Grafton, NH

December 16th, 2023 at 1:09:53 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
I am all for getting rid of Minimum Wage. Work harder, work smarter, get paid more.

Nah. The bottom is inexorably linked to all but the very, very top. When you talk about the labor supply/demand market, I think it's good that you have some sort of base there. If the bottom falls out and you have people willing to work at the new lows, then it's going to pull down everything else around it. I guess you could make an argument that the current bottom is as much as set and nobody would work for sub-$7.25, but people must do it, or the Republicans wouldn't be so worried about non-documented immigrants potentially making the new minimum wage.

Besides, that higher minimum wage in conjunction with all of the social safety nets I'd eliminate? Let's just say that the public will be quite incentivized to work, state depending.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 16th, 2023 at 1:15:02 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Here's where another chunk of money is going:

The top level executives of firms of their combined pay of stock options and salary are way out of line.

So the interest on the deficit and executive compensation would make a massive difference.
December 16th, 2023 at 2:22:43 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: GenoDRPh
The lowest income Americans will continue to lose relative spending power.

Decades ago I would have fit in that group. In high school and college made minimum wage. How did I increase my ‘spending power’? By getting educated and getting a job which had me NOT being amongst the ‘lowest income Americans’. I’ll bet you have a similar story.

I want those unhappy with their incomes to work to figure out a way to no longer be a minimum wage worker. Learn to be a plumber. It’s not rocket science. How about Amazon truck driver? Not particularly complex. Waitress at Grover’s? Must be clearing $40 an hour.

Liberal Democrat philosophy…. I wont do it but pay me anyway.
December 16th, 2023 at 2:29:46 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mission146
Nah. The bottom is inexorably linked to all but the very, very top. When you talk about the labor supply/demand market, I think it's good that you have some sort of base there. If the bottom falls out and you have people willing to work at the new lows, then it's going to pull down everything else around it. I guess you could make an argument that the current bottom is as much as set and nobody would work for sub-$7.25, but people must do it, or the Republicans wouldn't be so worried about non-documented immigrants potentially making the new minimum wage.

Besides, that higher minimum wage in conjunction with all of the social safety nets I'd eliminate? Let's just say that the public will be quite incentivized to work, state depending.

Wow. You call yourself libertarian and are for the government telling me how much I have to pay my dog sitter? It’s $15 an hour in NY. So I want a kid to literally sit in my house from 4pm to 9pm while wifey and I go to dinner party and you think it is right for the government to prevent me from giving the 18 year old kid next door $50 to sit in my house? So assume I’m a law abiding citizen and can’t afford the $75 there is no transaction. I lose. The kid loses.

GET THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF FIXING SALARIES. If a company pays too little…. DON’T WORK FOR THEM!
December 16th, 2023 at 3:57:10 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
Wow. You call yourself libertarian and are for the government telling me how much I have to pay my dog sitter? It’s $15 an hour in NY. So I want a kid to literally sit in my house from 4pm to 9pm while wifey and I go to dinner party and you think it is right for the government to prevent me from giving the 18 year old kid next door $50 to sit in my house? So assume I’m a law abiding citizen and can’t afford the $75 there is no transaction. I lose. The kid loses.

GET THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF FIXING SALARIES. If a company pays too little…. DON’T WORK FOR THEM!

Dog sitter? No. I don’t understand why you’re giving your dog sitter a 1099 unless your dog sitter explicitly asked for one, which would have me equally confused. You’re not a business; you’re hiring someone on a contract basis to do you a personal service, and as far as I know, the dog sitter isn’t a business. If the dog sitter is a business, then they can only charge you $5 if they wanted to.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 16th, 2023 at 4:07:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Dog sitter? No. I don’t understand why you’re giving your dog sitter a 1099 unless your dog sitter explicitly asked for one, which would have me equally confused. You’re not a business; you’re hiring someone on a contract basis to do you a personal service, and as far as I know, the dog sitter isn’t a business. If the dog sitter is a business, then they can only charge you $5 if they wanted to.

Law states if you pay someone over IIRC $600 per year for services you must file a 1099.
The President is a fink.
December 16th, 2023 at 4:12:02 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Law states if you pay someone over IIRC $600 per year for services you must file a 1099.

Well, start with I’d eliminate Federal personal income tax entirely, so no such form would have any need to exist. Even if not, I’d absolutely never have created that law.

However, if I were POTUS, I’d simply order the IRS not to enforce that whatsoever and make an announcement to the same effect.
December 16th, 2023 at 4:55:44 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: SOOPOO
Decades ago I would have fit in that group. In high school and college made minimum wage. How did I increase my ‘spending power’? By getting educated and getting a job which had me NOT being amongst the ‘lowest income Americans’. I’ll bet you have a similar story.

I want those unhappy with their incomes to work to figure out a way to no longer be a minimum wage worker. Learn to be a plumber. It’s not rocket science. How about Amazon truck driver? Not particularly complex. Waitress at Grover’s? Must be clearing $40 an hour.

Liberal Democrat philosophy…. I wont do it but pay me anyway.

Can you point out the original source for my supposed quote?
December 16th, 2023 at 4:56:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Well, start with I’d eliminate Federal personal income tax entirely, so no such form would have any need to exist. Even if not, I’d absolutely never have created that law.

However, if I were POTUS, I’d simply order the IRS not to enforce that whatsoever and make an announcement to the same effect.

POTUS is not an emperor who can do that, no matter how much the current POTUS thinks he is one.
The President is a fink.
December 16th, 2023 at 5:18:09 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
POTUS is not an emperor who can do that, no matter how much the current POTUS thinks he is one.

Executive Branch = Enforcement. POTUS can order the IRS not to enforce something like that. Such enforcement probably isn’t even particularly profitable; it definitely wouldn’t be (much less provable, as well) if so many transactions weren’t electronic.

Don’t know if you noticed, but I’m pretty big on not putting the squeeze on the lowest income Americans, much less worrying about getting a piece of college students doing odd jobs.