Random Thought of the Day

October 4th, 2020 at 3:20:05 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
pretty interesting video

unanswered: where did they get all that footage about Japanese paratroopers and why have I never seen it?

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 5th, 2020 at 3:03:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Almost stepped on a dead squirrel today. I might have stepped on it last night walking that same way. Looked like it had lost a foot. Was under a powerline.

Don't know if it's possible he got zapped. I didn't think that was possible or I would likely see squirrels catching fire more often.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 5th, 2020 at 3:31:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Almost stepped on a dead squirrel today. I might have stepped on it last night walking that same way. Looked like it had lost a foot. Was under a powerline.

Don't know if it's possible he got zapped. I didn't think that was possible or I would likely see squirrels catching fire more often.
They are hard to keep lit.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 6th, 2020 at 1:19:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Ate foot to escape trap? Unlikely it was grounded,
October 6th, 2020 at 3:27:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
when I was a kid squirrels would get into transformers and they'd explode with a big boom. At least we were told it was squirrels. Thinking back about it now, it seems odd they didn't make them squirrel-proof a lot sooner than they did [they must be now as this doesn't happen, at least when a transformer goes out it's rare and there's no assumption it was a bushytail]

back then they'd replace the transformer within hours it seemed like

today in discussion about transformers that would go out in a coronal mass ejection disaster, the scenario comes up that millions could die because it would be months before all the transformers could be replaced along with whatever other repair is needed. The talk is like the whole system would have to be rebuilt from scratch
October 12th, 2020 at 8:14:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
The local movie theater doesn't have good sound deadening, so if a popular movie is playing next to one I'm in, often you constantly hear all these explosions. People love em.

With all this theory that we are living in a simulation, it just occurred to me that The Simulators* really love explosions. All kinds of stuff can dramatically explode. Radioactive materials, if fissile, and reaching critical mass, especially of course

So do The Simulators plan it that way, eventually intelligent life will create these really great explosions [great in Their view]?

* I think if God is capitalized, The Simulators has to be too
October 14th, 2020 at 10:58:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
There’s a company offering DNA tracking for cats, similar to 23 and me. If my sister’s cat hadn’t just died, I might get it for her birthday.

Unimportant Note to Drich. Last night l decided to look at my parent’s last home in Fort Myers which they sold in 1999. Google street view just shows an empty lot. Apparently in 2016 part of it burned in a fire. Don’t know the reason, Apparently they tried to sell the house without repairing anything. Rot and mold took the rest of it in the next year.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 14th, 2020 at 12:36:14 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine

Unimportant Note to Drich. Last night l decided to look at my parent’s last home in Fort Myers which they sold in 1999. Google street view just shows an empty lot. Apparently in 2016 part of it burned in a fire. Don’t know the reason, Apparently they tried to sell the house without repairing anything. Rot and mold took the rest of it in the next year.

My parents built their house in Cape Coral in 1990. According to my father their house is so old that it is unlikely the next buyer will keep the house. I guess the land is valuable enough now that people will buy it for the lot and demolish the "old" house and put up something new. Seems crazy to anyone that grew up back east that a 30 year old house is too old.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 14th, 2020 at 4:05:09 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
My parents built their house in Cape Coral in 1990. According to my father their house is so old that it is unlikely the next buyer will keep the house. I guess the land is valuable enough now that people will buy it for the lot and demolish the "old" house and put up something new. Seems crazy to anyone that grew up back east that a 30 year old house is too old.

In Vancouver people are paying $1.5 Million for 50 year old tear downs that have been renovated several times and perfectly livable.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 14th, 2020 at 4:46:56 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Foreign millionaires? Mostly Chinese I think.