Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Quote: terapined
Quote: Tanko
Now NYC is housing them in school gyms.

Cool.
Welcome to America
It's not that bad according to my Tanko meter
If you are staying, the ol Tanko meter says NYC still a fabulous place to live :-)

Under that criteria you must love DeSantis' policies you wintered in FLorida and you stayed in the US when Trump was in power, what a great country it was then. You must have loved it.

I'm out of Florida and probably never go back again
How's that
Tanko loves living in NYC
It's a great place to live according to the Tanko meter
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 12th, 2023 at 6:43:42 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
These blue sanctuary states are in trouble.

They've been getting federal government money (red tax-payers) disguised as other forms to balance their budgets.

Then they spend it like they're trillionaires.

But rest assured, they'll get bailed-out again, and they'll do it in stealth mode.

--------------------------------

California's Deficit Deepens To $32 Billion (14-Year-High)... And That's Before Reparations

FRIDAY, MAY 12, 2023
The expected shortfall is $9.5 billion worse than a $22.5 billion January estimate, according to figures released today, and will be the biggest deficit since 2010...
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/californias-deficit-deepens-32-billion

--------------------------------
May 12th, 2023 at 6:45:40 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: Mission146
That's approximately 500,000 more than I care about; I don't live in NYC and don't care what they do or who lives there.

Actually, lots of restaurants hiring around me. Perhaps they could send us a few buses' worth.

It doesn't bother me until they get federal tax-payer funding to make their budgets.
May 12th, 2023 at 6:56:49 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: AZDuffman
The people there voted for it so hopefully they are enjoying the influx.

It'll likely double quickly.

Maybe triple.

If you were an immigrant from communist Venezuela, wouldn't you go to the most far left city in the USA to get free stuff that grows on trees?
May 13th, 2023 at 8:17:32 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: DoubleGold
I just read there were about 500,000 undocumented illegal persons in NYC.

The estimate in 2018 was 560,000. Has to be much higher than that today.
May 13th, 2023 at 8:24:40 AM permalink
Tanko
Quote: AZDuffman
The people there voted for it so hopefully they are enjoying the influx.

Just like they did in Arizona.

'Arizona border city releases HUNDREDS of unprocessed migrants onto streets of Yuma as authorities struggle with surge in arrivals: Mayor calls on population to stay calm after end of Title 42'
May 13th, 2023 at 8:26:18 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: Tanko
The estimate in 2018 was 560,000. Has to be much higher than that today.

100,000 could be a strain.
May 13th, 2023 at 9:56:32 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqNEo9_IXP8

So, I am a big fan of scam baiting videos. And, I watched the above last night. Long video summarized= scam where a Chinese Man illegally enters country to pick up a large amount of cash.

They confront him in a hotel room and call the police. The police let him walk out (despite admitting to the fraud and being in the country illegally), and the police keep saying "it is a Sancturary city". Even the Chinese scammer seems shocked that he can just walk (my guess is the Chinese police would have a different response). And, the police go on to say how they let an illegal walk who was charged with a double homicide because it is a sanctuary city (about 1:10 of the video).

If this is what conservatives are outraged about, I do not blame them. My respect for sanctuary cities is certainly going down. This is not chasing down illegals for immigration violations (which you can argue if local police should be involved in), this is letting illegals walk from major crimes because it is too politically bothersome to book them. This is bad for law and order.
May 13th, 2023 at 11:03:16 AM permalink
DoubleGold
It's the mentality of spending before earning.

--------------------------

New York, San Francisco Office Buildings Are Absolute Ghost Towns

MAY 13, 2023
Things are so bad, in fact, that 26 Empire State Buildings could fit into New York City's empty office space, as occupancy in the city is hovering around 50% of prepandemic levels, according to the chair of Harvard Economics Department, Edward Glaeser and MIT's Carlo Ratti.
https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/new-york-san-francisco-office-buildings-are-absolute-ghost-towns

---------------------------
May 13th, 2023 at 1:08:18 PM permalink
Tanko
Guiliani started the national sanctuary city mess in 1994. It was initially intended to protect undocumented witnesses and undocumented crime victims from being reported to immigration services. Then he went overboard with it, and other cities quickly followed.

'Rudy Giuliani fought federal government to defend undocumented immigrants as NYC mayor'

'Homeless vets are being booted from NY hotels to make room for migrants: advocates'
Page 2 of 3<123>