.

I prefer our political class doesn't get too comfortable with being able to bend legal rules or break them and not be touched until they're voted out of office. As yet, I don't see a parade of politicians heading to jail, so not too worried about legal abuse.

I'm not generally in favor of special treatment, but this is blatant targeting. It was the same thing with the first Impeachment. Everything they do to Trump further cements his cause in the minds of his supporters and, possibly, gets him new supporters. It's a pretty sorry state of affairs when I legitimately think that someone I hate is being unfairly targeted.

If the goal is ultimately to keep him from winning, this ain't it. The only charges with any real chance of actually accomplishing anything along those lines are the criminal ones.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 27th, 2023 at 3:13:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
I'm not generally in favor of special treatment, but this is blatant targeting. It was the same thing with the first Impeachment. Everything they do to Trump further cements his cause in the minds of his supporters and, possibly, gets him new supporters. It's a pretty sorry state of affairs when I legitimately think that someone I hate is being unfairly targeted.

If the goal is ultimately to keep him from winning, this ain't it. The only charges with any real chance of actually accomplishing anything along those lines are the criminal ones.

I can't cry for people who people who say, "no one hardly ever gets prosecuted for this."

That's not an excuse to be doing something wrong.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 27th, 2023 at 3:16:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
For me, I say, think real hard if you're going to do something. Even if the risk is low, and odds are in your favor, don't be crying that you didn't know there was some risk. (unless you didn't) if you do get caught.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 27th, 2023 at 3:25:45 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Why are we focusing just on MAL? There;s much more to the judge's decision than just that misvaluation. To say the case should not have been brought due to a dispute about MAL's value ignores the other alleged misvaluations. People are focusing on the finger pointing to the Moon and not the Moon itself.
September 27th, 2023 at 3:47:11 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

This is assbackwards for the government. .Gov should be pissed if it is undervalued and they are missing out on property tax. The only ones who should be concerned about an overvaluation are his lenders. The lenders should be the ones taking him to court if they are concerned.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 27th, 2023 at 5:53:41 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Gotta think Donny will yank out and remove his golden toilet seat from his posh digs in Trump tower before the tax man cometh.

Oh, but this is lovely...hit the orange oaf where it hurts: his pocket book and derivatively his ego.
September 28th, 2023 at 7:35:11 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: kenarman
This is assbackwards for the government. .Gov should be pissed if it is undervalued and they are missing out on property tax. The only ones who should be concerned about an overvaluation are his lenders. The lenders should be the ones taking him to court if they are concerned.

In theory, that would be true. Would you really put it past Trump to bribe a public official? It didn't even necessarily need to be money. Maybe he talked Ivanka into blowing the guy so he could save a few bucks on the property tax. He'd probably only do so if he got to watch.
September 28th, 2023 at 7:49:38 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: GenoDRPh
Why are we focusing just on MAL? There;s much more to the judge's decision than just that misvaluation. To say the case should not have been brought due to a dispute about MAL's value ignores the other alleged misvaluations. People are focusing on the finger pointing to the Moon and not the Moon itself.

I don't know; MAL was what was being specifically discussed. I didn't actually read about the rest of the properties in the decision because they were not being discussed. I already stipulated that I believe the MAL thing (and probably others) constitute fraud, to the letter of the law, but also that they wouldn't go after most people for something like this.

The bottom line is everyone is throwing everything they can at Trump to try to harm him, but most importantly, to try to harm him in the public's mind. While they're doing a good job getting the people on the Far Left horny, these actions are actually making some Independents more sympathetic to Trump and are REALLY galvanizing his supporters. In other words, it might be starting to backfire.

It's basically the same thing as Roe v. Wade, except this isn't public policy.

What the Left should really have done was simply to let the BS Election Fraud claims and January 6th stand on their own. Trump's Election prospects in 2024 would have been toast. But, it wasn't good enough. Nothing ever is. The Left had to collectively try to dunk---just like Hillary's campaign tried to dunk when they inexplicably started spending money in Arizona and Texas, late in the cycle.

Besides that, can you tell me anything Biden has done that has benefitted the people? From where I sit, it looks like all systems mostly operating as normal, so everything is fine with me. Of course, all systems were normal until Covid, with Trump, but both Trump and Democrat states handled Covid extremely poorly in their own unique ways. Hence, where we are now vis-a-vis inflation...which isn't really Biden's fault personally and nor is there very much he could actually do about it.

But, Democrats are ineffective. It's been quite some time since any of the things that they are supposedly, 'Fighting for,' that would materially benefit the people, have happened. ObamaCare is just six of one and a half dozen of the other, imo. It was ridiculous when you had to pay a fine if you weren't insured, so I'm glad that was declared Unconstitutional. Obergefell was the last big win...and that was social policy, which the Democrats are generally pretty good at, but it was also SCOTUS, so it's not as if a Democratic Congress actually accomplished anything. Democratic congresses rarely do.

For one thing, the Democrats could have protected abortion rights when Obama had both bodies of Congress, but they didn't do it. They always wanted the threat of Roe being overturned because it gives them a majority-winning issue to campaign on.

So, you'll excuse me not paying attention to the Moon on this one, but it's not as if our elected representatives ever do.
September 28th, 2023 at 8:03:03 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I don't know; MAL was what was being specifically discussed. I didn't actually read about the rest of the properties in the decision because they were not being discussed. I already stipulated that I believe the MAL thing (and probably others) constitute fraud, to the letter of the law, but also that they wouldn't go after most people for something like this.

The bottom line is everyone is throwing everything they can at Trump to try to harm him, but most importantly, to try to harm him in the public's mind. While they're doing a good job getting the people on the Far Left horny, these actions are actually making some Independents more sympathetic to Trump and are REALLY galvanizing his supporters. In other words, it might be starting to backfire.

It's basically the same thing as Roe v. Wade, except this isn't public policy.

What the Left should really have done was simply to let the BS Election Fraud claims and January 6th stand on their own. Trump's Election prospects in 2024 would have been toast. But, it wasn't good enough. Nothing ever is. The Left had to collectively tried to dunk---just like Hillary's campaign tried to dunk when they inexplicably started spending money in Arizona and Texas, late in the cycle.

Besides that, can you tell me anything Biden has done that has benefitted the people? From where I sit, it looks like all systems mostly operating as normal, so everything is fine with me. Of course, all systems were normal until Covid, with Trump, but both Trump and Democrat states handled Covid extremely poorly in their own unique ways. Hence, where we are now vis-a-vis inflation...which isn't really Biden's fault personally and nor is there very much he could actually do about it.

But, Democrats are ineffective. It's been quite some time since any of the things that they are supposedly, 'Fighting for,' that would materially benefit the people, have happened. ObamaCare is just six of one and a half dozen of the other, imo. It was ridiculous when you had to pay a fine if you weren't insured, so I'm glad that was declared Unconstitutional. Obergefell was the last big win...and that was social policy, which the Democrats are generally pretty good at, but it was also SCOTUS, so it's not as if a Democratic Congress actually accomplished anything. Democratic congresses rarely do.

For one thing, the Democrats could have protected abortion rights when Obama had both bodies of Congress, but they didn't do it. They always wanted the threat of Roe being overturned because it gives them a majority-winning issue to campaign on.

So, you'll excuse me not paying attention to the Moon on this one, but it's not as if our elected representatives ever do.

I rarely have the attention span to read your full posts anymore, but I’m glad I read this one. Agree with your points. The Democrats have to realize that the way they are governing has turned off MORE than half the country. Even a guy like Mission who despises Trump…. Even a guy like me who despises Trump….
You don’t think there are a bunch of NYC dwellers who would say …. Trump is a criminal, but when he was a president we didn’t have 100,000 migrants roaming our streets inhabiting our hotels on my dime? Not enough for any Republican to win NY…. But all I hear the Dems saying policy wise that resonates with most is Abortion, Abortion, Abortion…!!