In the News II

August 30th, 2023 at 6:57:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: ams288
Should we feel sympathy for the people who choose to live in an area that goes through this exact same thing every year?
well, it's tough on them but I've got an idea

there's about 10,000,000 million homes in FL and According to Best Places Florida is affected by a tropical storm or hurricane about once every 3 yrs [google search], so what they could do is spread out the risk so that if in a big storm many thousands of homes got damaged the still nearly 10 million other homes could pay for the damages with the cost all spread out, even if it was yearly event. To pay for the administrative costs of that, you could have private companies do that and make profit to be worth their while. People moving to FL could decide if they liked the cost of joining the risk pool or not

Of course the last thing in the world you'd want is to allow litigious minded people much leverage, or the government to step in to artificially lower costs by whim, and ruin everything

Oh, wait, you're telling me this is not a new idea and in fact those ...... ???
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 30th, 2023 at 7:03:38 AM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
Quote: odiousgambit

there's about 10,000,000 million homes in FL and According to Best Places Florida is affected by a tropical storm or hurricane about once every 3 yrs [google search], so what they could do is spread out the risk so that if in a big storm many thousands of homes got damaged the still nearly 10 million other homes could pay for the damages with the cost all spread out, even if it was yearly event. To pay for the administrative costs of that, you could have private companies do that and make profit to be worth their while. People moving to FL could decide if they liked the cost of joining the risk pool or not

Of course the last thing in the world you'd want is to allow litigious minded people much leverage, or the government to step in to artificially lower costs by whim, and ruin everything

In Miami, we've been extremely lucky. The last time we got hit REALLY HARD and REALLY SERIOUSLY by a Hurricane was Hurricane Irene in 2017 , 6 years ago.
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
August 30th, 2023 at 7:42:22 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Riverjordan

In Miami, we've been extremely lucky. The last time we got hit REALLY HARD and REALLY SERIOUSLY by a Hurricane was Hurricane Irene in 2017 , 6 years ago.

I’m flying to Miami on Friday so keep the bad weather away for me.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 30th, 2023 at 7:56:26 AM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
Quote: Riverjordan

I’m flying to Miami on Friday so keep the bad weather away for me.

😀🤭 You should be safe, Idilia is FAR away from Miami and the tropical systems swimming in the Atlantic Ocean will take about a week if it comes to Florida. 😀 We in Florida are actually LUCKY when it comes to Hurricanes. Hurricanes take about a week from when they start off as a Tropical wave to being a full blown Hurricane in Florida, plenty of time to put up boarding supplies, get gas, food,water, generators, flashlight, batteries, close Businesses, toilet paper, make shelter plans,portable phone chargers, napkins, soap, etc. 😀 Other States aren't so lucky with natural disasters like say California with sudden earthquakes, or Kansas with Tornados that suddenly barrel through.
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
August 30th, 2023 at 9:04:17 AM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
it's hitting now

from the article of 40 minutes ago:

"Hurrican Idalia is now thrashing much of northern Florida and South Georgia with winds up to 90 mph, dumping heavy rain and hurling seawater into flooded cities as its impacts a 250-mile swath of the Southeast.

Several major bridges connecting islands to the mainland are now inaccessible as Idalia’s violent trek across Florida also threatens coastal Georgia and South Carolina with intense flooding, ferocious winds and tornadoes.

We’re effectively cut off from the world now,” Bobbit said. “It’s going to get a lot worse, and I’m really fearful for what we’re going to find in some of the low-lying areas and some of our older, more infirm citizens today.”

Storm surge accounts for about half of all hurricane-related deaths, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said.

Meanwhile, a tornado watch is in place for nearly 12 million people across central and northern Florida and southeast Georgia until 3 p.m. Wednesday.

And destruction is possible far behind Idalia’s forecast cone, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday morning. At least 11 tornado warnings already had been issued, with more possible – even in places “way outside the cone that you see on your TV screens,” he said."

the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
August 30th, 2023 at 12:04:03 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Mitch McConnell had another mini stroke incident today where he stopped speaking during a news conference.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/30/politics/mitch-mcconnell/index.html?utm_content=2023-08-30T17%3A49%3A52&utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twcnnbrk
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 30th, 2023 at 12:09:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Mitch McConnell had another mini stroke incident today where he stopped speaking during a news conference.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/30/politics/mitch-mcconnell/index.html?utm_content=2023-08-30T17%3A49%3A52&utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twcnnbrk

We know Biden exercises on that bike. Not sure if Mitch does anything. You can't just fix everything with meds.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 30th, 2023 at 12:57:15 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine

We know Biden exercises on that bike. Not sure if Mitch does anything. You can't just fix everything with meds.

Some people are too old and feeble of body and/or mind to be in office. I feel for all of them, but there is a time to move along.

There are some older folks who are sharp as heck but they are few and far between. I can't think of many in government right now that are on top, or at least not in obvious decline, of their game.
August 30th, 2023 at 2:54:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
Quote: rxwine

Some people are too old and feeble of body and/or mind to be in office. I feel for all of them, but there is a time to move along.

There are some older folks who are sharp as heck but they are few and far between. I can't think of many in government right now that are on top, or at least not in obvious decline, of their game.

4 or 6 years is a long time for really old and really young.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 30th, 2023 at 2:57:17 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Biden is the most tip top shape 80 year old president this country has ever had.