Random Thought of the Day

September 28th, 2016 at 7:16:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I suspect the President and top Republicans, and Democrats in both houses are in secret collusion on this Saudi lawsuit business.

The President is able to throw up his hands and say I did my best and keep personal goodwill with the Saudis which a lot of people probably think is necessary while the Congress does what needs to be done.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 28th, 2016 at 7:31:58 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
I suspect the President and top Republicans, and Democrats in both houses are in secret collusion on this Saudi lawsuit business.

The President is able to throw up his hands and say I did my best and keep personal goodwill with the Saudis which a lot of people probably think is necessary while the Congress does what needs to be done.

Are the Saudis complicit in 9/11?
Lets say an extremist from the UK comes to the US and does a terrorist act.
Sue the British govt? Try to get them to reveal their intelligence methods and documents to satisfy a lawsuit. An Ally.
If a country is determined to be a state sponsored terrorism country, they can be sued anyway.
Just something to think about
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 28th, 2016 at 8:02:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: terapined
Are the Saudis complicit in 9/11?
Lets say an extremist from the UK comes to the US and does a terrorist act.
Sue the British govt? Try to get them to reveal their intelligence methods and documents to satisfy a lawsuit. An Ally.
If a country is determined to be a state sponsored terrorism country, they can be sued anyway.
Just something to think about

I don't know anything about what should be done. But it sure smells of political theater.

Political theater as I define it (for example) is where one party pretends they would vote for something if they had the majority, but really wouldn't want to if they did have the majority. But they make a big show because there is some other benefit to doing so. This looks the same to me.

In this case the political theater is to appease two different groups without upsetting either too much.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 29th, 2016 at 1:21:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Nareed
How much would you pay for a single short story in ebook format? is $1 US too little or too much?

How about a short novella, say between 70-90 pages long? Does $2.50 seem right?

I'm estimating my first story, which I may yet finish before the year is out, will come to about 40-50 pages. Here "page" means your average paperback page with about 275 words each. That's pretty much novella length, or a very long short story. A novel is between 150-300 pages (usually, I've read several much longer than that), so if an ebook retails for $5, then $1 for a novella is a bit overpriced, as six of them could fit a longish novel...

Hmm....
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 29th, 2016 at 2:13:21 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Nareed
I'm estimating my first story, which I may yet finish before the year is out, will come to about 40-50 pages. Here "page" means your average paperback page with about 275 words each. That's pretty much novella length, or a very long short story. A novel is between 150-300 pages (usually, I've read several much longer than that), so if an ebook retails for $5, then $1 for a novella is a bit overpriced, as six of them could fit a longish novel...

Hmm....

I have bought a very short ebook.
31 pages 99 cents
Its the Face off series that intrigued me to buy
They get 2 well known writers that have there own main character they write about and get them together to write a short story.
Have those 2 characters interact in a short story
I am a huge Michael Connolly fan and have read all the police Det Bosch books
I am a huge Dennis Lehane fan and read all the private Det Patrick Kenzie books
So I bought Red Eye :-)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P42WXYU/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o03_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the whole anthology face off book but a lot of these writers and characters I am unfamiliar with
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GEEB3WK?ref_=k4w_embed_details_error&tag=bing08-20&linkCode=kpp
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 29th, 2016 at 2:22:17 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
That is because semen is high in zinc.
September 29th, 2016 at 8:03:33 PM permalink
rxwine
I completely miss entire fads now. It did make it to Texas apparently.

September 30th, 2016 at 6:50:40 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
I don't know anything about what should be done. But it sure smells of political theater.

Political theater as I define it (for example) is where one party pretends they would vote for something if they had the majority, but really wouldn't want to if they did have the majority. But they make a big show because there is some other benefit to doing so. This looks the same to me.

In this case the political theater is to appease two different groups without upsetting either too much.

Hmm
Now Congress seems to being having buyers remorse.
Paul Ryan
"I'd like to think there is a way we can fix it so that our service members do not have legal problems overseas while still protecting the rights of the 9/11 victims"

Mitch McConnell
"Because everyone was aware who the potential beneficiaries were, but nobody focused on the potential downside in terms of our international relationships. And I just think it was a ball dropped I wish the President -- and I hate to blame everything on him and I don't -- but it would have been helpful had...we had a discussion about this much earlier than the last week."

Wow, Mitch did just blame the President for Mitch's vote
WTF
Ignorance is no excuse
September 30th, 2016 at 8:30:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
Wow, Mitch did just blame the President for Mitch's vote
WTF

It seems when the president vetoes a bill, that's the signal that it's a great bill, the best bill this grand Congress has ever passed.

Did they even read it before voting on it?

Quote:
Ignorance is no excuse

Yes it is. For a recall election.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 30th, 2016 at 12:36:04 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Our Canadian hipster Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was elected partially on quickly bringing 10's of thousands of refugees to Canada. When asked after he was elected why he was proceeding so fast with it his answer was "because it is 2015".

He has spent his whole time since he was elected travelling the world for photo ops. A selfie has just surfaced that was taken by and with someone from the RCMP's terrorist watch list. Hopefully security reality might start kicking in for him.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin