In the News II

August 11th, 2023 at 11:55:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
News was talking about the historic banyan tree which looks like it might have survived the Maui fire which reminded me of the one at Thomas Edison's Winter home in my parent's hometown, which is second largest in the world has roots that go out 400ft and covers an acre.

Firestone gave it to Edison in 1925 so it's almost 100 years old now. First thing I remember about it is the size of its pods, or gourds. I think they are big enough to seriously injure or kill someone if they fell on your head.

The largest banyan tree is in India. It covers 4.67 acres according to google.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 11th, 2023 at 12:36:33 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: ams288
lol

Yes - lots of poor people voted for Donny in 2016 & 2020. Sacrificing their standard of living in exchange for more tax cuts for rich crooks.

Now we have a housing crisis that throws citizens out on the street because they can't afford a roof over their head. In the meantime the government pays for accommodations and everything else for the illegal immigrants. It will take years for the housing market to stabilize, we can't build housing fast enough. This crisis is fundamentally changing society and not for the good. You really should get the blinders off.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 11th, 2023 at 12:47:16 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
Now we have a housing crisis that throws citizens out on the street because they can't afford a roof over their head. In the meantime the government pays for accommodations and everything else for the illegal immigrants. It will take years for the housing market to stabilize, we can't build housing fast enough. This crisis is fundamentally changing society and not for the good. You really should get the blinders off.

One thing I do know is that the “housing crisis” has absolutely nothing to do with illegal immigration. Anyone who believes that is truly dumb.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 11th, 2023 at 1:03:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
`

I believe when I was talking to Duffman about a living wage, he said people should double or triple up and share the rent. So, I'm sure that's the conservative answer you need to go with.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 11th, 2023 at 1:15:26 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
One thing I do know is that the “housing crisis” has absolutely nothing to do with illegal immigration. Anyone who believes that is truly dumb.

I know math is not your strong suit but is a pretty simple equation. 200,000 crossing the southern border per month X 12 months per year = 2.4 million

2.4 million new residents just from that entry point, although some of these are families but many are a single person wanting to get established and bring the family later. Add the other borders and planes as points of entry. Add the 1/2 million or so increase from the current residents. Do you think 1.5 million housing units a year being built will handle everyone?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 11th, 2023 at 1:19:09 PM permalink
ams288
I know math is not your strong suit but is a pretty simple equation. 200,000 crossing the southern border per month X 12 months per year = 2.4 million

2.4 million new residents just from that entry point, although some of these are families but many are a single person wanting to get established and bring the family later. Add the other borders and planes as points of entry. Add the 1/2 million or so increase from the current residents. Do you think 1.5 million housing units a year being built will handle everyone?

Just going to reiterate my original statement with some bolding for emphasis:

August 11th, 2023 at 1:47:39 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
We have a zone everything SFR 2000 square foot minimum when people aren’t having kids problem. The housing we build has little to nothing to do with need. People largely aren’t allowed to purchase or build housing that suits their needs if they wanted to in anything built in the last 30 or so years.

The death rattle of the Industrial age, commercial real estate, largely needs to be converted to mixed use or residential as well.
August 11th, 2023 at 5:04:24 PM permalink
Tanko
lol

Yes - lots of poor people voted for Donny in 2016 & 2020. Sacrificing their standard of living in exchange for more tax cuts for rich crooks.

In 2019 alone, their real household income grew at a record rate to a record high, and 4.1 million of them were lifted out of poverty.

By 2019, Trump got the poverty rate down to 10.5%. Lowest since the Census Bureau began reporting on it 60 years earlier.

By 2022, the US poverty rate increased to 12.8%. Reached 14.7% that year.

No data available for 2023. Census Bureau not reporting rate past 2022.

From the article:

'First, the Census Bureau reported that real median household income grew to $68,703 in 2019, an impressive 6.8% increase over 2018. It was the largest one-year increase in median income on record going back to 1967. It was also 45 percent more growth in a single year ($4,379) than Obama/Biden produced in their entire 8 years in office ($3,021).'

'While the overall growth rate was 6.8%, real median income grew by an even greater 7.9% for Black Americans, 7.1% for Hispanic Americans, and 10.6% for Asian Americans. All record highs as were the new income levels for each of these groups.'

'As for talking points about how the Trump tax cuts benefitted only the rich, well, they were false. As incomes grew in 2019, the poverty rate plummeted 1.3 percentage points to a 60 year low of 10.5%. This was the largest reduction in poverty in over 50 years. It lifted over 4.1 million people out of poverty, the largest yearly decrease since 1966. Just for comparison purposes, over the Obama/Biden era, the number of people living in poverty increased by 787,000.'
August 11th, 2023 at 5:58:43 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: Tanko
In 2019 alone, their real household income grew at a record rate to a record high, and 4.1 million of them were lifted out of poverty.

By 2019, Trump got the poverty rate down to 10.5%. Lowest since the Census Bureau began reporting on it 60 years earlier.

By 2022, the US poverty rate increased to 12.8%. Reached 14.7% that year.

No data available for 2023. Census Bureau not reporting rate past 2022.

From the article:

'First, the Census Bureau reported that real median household income grew to $68,703 in 2019, an impressive 6.8% increase over 2018. It was the largest one-year increase in median income on record going back to 1967. It was also 45 percent more growth in a single year ($4,379) than Obama/Biden produced in their entire 8 years in office ($3,021).'

'While the overall growth rate was 6.8%, real median income grew by an even greater 7.9% for Black Americans, 7.1% for Hispanic Americans, and 10.6% for Asian Americans. All record highs as were the new income levels for each of these groups.'

'As for talking points about how the Trump tax cuts benefitted only the rich, well, they were false. As incomes grew in 2019, the poverty rate plummeted 1.3 percentage points to a 60 year low of 10.5%. This was the largest reduction in poverty in over 50 years. It lifted over 4.1 million people out of poverty, the largest yearly decrease since 1966. Just for comparison purposes, over the Obama/Biden era, the number of people living in poverty increased by 787,000.'

Imagine if Donny didn’t bungle his Covid response so badly: you wouldn’t have to keep pretending his presidency ended in 2019 when everything was rosy!
August 12th, 2023 at 3:13:49 AM permalink
Tanko
Imagine if Donny didn’t bungle his Covid response so badly: you wouldn’t have to keep pretending his presidency ended in 2019 when everything was rosy!

No one, especially not Biden or any other Democrat would have responded as quickly and effectively as Trump.

Trump banned travel to and from China, when there were only six cases in th US, and banned European travel six weeks later.

The dems and their open border policy would have had millions of illegals pouring into the country.

In the three months before anyone even heard of Covid, more than three million travelers had already passed through New York airports, unknowingly seeding the country with the virus.

Under Trump, the Covid vaccines were developed in ten months, saving millions of lives. It takes five to ten years to develop a vaccine.

Incidentally, although still very low, daily deaths due to Covid in the US are up 181% over the past month.

TB and polio are also on the rise. Thank Biden and his open borders for that. Half the Biden illegals in NYC are not vaccinated for polio.