In the News II

January 15th, 2024 at 7:59:58 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
To be fair I believe Bush was the last President to say the U.S. would mount a complete defense if China invades Taiwan.
Though, to also be fair after 9/11 if I recall his opinion shifted (not 100% on this, but based on the above posts this seems to make sense with this recalled timeline.)

Lots of Presidents support Taiwan in theory, but are not willing to commit to a war with China.
January 15th, 2024 at 8:32:54 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: Gandler
To be fair I believe Bush was the last President to say the U.S. would mount a complete defense if China invades Taiwan.
Though, to also be fair after 9/11 if I recall his opinion shifted (not 100% on this, but based on the above posts this seems to make sense with this recalled timeline.)

Lots of Presidents support Taiwan in theory, but are not willing to commit to a war with China.

:)

-------------------

Mandela Effect Examples, Origins, and Explanations

How masses of people can have the same false memory

Updated on January 03, 2024
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-the-mandela-effect-4589394

-------------------
January 15th, 2024 at 9:57:05 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: DoubleGold
:)

-------------------

Mandela Effect Examples, Origins, and Explanations

How masses of people can have the same false memory

Updated on January 03, 2024
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-the-mandela-effect-4589394

-------------------

Did Bush not say this?
January 15th, 2024 at 10:10:11 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Did Bush not say this?

I don't know, just pointing out a pattern.

I picked up on your "timeline" word.

If you look down the article link, it refers to different timelines (quantum physics).

See Alternate Realities.
January 15th, 2024 at 10:31:42 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Here's an example:

-------------------

MAN IS LIVING IN 2027 & HUMAN RACE IS GONE! (VIDEO PROOF)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvsCisbzT9s

--------------------
January 15th, 2024 at 12:59:46 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: DoubleGold
I don't know, just pointing out a pattern.

I picked up on your "timeline" word.

If you look down the article link, it refers to different timelines (quantum physics).

See Alternate Realities.

How does a comment about President Bush expressing a military defensive agreement lead into an abstract article on Mandala Effect symbolizing different timelines and simulations? Somebody just had a long thread on WOV about the same issue, why are you guys so interested in this? And, how on earth did my comment trigger this rabbit hole?

My timeline comment was a about pre and post 9/11, and how his views may have shifted. Nothing to do with quantum simulations or whatever.
January 15th, 2024 at 1:29:56 PM permalink
DoubleGold
How does a comment about President Bush expressing a military defensive agreement lead into an abstract article on Mandala Effect symbolizing different timelines and simulations? Somebody just had a long thread on WOV about the same issue, why are you guys so interested in this? And, how on earth did my comment trigger this rabbit hole?

My timeline comment was a about pre and post 9/11, and how his views may have shifted. Nothing to do with quantum simulations or whatever.

You wrote the words "shift" and "timeline".

I posted examples of similar logic.

The most extreme case might be quantum mechanics (three dimensions of time relative to space) and the least might be the man Mandela dying (and other similar examples I provided).

Folks thought Mandela died in prison in the 1980s when he didn't.

The group that thought he died in prison for some strange reason were wrong.

There were many folks that thought that.

The article I posted gave some reasons why something like this could have happened.

This is how it started.

A group of folks discussing about an event (like what is being discussed in this thread) and can't reach a consensus (so far) to what "really" happened.

From the same link:

-----------------
Origins of the Mandela Effect

The term "Mandela Effect" was first coined in 2009 by Fiona Broome when she created a website to detail her observance of the phenomenon. Broome was at a conference talking with other people about how she remembered the tragedy of former South African president Nelson Mandela's death in a South African prison in the 1980s.

However, Nelson Mandela did not die in the 1980s in a prison—he passed away in 2013. As Broome began to talk to other people about her memories, she learned that she was not alone. Others remembered seeing news coverage of his death as well as a speech by his widow.

Broome was shocked that such a large mass of people could remember the same identical event in such detail when it never happened. Encouraged by her book publisher, she began her website to discuss what she called the Mandela Effect and other incidents like it.
------------------
January 15th, 2024 at 1:39:32 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I can not imagine we would go to a full out war with ground forces to protect Taiwan, other than some special ops with Delta and Seals.. I do think we would use air and sea assets to defend them. The best thing we can do is arm them now so they can defend themselves.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 15th, 2024 at 2:10:04 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
I feel like I haven’t known what was going on for the past few decades! I always thought we considered Taiwan an independent nation. If you are born in Taiwan, what does your passport say?

If you asked this simple question, what would the answer have been?

Does the USA recognize Taiwan as a country independent of the PRC?

how would have Bush Jr., Obama, Trump, and Biden answer during their terms?

How would DeSantis or Haley answer?

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

I don’t have any idea what the beef is between China and Taiwan and I COULDN’T CARE LESS.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 15th, 2024 at 3:50:04 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: DRich
I can not imagine we would go to a full out war with ground forces to protect Taiwan, other than some special ops with Delta and Seals.. I do think we would use air and sea assets to defend them. The best thing we can do is arm them now so they can defend themselves.

And, it is worth noting, China (and it's military in particular,) has evolved significantly in the last 20 or so years. China in 2024, is very different than China in 2001. Especially in regards to their Navy, America could probably easily defend an island from China in 2001 indefinitely. Not impossible now, but it would be much less one-sided (of course if they go nuclear, all bets are off in either time period, but hopefully it would not come to that.)