Random Thought of the Day

February 3rd, 2023 at 4:48:06 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: DRich
I always prefer older pilots because they obviously went that long without having an accident fatal to them.

Me too.

The thought was reinforced on my last flight when the pilot spoke on the intercom.

I could tell he was young.

But he seemed to do very good, so I was more relieved as time progressed.

With the article, I'd look at the commercial airlines.

I know Southwest (LUV) had some issues recently relative to the others.

So that was a negative pattern.

When the vaccine mandates occurred, the airlines could have lost a percentage of the pilots.

The ones remaining likely got a hefty pay raise.

But I don't know if there are pilot shortages.

Just being aware right now.

I'm not convinced about time release safety regarding these types of vaccines.
February 3rd, 2023 at 5:01:06 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DoubleGold

But I don't know if there are pilot shortages..

There is no pilot shortage due to the vaccine
The numbers in the Tyler Durden article are totally made up.
Total fiction.
Make believe by anti vaxxers
Tyler Durden has got to be one of the most gullible people on the planet. An anti vaxxer comes up with numbers that are completely absurd. No way Tyler checks these absurd numbers. He believes all the anti vaxxer BS so he writes an article about made up statistics trying to sound like a real journalist. The stats are just a figment of somebody's imagination that have absolutely no connection to reality.
Come on Petroglyph
You believed this BS on face value????????? The numbers are beyond absurd
That's why there is no source. It's impossible to source a figment of somebody's imagination just making up numbers out of thin air.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 3rd, 2023 at 5:05:23 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: terapined
There is no pilot shortage due to the vaccine
The numbers in the Tyler Durden article are totally made up.
Total fiction.
Make believe by anti vaxxers
Tyler Durden has got to be one of the most gullible people on the planet. An anti vaxxer comes up with numbers that are completely absurd. No way Tyler checks these absurd numbers. He believes all the anti vaxxer BS so he writes an article about made up statistics trying to sound like a real journalist. The stats are just a figment of somebody's imagination that have absolutely no connection to reality.
Come on Petroglyph
You believed this BS on face value????????? The numbers are beyond absurd

If there are shortages, I'd hurry up and recruit some newbies for training free of charge.
February 3rd, 2023 at 5:27:46 AM permalink
DoubleGold
This is one of the quotes that stood out in the original article written by Carly Mayberry:

"Long said she was not only ignored but received threats against her career after speaking up."

Information has to flow freely.

I know the medical boards can revoke a doctor's license for having a public opinion against a pre-determined narrative.

As a consumer, I want to know both sides of an issue.

If someone is restricted in their public opinion, then I have a tendency to reserve my opinion.
February 3rd, 2023 at 6:01:09 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
If there are shortages, I'd hurry up and recruit some newbies for training free of charge.

Here you go.

'United Airlines opens its own flight school to help attract pilots'

During the pandemic, the airlines offered buyouts to employees, including pilots. Now they're short handed.
February 3rd, 2023 at 6:36:54 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
Here you go.

During the pandemic, the airlines offered buyouts to employees, including pilots. Now they're short handed.

This is common everywhere
I got an early retirement offer from my company
Took it
Now getting emails from to consider coming back to work with some really nice offers.
No doubt worker shortages are not due to people dying from the vaccine :-)
Not unless you believe the BS Tyler Durden pushes
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 3rd, 2023 at 6:48:59 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: Tanko
Here you go.

TY Tanko.

It looks like MSM is admitting there's a pilot shortage.

What they might not admit at this juncture, is any negative information against a pre-determined narrative pertaining to vaccines.

For me, I have to have both sides of an issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The U.S. has a pilot shortage — here’s how airlines are trying to fix it

Management consulting firm Oliver Wyman estimates the industry is facing a deficit of about 8,000 pilots, or 11% of the total workforce, and says the shortfall could reach 30,000 pilots by 2025.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/13/the-us-has-a-pilot-shortage-heres-how-airlines-are-trying-to-fix-it.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
February 4th, 2023 at 4:10:15 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

But I don't know if there are pilot shortages.

There is a huge pilot shortage about to happen. Don't be surprised if the major airlines start buying the regionals (or just cancelling their contracts with them) just to get access to the pilots. If you have teenage children it may be a good field for them to explore.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 4th, 2023 at 4:16:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Maybe I've mentioned this before, repeating myself, but a topic of conversation in 2019 was what in the world are we going to do to create enough jobs? It was clear that mechanization was eliminating jobs, even jobs like bank teller. Pilots might be replaced with planes that don't need them, some day in the future

What a change!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 4th, 2023 at 7:46:24 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: odiousgambit
Maybe I've mentioned this before, repeating myself, but a topic of conversation in 2019 was what in the world are we going to do to create enough jobs? It was clear that mechanization was eliminating jobs, even jobs like bank teller. Pilots might be replaced with planes that don't need them, some day in the future

What a change!

Intellectual property (patents) is what we did when we lost the majority of our manufacturing jobs.

Encrypted blockchains could make banks obsolete.

I'd dump Gold in the case it becomes obsolete also.

Unless you want expensive teeth or jewelry.