Cash In the Mail from the Census Bearea

Page 3 of 4<1234>
November 13th, 2023 at 7:11:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
If you can't see how it is different for politicians to go after each other in the old way, and not the new way using biased agencies that favor one party, then that's a blindfold I can't take off for you, it's glued on.

Nothing new about it. There were 7 investigations of Benghazi. 6 of them by Republicans. Had there been anything they could pin on Hillary they would have used it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 13th, 2023 at 8:15:20 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: Tanko
The Census Bureau visited my home ten times over twelve months asking to interview the non-existent tenant in a large apartment I keep vacant. They always declined my offers to show them the empty apartment.

Two weeks after they finally gave up, I received a letter from the gas company saying they would arrive on a certain date to remove the gas meter that served the apartment, and that if I refused, they would take me to court. I suspect this was related to the CB visits.

I believe if I had a tenant, the CB would have reported it, and I would have received a tax bill from the IRS, the State and the City for unpaid taxes on the rental income.

Was this during a Census year? If not, the story is somewhat fantastic, as the Census Bureau typically does not engage in such investigations, and almost certainly do not liaison with other Fed or state agencies. Indeed, Fed law prohibits such communications.
November 13th, 2023 at 8:59:31 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
I thought you are required to house illegal immigrants for free?

He’s hiding Jan. 6th criminals up there, Anne Frank-style.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 13th, 2023 at 9:09:55 AM permalink
Tanko
Quote: GenoDRPh
Was this during a Census year? If not, the story is somewhat fantastic, as the Census Bureau typically does not engage in such investigations, and almost certainly do not liaison with other Fed or state agencies. Indeed, Fed law prohibits such communications.

Yes, it was. The first four visits occurred within six weeks. Then, nearly a year later, another census taker showed up. After two visits from her, she said "I have to come here four more times" Which she did. I also received two phone calls from her supervisor asking about the apartment during this time.

The rent I can get for that three bedroom duplex is not insignificant. Maybe it doesn't make sense to them why I would keep it vacant.

Federal law does prohibit them from sharing personal information. Perhaps a vacant apartment does not qualify as personal information.

I don't believe the removal of the meter was a coincidence.
November 13th, 2023 at 9:21:27 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: Tanko
Yes, it was. The first four visits occurred within six weeks. Then, nearly a year later, another census taker showed up. After two visits from her, she said "I have to come here four more times" Which she did. I also received two phone calls from her supervisor asking about the apartment during this time.

The rent I can get for that three bedroom duplex is not insignificant. Maybe it doesn't make sense to them why I would keep it vacant.

Federal law does prohibit them from sharing personal information. Perhaps a vacant apartment does not qualify as personal information.

I don't believe the removal of the meter was a coincidence.

I too was a landlord for quit some time, and coincidently my 2nd floor apartment was vacant during the census year of 2010. When the census documents went unreturned for the 2nd floor, the census taker visited. I informed them that I live on the 1st floor and he took my census. I told them the 2nd floor was vacant and was vacant when I recently purchased the home. He noted it down, said our goodbyes and the US Census Bureau never contacted me nor the residence again that year, or any year thereafter. Nor did the gas company come to remove the meter. They did, however, send letters asking for information for the American Community Survey, but that's voluntary and I let the then 2nd floor tenants worry about that.

Your experience, if indeed was the actual US Census Bureau under the Department of Commerce, was highly atypical, if indeed it did occur.
November 13th, 2023 at 9:21:57 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Census bureau says it does up to 6 follow-ups.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 13th, 2023 at 9:25:54 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: rxwine
Census bureau says it does up to 6 follow-ups.

Around here, once the census gets info on a dwelling-occupied or vacant-they move on and don't do follow ups. They will only follow up if the don't have info on a swelling, i.e. no response to mailings or site visit.
November 13th, 2023 at 10:19:35 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I got and get mail for people who lived previously where I moved into , as does everybody. But in some cases, I can tell a previous occupant is surely still using the old address for things, maybe the old driver's license unchanged, as he goes about his life, sometimes deciding I guess he doesn't want to use his new address.

Perhaps this sort of thing can prompt the census bureau into believing there is an occupant when there isn't?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 13th, 2023 at 10:36:18 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
My parents just got a jury duty summons for me in a county I haven’t lived in for 12 years now.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 13th, 2023 at 11:44:00 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: odiousgambit
I got and get mail for people who lived previously where I moved into , as does everybody. But in some cases, I can tell a previous occupant is surely still using the old address for things, maybe the old driver's license unchanged, as he goes about his life, sometimes deciding I guess he doesn't want to use his new address.

Perhaps this sort of thing can prompt the census bureau into believing there is an occupant when there isn't?

The US Census neither sends nor receives any data from any other source. It collects data on its own to produce statistics about the US population. Who lived there last week, last month, last year or last census doesn't concern them. They only care about who lived where on April 1 of each Census year.
Page 3 of 4<1234>