In the News II

November 29th, 2023 at 3:33:46 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Tanko
"Boom in weight-loss drugs to drive up US employers' medical costs in 2024"

The Inflation Reduction Act caps individual annual prescription out of pocket costs at $2,000, and shifts the burden of costs above that to the insurers. Forcing the insurers to raise premiums.

'Retirees Face Steep Hikes In Prescription Premiums In 2024'

'Retired Americans enrolled in Medicare's Part D prescription coverage could see their premiums increase by 42-57 percent in 2024'

'... the HealthView analysis shows 2024 increases could outpace the average retiree's Social Security cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) by 70 percent.
November 29th, 2023 at 9:26:11 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: odiousgambit
true enough

I'm disturbed when the police kill an unarmed person, even in those cases where there is an argument it was justified. Even an incident where a mentally disturbed man threatening people with a knife was killed, which briefly made the news some time ago, bothered me. If I was on a jury where such a case was being tried to convict the cops of unjustified homocide, I'd go with 'not guilty'. If I was the police chief, though, I'd review police procedures and really urge training in ways to disarm a person like that ... certainly very do-able.

Yeah, I know, Mission would say "no, shoot him dead" the mentally ill cost too much to treat LOL

But what disturbs me the most is the Jacobins with influence who cheer on the riots that take place, claiming justification because the police are going around rampantly killing Blacks willy-nilly. And you know, if you re-polled the same people who think it's 10,000+ per year after showing them it's only 12, some justified no doubt as you point out, many would still claim it's 10,000+ ... the Narrative must be preserved!

I would just say that he has a knife, regardless of his mental state. If he has a knife (and is brandishing it, I'd assume, for this example) and the cops have guns, then why should the cops take any chances on that one? Aim for the center of the body and make sure to fire twice.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 29th, 2023 at 11:18:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
I would just say that he has a knife, regardless of his mental state. If he has a knife (and is brandishing it, I'd assume, for this example) and the cops have guns, then why should the cops take any chances on that one? Aim for the center of the body and make sure to fire twice.

I'd prefer cops had one of those baseball throwing machines mounted on the hood, for people like that on the street. Just pummel them into submission.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 29th, 2023 at 11:22:24 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I was right!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 29th, 2023 at 11:24:53 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
I'd prefer cops had one of those baseball throwing machines mounted on the hood, for people like that on the street. Just pummel them into submission.

Well, if you prefer to solve the problem of that person temporarily, rather than permanently, I guess that's fine.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 29th, 2023 at 11:54:55 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Well, if you prefer to solve the problem of that person temporarily, rather than permanently, I guess that's fine.

Well, I am a “bleeding heart liberal” and with enough baseballs to the chest, the suspect will have a bleeding heart.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 29th, 2023 at 12:04:53 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Well, I am a “bleeding heart liberal” and with enough baseballs to the chest, the suspect will have a bleeding heart.

Haha! Nice.
November 29th, 2023 at 1:58:03 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
The main difference I see with Floyd is that he had surrendered and was clearly defeated. He said that he couldn't breathe and Chauvin stayed in place with his knee on Floyd's neck for some number of minutes that I don't remember.

Not only did the police have other options, but they had other options that would have placed them at no additional risk of injury to themselves whatsoever.

Someone brandishing a knife who seems intent on using it is totally different. From my perspective, demanding that the officers do anything other than shoot that person (after they have given a verbal warning that has gone unheeded) increases the risk that they are taking of themselves being injured. If a cop chooses to take that additional risk to remedy the situation without shooting that person, then I think that's fine, but I don't know we should demand officers take any greater risk to themselves than absolutely necessary in a situation like that.
November 29th, 2023 at 2:17:52 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The main difference I see with Floyd is that he had surrendered and was clearly defeated. He said that he couldn't breathe and Chauvin stayed in place with his knee on Floyd's neck for some number of minutes that I don't remember.

Not only did the police have other options, but they had other options that would have placed them at no additional risk of injury to themselves whatsoever.

Someone brandishing a knife who seems intent on using it is totally different. From my perspective, demanding that the officers do anything other than shoot that person (after they have given a verbal warning that has gone unheeded) increases the risk that they are taking of themselves being injured. If a cop chooses to take that additional risk to remedy the situation without shooting that person, then I think that's fine, but I don't know we should demand officers take any greater risk to themselves than absolutely necessary in a situation like that.
without special training, options are limited. They had the option to taser the guy, to see if that would work in the incident I saw. He was approaching them slowly like the Frankenstein monster as I remember, not rushing them with the knife. They just shot him after telling him to drop the knife.

Again, bear in mind I'd be the wrong guy for the prosecution in a jury if anybody was trying to charge the cops with a crime ...
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 29th, 2023 at 2:23:17 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: odiousgambit
without special training, options are limited. They had the option to taser the guy, to see if that would work in the incident I saw. He was approaching them slowly like the Frankenstein monster as I remember, not rushing them with the knife. They just shot him after telling him to drop the knife.

Again, bear in mind I'd be the wrong guy for the prosecution in a jury if anybody was trying to charge the cops with a crime ...

Generally, I'd be the wrong guy for the prosecution in just about any jury.

I guess I'd just say I wouldn't have a problem with them trying to Taze him first, but nor do I have a problem with them just capping his @$$. Even if an extremely compelling case can be made that they should have tried to neutralize him prior to shooting him, then I'd see that as something that should be handled within the department and not necessarily a criminal offense against the cop who shot the guy.