Google: People Also Ask

January 27th, 2024 at 5:41:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Oh, and I don't like multiple language manuals, but oh well

what's worse though is when they don't make a different manual for each version! You will start reading about how to do something and realize your model doesn't have that! I hate that! what is so hard about a different, pertinent manual for each model!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 27th, 2024 at 5:48:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
I'm having a problem with user manuals getting worse and worse these days. Sometimes there isn't one at all, you can't find it online either ... it wasn't just left out of the box. Good example: I bought a tire pump that runs on electricity from your car or house either one, nice. But for a manual it had a slip of paper with minimal instruction, written in bad english. I thought it was defective and almost took it back because I would have to keep pressing the buttons to get it to work, and I would smack it and stuff like that. Finally I realized you had to wait until the setting indicator quit flashing... this not mentioned in the instructions at all

this problem is worsening IMO and I find not much about it at all online, just things like this

>>>

What makes a bad user manual?

Bad user manuals are hard to read. You really need to put some effort to understand all the terms and break down long complex sentences. Terms are not explained, text contains just a few links/references. Good user manuals are checked with readability score tools
__

this came up unquoted

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/user-manuals-are-mostly-gone-mdash-which-is-both-good-and-bad/

I have Bing Ai as part of my browser. Here's what I've done. Say "name of a product" and ask for user instructions. Instant user instructions or summary if you wish for relevant info. Or just how to do a certain thing. Also, I've done things like asked for top 15 tips for using a product, = numbered tips. Plus it links all the websites it got its information from.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 27th, 2024 at 6:13:54 AM permalink
odiousgambit
sometimes the best stuff is from user groups, you are right
January 28th, 2024 at 6:34:40 AM permalink
odiousgambit
if we switch to wind and solar maybe we can cancel the upcoming Federal program to encourage the homeless to try assisted suicide. Clearly we will have to just start killing them if it keeps going like this

>>>

What is the carbon footprint of the homeless?

In 2008, three years after BP's carbon footprint campaign, an MIT study found that while the average American's annual carbon emissions were 20 metric tons, the average emissions among the homeless, living in shelters and eating from soup kitchens, were calculated at 8.5 tons of CO2 emissions annually
January 28th, 2024 at 6:48:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Don't you have that backwards? Shouldn't we encourage more people to be homeless? (I see the possible extrapolated jokes here, so you don't have to point them out)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 28th, 2024 at 6:51:01 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Plan B
January 28th, 2024 at 8:00:36 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
if we switch to wind and solar maybe we can cancel the upcoming Federal program to encourage the homeless to try assisted suicide. Clearly we will have to just start killing them if it keeps going like this

>>>

In 2008, three years after BP's carbon footprint campaign, an MIT study found that while the average American's annual carbon emissions were 20 metric tons, the average emissions among the homeless, living in shelters and eating from soup kitchens, were calculated at 8.5 tons of CO2 emissions annually

The homeless are doing a pretty good job of killing themselves already. 106,000 drug OD deaths in the US last year. Yes I know that a significant number of these deaths are not street people.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 28th, 2024 at 8:20:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Right after making my "do it yourself" post, I started wondering if you could pull even larger dents out of cars with a proper amount of suction. Sure would be cheaper and easier than replacing whole panels. That post was about using an explosive to push out the sides of something to its maximum uncreased size.
January 29th, 2024 at 8:06:01 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

>>>

MIT does some pretty useless shizz sometimes, but it was probably a student.

People who generally sleep communally (when they sleep indoors at all), don't use power/water in the running of their own house, and also, generally don't drive would have a lower carbon footprint---who would have guessed that?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 29th, 2024 at 8:31:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
well, I think that the point is no matter what you try to cut out, just eating and drinking and wearing clothes, plus [whatever], means tons of carbon

actually I find this 'metric tons' thing all over the place and am sick of it. Definitely intended to produce feelings of guilt over just living and breathing