Random Thought of the Day

October 24th, 2018 at 1:38:42 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: kenarman
Quote: rxwine
Quote: Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
I was just wondering. With the alleged murder that took place at the Saudi consulate in Turkey, which country did the crime take place in?

Scott Adams asks an interesting question.
Do you know anybody besides CNN and
MS that gives one damn about this story?
16 journalists were killed in Mexico last
your and they said not a word. Yet this
non story is on CNN non stop. Why?

it doesn't take a genius to figure out why any of our allies head of states possibly being directly linked to a murder is news.

Unless of course it is your own head of state. American drone attacks killed over 3,500 people under Obama. None of them were in the US but in foreign countries. Many of these were pure assassinations of people who's politics the US didn't agree with. Hard to claim that the Saudi's don't have the right to eliminate their citizens they considerate terrorists.

Wasn't the journalist an American citizen, not Saudi?
October 24th, 2018 at 2:03:22 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
Quote: kenarman
Quote: Evenbob
I was just wondering. With the alleged murder that took place at the Saudi consulate in Turkey, which country did the crime take place in?

Scott Adams asks an interesting question.
Do you know anybody besides CNN and
MS that gives one damn about this story?
16 journalists were killed in Mexico last
your and they said not a word. Yet this
non story is on CNN non stop. Why?

it doesn't take a genius to figure out why any of our allies head of states possibly being directly linked to a murder is news.

Unless of course it is your own head of state. American drone attacks killed over 3,500 people under Obama. None of them were in the US but in foreign countries. Many of these were pure assassinations of people who's politics the US didn't agree with. Hard to claim that the Saudi's don't have the right to eliminate their citizens they considerate terrorists.

Wasn't the journalist an American citizen, not Saudi?

Saudi citizen
Lived in the USA the last year and wrote for the Washington Post for the last year
This was a man that spoke up and about democracy.
The Saudi rulers are completely against democracy so they simply killed him.
He had 2 million twitter followers, The Saudi govt deemed him a threat
its important to defend all journalists writing for US publications promoting democracy in the middle east
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 24th, 2018 at 4:36:50 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3

I believe it counts as Saudi sovereign territory, which generally means the most direct actions they can take are expelling people and closing the embassy.

They can take other diplomatic actions, such as sanctions.

There may have been some Turkish laws broken - the saudi's did deploy a decoy into Turkish territory in the man's clothes, and one way or another the body had to be transported into or through turkey, unless it is still there.

There is also a possibility of going after the hit men for having invalid visas, or for obtaining visas under fraudulent circumstances, or being unregistered foreign agents instead of diplomats, that sort of thing.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 24th, 2018 at 4:56:12 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
There is a lot of info, some footnoted about Kashoggi, if anyone runs out of things they like to read, on Washington's blog: https://washingtonsblog.com/2018/10/jamal-khashoggi-where-the-road-to-damascus-the-path-to-9-11-converge.html
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 27th, 2018 at 9:41:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Was driving back through Georgia Friday night after visiting brother's family and at 1:15am ran into backed up traffic. Figured if it was an accident, it would be cleared in an hour or two at most.

^$(^@%ING Damn optimistic that was. I and about 1000 other cars & drivers were stuck there until 7:30am. A logging truck had crashed. One other car was smashed up. They literally had to check under every log for any victims. No food water or bathrooms for anyone. Just stuck bumf***ng nowhere.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 27th, 2018 at 10:25:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

^$(^@%ING Damn optimistic that was. I and about 1000 other cars & drivers were stuck there until 7:30am. .

Thanks for the schadenfreude..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 27th, 2018 at 11:47:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Radio stations in the area? Satellite services or gps alerts?
October 28th, 2018 at 6:04:45 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I play basketball. My regular game is generally a mixture of African Americans and Caucasians. (I really prefer saying blacks and whites). Yesterday I was the only white guy out the 12 who showed up. It certainly made no difference to anyone there. I also like that there is no ageism in the game. The 21 year olds treat me as a basketball player, not an old basketball player.
November 13th, 2018 at 11:21:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Shaquille O'Neil only made one 3 point shot in his entire career.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 26th, 2018 at 2:42:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
there are a bunch of signs you can buy and hang in your mancave, hunting cabin, etc, and most of them stink, too corny

some of them are pretty good though. Maybe I'll post one once in a while

today's:

"If a man is alone in the woods, with no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]