Quote: Face
Stop the madness

Thank you, Thank You, thank you!

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 8th, 2014 at 11:57:11 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
atleast OdiousGambit can be consoled by his new heart throb.

now that I think about it, there is one way I could still get into this Christmas thing early

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 8th, 2014 at 1:00:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
While working out the other day, I half-consciously started mentally listing the history podcasts and history lecture series from the Great courses I've listened to. Aside from one-off oddities like "Big History," about 90% of it is either Ancient History til around 400 AD or Modern history from the Renaissance onward. Most of the rest are histories of science.

This seemed odd, as there is a 1,000-year period missing.

Then I realized, I'm most interested in, largely European, history when Christianity is not the dominant cultural force.

Of course there are some interesting parts to the Dark Ages. Charlemagne, for one. The slow and steady decay of the Eastern Roman Empire (the Byzantine Empire) for another. But a lot of the politics of the time is wrapped up in the church. There are ecumenical councils galore, religious wars, religious conflicts. It seems the first third of the Middle Ages was a big fight about the nature of the trinity.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 8th, 2014 at 1:54:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
now that I think about it, there is one way I could still get into this Christmas thing early

Yeah, you have a point there.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 8th, 2014 at 2:08:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Stop the madness. Keep Christmas where it belongs.

On badly animated TV specials? ;)

Having been raised Jewish and then found atheism, I've never once celebrated Christmas. I've never bought presents, decorated a fire hazard inside the house, or even sent cards through the mail (I tried the latter once and it didn't work).

Just the same I don't care if people begin the celebrations weeks before or sooner. It's all the same to me. In fact, I'd argue the NFL has all holidays beat. The whole season is a build-up to the Big Game Holiday. Seriously. The season is too short, it's over too quickly, and really only a few games get played. It's all one big months-long advertisement for the Super Bowl.

And all that pales in comparison to the Presidential Election. People have been celebrating that since November 2012!

So there :)
December 8th, 2014 at 2:34:27 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice.

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill.
I will choose a path that's clear.
I will choose free will."

I rather like that song.
December 9th, 2014 at 5:23:45 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
It seems the first third of the Middle Ages was a big fight about the nature of the trinity.
Nah, religion is always the excuse, never the real reason.

Take a quick gander at the Wall Street Journal's presentation of the First Millenium at about the time of the Year 2000 End of the World nonsense. Great trading center in Africa, great learning center in Arabia. Trade routes throughout the world.
December 9th, 2014 at 5:50:16 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Lyrics are: Free Will by RUSH.
December 14th, 2014 at 2:39:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Gorilla knows.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 14th, 2014 at 4:48:45 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: rxwine
Gorilla knows.
Yes, but this was not really a reaction to the kid's display or it would have been more severe and prolonged. Animals in captivity have been know to try to kill lab assistants with heavy gates or the like. Yet some gorillas have displayed maternal behavior towards toddlers who have fallen into their territory.

Remember one of those early Rod Serling specials. USAF space rocket lands on planet with advanced civilization and is taken to a guest house reminiscent of the fifties. Furniture, TV and telephone etc. Then one of the walls slides open and dozens of people standing outside applaud and spaceman sees the sign: Earthman in native habitat and realizes he is in a zoo.