Car Culture

Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »
April 25th, 2016 at 8:49:59 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: AZDuffman
... One thing I have found is if you go used truck go Ford. For some reason there is more selection on lots than any other make.

Ford F-series trucks have been the best selling vehicles in the United States for the past 30+ years. It is only natural that you will find more of them on the aftermarket. I don't know about this new aluminum body though.
April 25th, 2016 at 9:18:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
Ford F-series trucks have been the best selling vehicles in the United States for the past 30+ years. It is only natural that you will find more of them on the aftermarket. I don't know about this new aluminum body though.

GM sells more total trucks. But I am talking suvs and small pickups as well. Ford rules it all.
The President is a fink.
April 25th, 2016 at 10:49:04 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
GM sells more total trucks. But I am talking suvs and small pickups as well. Ford rules it all.
I have known several folks with 90's era Broncos and Rangers. All of them have had electrical problems (headlights, dome lights, window motors, radio, wipers). I would choose a Toyota pick-up over either.
April 25th, 2016 at 11:00:03 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
GM sells more total trucks...
What is the source of this statement? The articles I have come across have Ford moving more trucks than GM.
April 25th, 2016 at 11:13:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba
I have known several folks with 90's era Broncos and Rangers. All of them have had electrical problems (headlights, dome lights, window motors, radio, wipers). I would choose a Toyota pick-up over either.

Toyotas of that era had bad frame rot. I would look at the Tacoma next time but hard to find lightly used.

I have seen the numbers for gm trucks several places over the years. Bob Lutz mentions it in "Car Guys and Bean Counters"
The President is a fink.
April 25th, 2016 at 2:01:42 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I almost bought a Taco when the Dodge blew up. Had a 5 speed and everything, and I went a let the idiot salesman talk me out of it. I guess that would make me the idiot.

I just can't buy a Ford. I haven't even been in one in probably over ten years now. The interiors (at least late 90s - early aughts) were god awful. Everything was just so damn bubbly and rounded. Something about it really set me off, I'm talking even the font they used for the speedo made me rage lol.

But they are popular. Everything I saw shows them edging out Government Motors. In fact, they are or are very close to being on the podium for sales worldwide, which is hugely impressive as it's pretty much just America that buys pick-em ups. It was something like a sale every 8 seconds. Crazy stuff.

But I agree about the size. Good Christ. I parked next to a new Silverado at Lowe's the other day and he had 8" on me, easy. No 33's or lift or off road package either, just a stock truck. A lot of Suburbanites have Raptors now, too. Cuz you need an 8' wide, 6.7 litre monster to... tote the kids to soccer. Those things are even bigger.

All this bitching about gas mileage. How about stop making hatchbacks that weight 3,300 freaking pounds?

Maybe I will start a Go Fund Me. How much you reckon it takes to start up a car co.?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 25th, 2016 at 6:26:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
I just can't buy a Ford. I haven't even been in one in probably over ten years now. The interiors (at least late 90s - early aughts) were god awful. Everything was just so damn bubbly and rounded. Something about it really set me off, I'm talking even the font they used for the speedo made me rage lol.

It was called "symphony of ovals." The kind of thing some group of MBAs would come up with. The kind of thing that makes guys like me hate MBAs. Ford symbol is an oval, so reinforce the image of the symbol no matter how ugly. Same company that made the V-8 affordable. Unbelievable.

Quote:
But I agree about the size. Good Christ. I parked next to a new Silverado at Lowe's the other day and he had 8" on me, easy. No 33's or lift or off road package either, just a stock truck. A lot of Suburbanites have Raptors now, too. Cuz you need an 8' wide, 6.7 litre monster to... tote the kids to soccer. Those things are even bigger.

Worse is they cannot drive the things. I always remember the joke that a pessimist is a person who thinks a woman won't be able to put a large SUV into a space too small, an optimist is someone who thinks she won't try.
The President is a fink.
April 26th, 2016 at 6:20:13 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

All this bitching about gas mileage. How about stop making hatchbacks that weight 3,300 freaking pounds?

My two door weighs about 4,000 pounds.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 26th, 2016 at 7:39:48 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich
My two door weighs about 4,000 pounds.

You don't even have to specify "what". I'm not surprised at all.

Golf line, 1,750lbs old vs 3,075lbs new. I checked the Civic line for sh!ts and gigs - 1,500lbs vs 2,923.

How do they cram a whole 'nuther car in there?!

It just doesn't make any sense. Everyone cries about mpg, whether from a cost of operation standpoint or an environmental one. My racecar is about as spartan as they come, even when it was a street car. But without 10 computers, without tax subsidies, without a bespoke motor than runs on burrito grease and unicorn piss, I could make it a 50-70mpg hyper miler using completely stock, excessively common parts. The only "downside" is said setup would have 85-90hp. One might say that's too little, even dangerous if you were a highway driver. But that 90hp comes in a package under a ton, that's 90hp per ton. Your car might highlight its 210hp; all cars do. But when it's in a 4,000lb package, guess what? Still ~90hp per ton. We'd have comparable 0-60 times, comparable 60-100 times, and mine would stop faster, turn harder, get twice your mpg, etc and so forth. And I could build mine for under $2k lol.

"Good Enough Motors". Slogan - "It's a real GEM"
Second run: "GEM, cars you can dig"

"For industrial and commercial vehicles, try our Diamond line. Indestructible and last forever.
High performance? The Obsidian line is for you. The sharpest cars out there, cutting the competition to shreds."

I got a billion dollars in this head of mine. Who's in? =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 26th, 2016 at 10:35:07 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

How do they cram a whole 'nuther car in there?!
)

Easy. Plastic instead of metal wherever they
can get away with it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »