Cash In the Mail from the Census Bearea

Page 1 of 41234>
November 7th, 2023 at 4:43:52 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Dear internet friends,

So I arrived home tonight with a single letter in my mailbox. Some letter from the Census Beaurea , I almost threw it out by default (luckily I did not -or perhaps unluckily depending on the consensus here-) anyway I opened it, and inside were two items, a crisp 20 USD bill and a letter in Spanish.

The letter has the official census logo, all websites are legit .gov sites. And, the contact email is a verified census agent.

What is going on? Did anyone else get this letter? I just did a quick google and cannot find anything about 20 dollars from the census. And, why are they sending the letter in Spanish about the payment (I have zero idea what it says.) And, yes it is cash (not a check) which is highly suspicious in itself (a literal 20 dollar bill.)

And, nobody I asked locally has experienced this either yet. I am assuming this is some kind of scam, but to what end I do not know, because all the links and codes seem legit, the cash seems real, and if they are trying to get my confidence I do not speak Spanish so they are failing? I cannot find any legit info, and obviously it is too late to call the census bearea, any advice, is this some weird program for participating in the last census (and they assume I speak Spanish for some reason?) or is this a scam (which is my gut feeling when I receive literal cash in the mail?)

Also, for what it is worth, I live alone in a traditional single family house that I own, and the letter is addressed with my name and address (I only say this to show there is no way it was intended for somebody else.)

Anyway, I hope everyone else is having a less confusing night!
November 7th, 2023 at 4:51:38 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Sometimes I get letters from Nielsen with like $3 in them in the hopes that I’ll fill out a survey for them. Maybe this is something similar and the Census people mistakenly thought you were a Spanish speaker?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 7th, 2023 at 5:45:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You're about to be deported to Mexico.

National Traffic Safety sent me a couple dollars to fill out a motorcycle survey. Don't have a motorcycle any longer but still certified to drive one. After I returned it, they sent me a $10 bill.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 7th, 2023 at 6:44:22 PM permalink
Gandler
It seems like a survey incentive/enticement is likely the answer (I am not going to try to translate, I guess I will just enjoy a free 20.) Thanks guys!
November 8th, 2023 at 4:02:11 PM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler
It seems like a survey incentive/enticement is likely the answer (I am not going to try to translate, I guess I will just enjoy a free 20.) Thanks guys!

Here is an article from LA Times about "Project Gemini," which is a survey being done by the Census Bureau for the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
November 8th, 2023 at 4:13:21 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: ChesterDog
Here is an article from LA Times about "Project Gemini," which is a survey being done by the Census Bureau for the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Interesting.

It still does not make sense why they would send cash (can they not print checks like every other department?) And, why the letter would be in Spanish. Oh well, I guess I should not overthink it, free cash in the mail is always good (even if this is the only time that it has happened.)
November 8th, 2023 at 4:18:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Interesting.

It still does not make sense why they would send cash (can they not print checks like every other department?) And, why the letter would be in Spanish. Oh well, I guess I should not overthink it, free cash in the mail is always good (even if this is the only time that it has happened.)

Saves paper. Saves gas. You'd have to go to a bank.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 9th, 2023 at 5:44:36 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine

Interesting.

My wife’s daughters are ‘LOL’ at you! They don’t ‘go’ to a bank! They scan the check and the money is in their accounts. Then to pay someone cash they push the Venmo button. Or use a credit card which is auto-paid from said ‘bank account’. They don’t understand why paper still exists.
November 9th, 2023 at 6:12:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Interesting.

It is an old marketing trick. You have the cash so you feel more obligation to reply. I remember discussing it in college. It also makes you wonder about the rest and actually read it to figure out what it is all about.
The President is a fink.
November 9th, 2023 at 7:01:45 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
Quote: rxwine

Interesting.

My wife’s daughters are ‘LOL’ at you! They don’t ‘go’ to a bank! They scan the check and the money is in their accounts. Then to pay someone cash they push the Venmo button. Or use a credit card which is auto-paid from said ‘bank account’. They don’t understand why paper still exists.

I keep trying to show my parents how easy it is to cash a check on their banking app but they just refuse to listen.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
Page 1 of 41234>